• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    How is the current law unjust? Is it just because people want to get high, stoned? What other reason would there be? What makes it unjust?
    I do not want to get high or stoned. I do not want to get drunk everytime I sip an adult beverage.
    Its none of the governments business until I cause harm to someone else.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Your posts imply you'd vote against legal mj, hence implying you do wish to use the force of law to lock people in cages in order to prevent them from smoking a weed. Is any of that incorrect?

No one cares about the 4473, I'm sure everyone arguing for indiana legalization also wants national legalization. I don't smoke so it doesnt effect me either way. I do pay taxes to keep stoners locked up though and I'd like to stop.
    There’s that disingenuous argument again. It’s more than just a weed. Everyone knows this. If it’s nothing more than a weed, there’s plenty of crab grass in my yard. Someone can smoke all they want and not go to jail.

I’m not saying that because I disagree with legalization. I’m in favor of it. I disagree with using dishonest arguments.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There’s that disingenuous argument again. It’s more than just a weed. Everyone knows this. If it’s nothing more than a weed, there’s plenty of crab grass in my yard. Someone can smoke all they want and not go to jail.

I’m not saying that because I disagree with legalization. I’m in favor of it. I disagree with using dishonest arguments.

It's not disingenuous it is a weed, a plant, what would you have me call it? Whats the proper, honest word I should be using?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's not disingenuous it is a weed, a plant, what would you have me call it? Whats the proper, honest word I should be using?
    It is a weed. So is my crab grass and that’s not illegal. It’s status as a weed is not the reason mj is schedule 1. It’s schedule 1 because it’s also a drug. It’s disingenuous because you’re intentionally minimizing the reason that it’s illegal, as if the only thing that matters is that it’s a weed. If that were true, I should make a fortune harvesting and selling my crabgrass. Let’s just say it’s been a good year.

An honest argument would be up front about the reason it’s illegal. You want to make a case against that, then go through the list of qualifiers of schedule 1 drugs, and dismantle the applicability for each.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    No, the fact that it's been elevated to a schedule 1 drug is the disingenuous part of this entire charade.
    Calling it what it is, a plant, is only minimizing it if you've bought into the propaganda. The fact that we elevate it to such a status is part of the problem.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No, the fact that it's been elevated to a schedule 1 drug is the disingenuous part of this entire charade.
    Calling it what it is, a plant, is only minimizing it if you've bought into the propaganda. The fact that we elevate it to such a status is part of the problem.

From https://www.dea.gov/drug-scheduling

Schedule I

Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:

heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote

That is the complete text under Schedule 1. So what about that description was untrue when it was scheduled or is untrue now. To save time, please note that the childhood epilepsy drug Epidiolex is a standardized extract of cannabidiol (CBD) and Marinol is a synthetic version of ∆9-Tetrahydrocannabinol. No part of just plain leaf marijuana has ever been approved by the FDA, I don't think it has even been tested due to the high number of compounds in any given leaf. Scientific testing needs a more precisely characterized compound in order for the results to be meaningful

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I won’t even begin to say that I’m smart enough to have an educated opinion of this but I found this article to be interesting, there has been a lot of talk about medical marijuana have all of these great effects but little data from the other side of the coin,
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...ijuana-pot-health-risks-legalization.amp.html

as far as the argument of it should be legalized for freedoms sake does that include all illegal drugs (heroin, meth, cocaine, etc) where does the freedom argument end and why?

again to be perfectly honest I’m not sure what side of the fence I’m on, just like to look at both sides, legal, ethical, financial, societal***,,

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

That is the complete text under Schedule 1. So what about that description was untrue when it was scheduled or is untrue now. To save time, please note that the childhood epilepsy drug Epidiolex is a standardized extract of cannabidiol (CBD) and Marinol is a synthetic version of ∆9-Tetrahydrocannabinol. No part of just plain leaf marijuana has ever been approved by the FDA, I don't think it has even been tested due to the high number of compounds in any given leaf. Scientific testing needs a more precisely characterized compound in order for the results to be meaningful

"Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse."

By that definition, alcohol should be classified as a Schedule 1 drug.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis

Bug, you linked a summary description, not the schedule itself.

From Cornell's law archive, in reference to 21 US Code 812 (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/21/812):

(1)Schedule I.—
    (A)The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
    (B)The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
    (C)There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

Does Marijuana fit these criteria (as vague and porous as they are)?

1a) What is abuse? Is using an intoxicant to become intoxicated (in and of itself) abuse? Or does simple use require a complicating factor to become abuse? It seems to me that alcohol the most appropriate analog for this example...people everywhere use alcohol as an intoxicant. Is that abuse? I don't see how that argument holds water, and by extension I think marijuana is a poor fit for this criteria.

1b) "Currently accepted medical use" You yourself have already listed two compounds active in Marijuana that are FDA approved as medicine. In several US States doctors can already prescribe marijuana as medicine. Since, in actual practice, Marijuana is already widely accepted as medicine this criteria also fits poorly.

1c) C'mon...I mean really? Unsafe, even under medical supervision? Marijuana? Occasional adult use of marijuana is not indicated as a factor in any documented medical diagnosis and has not been statistically linked increased mortality or reduced lifespan...marijuana does not fit this criteria in any way.

