Indiana Second Amendment March is now set!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    I like the family look of the other protest. I believe a bunch of people in rank and file formation, with guns, would give the wrong impression. Just my :twocents:

What you perceive as the "wrong impression" is exactly the impression we need to make. I found it shocking to see children accompany an armed march. I can't imagine controlling ranks with strollers present.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That's not what I had in mind. I never even considered that a gun slung over the back would be considered in a march. I was hoping to see this:

HPIM0439.JPG

Why are they on the sidewalk? They can get a permit to use a parade route.

What you perceive as the "wrong impression" is exactly the impression we need to make. I found it shocking to see children accompany an armed march. I can't imagine controlling ranks with strollers present.

Please start a new thread and inform me/us about the impression that you would like to make. I will be at the march on the 17th in compliance with the organizers' request(s).

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    When you organize your own protest you can feel free to arrange it as you'd like.

Question: would you march in something so ordered? Would you be willing to march to the front of the Federal Building, at arms and in ranks, and stand at Order Arms while the Declaration of Independence is read?

Note: you WILL be on tv, perhaps lots of it.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    It is quite large. I'm familiar with the manual of arms, and I couldn't recall which infrequent and obscure order resulted in an inverted barrel.

Even at "sling arms," a properly carried rifle is still forward of the carrier, on the right shoulder.

btw we arn't in the military... just an fyi.

we will not be carrying our weapons in that manner. the end

don't like it. don't go.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    btw we arn't in the military... just an fyi.

we will not be carrying our weapons in that manner. the end

don't like it. don't go.

This. ^^^^

Why don't you, as has been suggested, organize your own event, pay for the permit, pay for the overtime required to the IMPD and ISP, Insurance for the event, and marketing to let everyone know, and get back to us on how it went.

Coming from someone with such contempt for the Constitution, why do you even care?

Oh, and I would LOVE to see a picture of you with these firearms you say you own.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Pretty Much SE. :+1:

But more than anything I think what our friend here doesn't understand is the purpose of this event.

it is a peaceful "march". An opportunity to show that a large number of armed citizens can congregate without violence erupting in the streets.

We aren't trying to show force against the government or anyone else for that matter. We are just trying to show that law abiding citizens can bear arms without becoming raving lunatics.

We dress casually because, well, carrying for most of us IS casual.
    We bring our families and friends because that is who matters to us, and the reason we carry in the first place.
    We don't march in formation well because few of us know how and think that it would be stupid to do in the first place.
    We are just normal folk who work and go home.

In SE's walk many of the walkers were surprised on the reaction of the people we encountered. The general lack of fear. The spotting of genuine curiosity. and in the end, the relative indifference.

The "march" isn't so much a March as it is a parade. A Parade where a bunch of like minded individuals are getting together to show people who don't understand what we are all about.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    But we are the militia, and your event is an affiliate of the national Second Amendment March.

you are correct. All male citizens of Indiana are in spirit part of the state's Militia. However we would be described as "irregular" militia. AKA un-trained, non-professional, un-official last line of defense because the world went to hell soldiers that may be called upon in case of a absolutly cluster****ed catastrophe.

And the militia part of IC dosn't kick in untill the Gov actually calls upon us.

Thus "we aren't in the military"

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Pretty Much SE. :+1:

But more than anything I think what our friend here doesn't understand is the purpose of this event.

it is a peaceful "march". An opportunity to show that a large number of armed citizens can congregate without violence erupting in the streets.

Actually, here's your purpose:

"The mission of the Second Amendment March is to galvanize the courage and resolve of Americans; to petition our elected officials against establishing anti-gun legislation; and to remind America that the Second Amendment is necessary to maintain our right to self defense."

Our Mission | Second Amendment March

Sounds close to my vision, and Larry and I see eye to eye on most things.

We aren't trying to show force against the government or anyone else for that matter. We are just trying to show that law abiding citizens can bear arms without becoming raving lunatics.

When the military marches in a parade, nobody thinks of them as "raving lunatics." Further, my vision sounds like it would have a strong impact on "galvanizing our courage and resolve."

We are just normal folk who work and go home.

Kind of like Cincinnatus or the Minutemen, cool.

The "march" isn't so much a March as it is a parade. A Parade where a bunch of like minded individuals are getting together to show people who don't understand what we are all about.

Well, GOA says it a little more strongly: "Second Amendment March is a national event to take place in April, 2010 in Washington, D.C. and other cities across America. The purpose is to remind the U.S. Government that it is our right to keep and bear arms, and that right shall not be infringed."

I'd say a reading in front of the Federal Building is a pretty good "reminder," no?

" Our nation’s founders were specific and mindful of creating an Amendment that provided “we the people” with the protections they needed to defend their country, their freedom, their new government and way of life. They understood far too well the grips of tyranny. Thomas Jefferson said it best, “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”

As usual, GOA nails it. I'm a member of GOA, and I was hoping for something a bit more serious on the local level.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a member of GOA, and I was hoping for something a bit more serious on the local level.

Whip up an event then. Hold formation training (or w/ever you'd call it) a week prior, for those of us who knew the military recruiters were lying worse than used car salesmen, so we can learn the basics. I'll show up for the training & the march.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Just let this guy go on about whatever. He's just going to argue with you and make snide and irrelevant comments about... whatever. He's not going to organize his own event, he's not going to show up to this one, and even if he did, he's not going to tell you who he is. I've listened to about as much as I can from this guy and am going to ignore him as much as possible. Just know he's only here to stir the pot. Don't let him.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Whip up an event then. Hold formation training (or w/ever you'd call it) a week prior, for those of us who knew the military recruiters were lying worse than used car salesmen, so we can learn the basics. I'll show up for the training & the march.

Basic Training in the Air Force was six weeks when I was in. During that time we spent, on average, 1-2 hours a day training in marching in formation. (Starting together, stopping together, being able to turn a corner without turning into a mob, keeping constant distance from the row in front of you and from the person to your left, bunches of stuff that are not easy to someone who hasn't been trained in it.)

At the end of the six week period, with the final review, about 1/4 to 1/2 of the formations would screw something up. And you'd always get some fools who, despite all warnings, would lock their knees while at attention or parade rest and end up passing out.

That's a bunch of young folk in good to excellent physical condition (other services would rank, by that point "excellent to exceptional", so stipulated) and all in excellent health.

Try that with a bunch of average joes, without the extensive training specifically on formation marching, many in their 40's with sedentary jobs and enough overtime that they can't spend hours a day just marching from one place to another.

So your choice is something like half a dozen people marching neatly down the street eyes straight ahead, backs ramrod straight; or 30 or more people calmly walking down the sidewalk with their families, chatting in a friendly fashion with folk they meet, answering questions who just happen to be carrying guns.

I know which group would impress me more.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    So your choice is something like half a dozen people marching neatly down the street eyes straight ahead, backs ramrod straight; or 30 or more people calmly walking down the sidewalk with their families, chatting in a friendly fashion with folk they meet, answering questions who just happen to be carrying guns.

And it's not just that. We found, that while in most places downtown on the sidewalk you can walk 3-4 wide and not disrupt the flow of sidewalk traffic (which is required if you don't want fined for not filing for a permit), some sidewalks only allow for 2-wide and some were more suited for single file if there had been sidewalk traffic.

That and you aren't allowed to walk in the road at all, except to cross the street.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    And it's not just that. We found, that while in most places downtown on the sidewalk you can walk 3-4 wide and not disrupt the flow of sidewalk traffic (which is required if you don't want fined for not filing for a permit), some sidewalks only allow for 2-wide and some were more suited for single file if there had been sidewalk traffic.

The commands for that are "column of twos from the left" and (IIRC, it's been a long time) "column of one from the left".

That and you aren't allowed to walk in the road at all, except to cross the street.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I like the family look of the other protest. I believe a bunch of people in rank and file formation, with guns, would give the wrong impression. Just my :twocents:

:+1:
    I came here to post exactly this.

I would think we want to look like someone's neighbor, who just happen to be carrying, as opposed to an armed Militia.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Basic Training in the Air Force was six weeks when I was in. During that time we spent, on average, 1-2 hours a day training in marching in formation. (Starting together, stopping together, being able to turn a corner without turning into a mob, keeping constant distance from the row in front of you and from the person to your left, bunches of stuff that are not easy to someone who hasn't been trained in it.)

At the end of the six week period, with the final review, about 1/4 to 1/2 of the formations would screw something up. And you'd always get some fools who, despite all warnings, would lock their knees while at attention or parade rest and end up passing out.

That's a bunch of young folk in good to excellent physical condition (other services would rank, by that point "excellent to exceptional", so stipulated) and all in excellent health.

Try that with a bunch of average joes, without the extensive training specifically on formation marching, many in their 40's with sedentary jobs and enough overtime that they can't spend hours a day just marching from one place to another.

In all seriousness, that was the Air Force. They give a ribbon for passing boot camp. :D

"Forward, harch [sic]" and "company, halt!" are pretty easy for anyone to get. So is a crude form of "Attention." Five wide at right shoulder arms will get the job done. "Form up" is also pretty easy. We're not going to do drill team, flipping rifles to one another.

Further, this is the militia. Some manner of drill is required.

We need a rudimentary uniform. I'll toss out black slacks, a red polo shirt, sunglasses and a beret for Summer parade dress.

I know which group would impress me more.

That's really a pretty weak and strained false dichotomy. Further, most people would not take seriously some dude with an AR slung around his back, pulling a Little Tykes wagon.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    In all seriousness, that was the Air Force. They give a ribbon for passing boot camp. :D

"Forward, harch [sic]" and "company, halt!" are pretty easy for anyone to get. So is a crude form of "Attention." Five wide at right shoulder arms will get the job done. "Form up" is also pretty easy. We're not going to do drill team, flipping rifles to one another.

Further, this is the militia. Some manner of drill is required.

We need a rudimentary uniform. I'll toss out black slacks, a red polo shirt, sunglasses and a beret for Summer parade dress.

No. this isn't a militia function. its a civilian protest march (walk, parade...whatever :rolleyes:).

No Drills.
    No standing at attention.
    And no stupid uniforms.

That's really a pretty weak and strained false dichotomy. Further, most people would not take seriously some dude with an AR slung around his back, pulling a Little Tykes wagon.

And how is it a false dichotomy? are you saying that people going about their lives in daily dress while doing normal activities with their families shouldn't be armed? That only those in uniform should posses arms in public view?

And what do you mean by won't be taken seriously? that is pretty obscure. Its not like the man is wearing clown shoes. How exactly do you think we should be taken?

Top Bottom