• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skyeyes70

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2013
    Fishers
    All the advise I read says to take a class before you buy and to test out as many guns as you can.

So, here is my situation:
    I own a handgun that my dad gave me while I was in college (a long time ago)...it's commonly called a POS or one of the worst firearms ever made. I've not fired it very much over the years, but when I have, I've never had a problem with it jamming up. (Hangs head in shame) to the best of my knowledge, it has never been cleaned. It is a .380 and I feel like having is is better than having nothing.

However, I'm in the market to purchase something that I can carry. Before I drop the money, I go back to my first statement in this post.
    Also, my plan is to have my soon to be 15 year old daughter take the class with me and have her shoot the handgun we already have since it would likely be the one, God forbid, she would use in the home should anything horrible happen. Also, as soon the the sting of the big investment I am about to make on training, buying the handgun and ammo wears off, I will be replacing the POS.

So, any advise on a class for me and my daughter where I would have the opportunity to fire a variety of handguns in order to help me best determine what would work best for me to carry?

I'm willing to do a bit of driving in, around, or just outside the Indy area to find the fight fit for us.

thanks!!!!

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I think you could start at indygunsafety.com, get some training and experience with other handguns, and that may give you ideas about what kind of hand gun you may want.

There are other sources of training, that one's just a suggestion.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I'll throw another vote in for the folks at IndyGunSafety. They run classes almost every weekend and also have a gun shop attached to the classroom at their location. They're a good bunch of folks that will teach you safe gun handling and marksmanship.

You might also reach out to Coach at Bright Firearms Training. He's a top flight instructor as well and overall great guy to train with.

I think you could start at indygunsafety.com, get some training and experience with other handguns, and that may give you ideas about what kind of hand gun you may want.

There are other sources of training, that one's just a suggestion.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I recommend taking a NRA Basic Pistol course with just one gun - so that you can learn the fundamentals the right way. After you have the basics down, you can shoot a variety of guns to decide what you want to purchase.

But taking one training course while shooting multiple guns is bringing far too many variables into the equation, and likely to detract considerably from your learning experience.

TFT has a Basic Pistol course scheduled for Sept. 21. Check out www.tactical-firearms.com.

Guy

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    We do the NRA Basic Pistol, too. Indoor range with several firearms available to rent. Concur with Guy, you don't want to try too many pistols at first. "Dry-fit' several guns to see what fits your hand (and budget), and go from there.

Top Bottom