Marijuana doesn't belong on Schedule 1 or any of the other four. Marijuana is a natural intoxicant and should be treated as such - similar to the way we treat other natural intoxicants like alcohol and tobacco. There is already a widely accepted set of mores surrounding public use of intoxicants...applying those same mores to marijuana makes far more sense than prohibition and criminalization of this incredibly widely-used natural intoxicant.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Bug, you linked a summary description, not the schedule itself.

From Cornell's law archive, in reference to 21 US Code 812 (https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/21/812):

(1)Schedule I.—
    (A)The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
    (B)The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
    (C)There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

Does Marijuana fit these criteria (as vague and porous as they are)?

1a) What is abuse? Is using an intoxicant to become intoxicated (in and of itself) abuse? Or does simple use require a complicating factor to become abuse? It seems to me that alcohol the most appropriate analog for this example...people everywhere use alcohol as an intoxicant. Is that abuse? I don't see how that argument holds water, and by extension I think marijuana is a poor fit for this criteria.

1b) "Currently accepted medical use" You yourself have already listed two compounds active in Marijuana that are FDA approved as medicine. In several US States doctors can already prescribe marijuana as medicine. Since, in actual practice, Marijuana is already widely accepted as medicine this criteria also fits poorly.

1c) C'mon...I mean really? Unsafe, even under medical supervision? Marijuana? Occasional adult use of marijuana is not indicated as a factor in any documented medical diagnosis and has not been statistically linked increased mortality or reduced lifespan...marijuana does not fit this criteria in any way.

Marijuana doesn't belong on Schedule 1 or any of the other four. Marijuana is a natural intoxicant and should be treated as such - similar to the way we treat other natural intoxicants like alcohol and tobacco. There is already a widely accepted set of mores surrounding public use of intoxicants...applying those same mores to marijuana makes far more sense than prohibition and criminalization of this incredibly widely-used natural intoxicant.

Okay, so the full version confirms that by this definition, alcohol should be a Schedule 1 drug. So keep that in mind the next time you crack open a cold one. It's exactly like shooting heroin.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have plenty of ragweed too. So can you get high with that?

C’mon, man. Be honest. You know why it’s illegal. Has nothing to do with being a plant. It’s because ingesting it makes you high.
    ETA, it’s fine to argue that it shouldn’t be on the schedule. I suggested that already. But to argue it’s just a weed/plant is disingenuous. You don’t have to argue disingenuously. It’s an easy enough case to make that it doesn’t belong on the schedule.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

There are other criteria. I think I posted them a couple of days ago from the FDA site. It’s medical use is becoming more accepted by medical professionals, but it’s also kinda like circular reasoning to say it should be on the schedule if it has no accepted medical use once it’s on the schedule. If it’s on the schedule it can’t have accepted medical use.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I won’t even begin to say that I’m smart enough to have an educated opinion of this but I found this article to be interesting, there has been a lot of talk about medical marijuana have all of these great effects but little data from the other side of the coin,
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...ijuana-pot-health-risks-legalization.amp.html

as far as the argument of it should be legalized for freedoms sake does that include all illegal drugs (heroin, meth, cocaine, etc) where does the freedom argument end and why?

again to be perfectly honest I’m not sure what side of the fence I’m on, just like to look at both sides, legal, ethical, financial, societal***,,

For me, it makes best sense to draw the line at the point where one cannot reasonably own or use something without a very high likelihood of causing others harm. So with guns, with what is currently available to citizens, as many as 100 million people are personally able to own an average 3 or 4 guns per person without harming others, with very few exceptions. Obviously firearm ownership isn’t a societal problem. Nukes, though, would be a problem. I don’t think a citizen can personally own nukes responsibly. I know plenty of “hold my beer” types who would eliminate entire cities.

Theres no evidence that light drugs like mj can’t be used responsibility such that it necessarily does harm to society. In fact, its prohibition does harm in other ways, such as organized crime, etcetera.

I don’t support legalization of drugs like Meth. It’s societal harm is very evident. The average meth user can’t help but impact society.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Got a link to show where the governor can keep this issue off the election ballot?

I'm not convinced he can. :dunno:
    Wasn’t it constitutional carry he got scuttled a couple of years ago? Not exactly a ballot measure but with a supermajority and willing cronies, if he doesn’t want something to see light of day, it doesn’t. But I kinda think this line of reasoning is silly. Whether it can or cannot get on the ballot has no bearing on whether it should. Not when the current legislature would ban ****ing any way but missionary if it thought it could get away with it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We should vote for it via referendum, up or down. Simple as that. Gov, legislature or anyone else would have trouble fighting against the popular vote in Indiana.

Of course, if you think you cannot win, it's a different story, right?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    When are we gonna vote in this?

We should vote for it via referendum, up or down. Simple as that. Gov, legislature or anyone else would have trouble fighting against the popular vote in Indiana.

Of course, if you think you cannot win, it's a different story, right?

How do propose we do that? Indiana doesn't have statewide referendums. We do have statewide ballot measures, but they can only be placed on the ballot by the legislature and only for the purpose of a Constitutional amendment.

And as for being afraid of it not winning if it was possible, well 70-80+% of hoosiers support legalization of at least medical use according to polling data. So....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom