Indiana Knife Law: stop the misinformation!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ASP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    FOLKS-In direct dialogue with the Attorney General's Office, spring assited knives are illegal.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    FOLKS-In direct dialogue with the Attorney General's Office, spring assited knives are illegal.

can you please direct to the law? assisted open knives are NOT illegal in indiana. i know political figures, police officers, and lawyers who will tell you other wise, but they are 200% LEGAL in indiana. ASSISTED knives, not automatics (sometimes wrongfully called "assisted").

ASP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.

Sorry it's not my call. The AG says they are illegal. I think the box/marts stopped selling them after it was televised.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    yes, that is the law pertaining to AUTOS. it has been deemed not applicable to spring assisted knives. the spring must be released from pressure via a device like a button or a bolster, or lever.

all the box stores still sell assisted knives.

ASP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Well for grins contact the AG's office and ask them. I didn't make the rule. I used the same argument, but it didn't hold water. Best of luck.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Well I am reading the law and it says they are good to go. Just because the AG said it doesn't make it law the same way as just because a LEO says something doesn't necessarily mean its a law

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Well I am reading the law and it says they are good to go. Just because the AG said it doesn't make it law the same way as just because a LEO says something doesn't necessarily mean its a law

yep.

but for grins i emailed the AG office. when they respond i'll post it here. hopefully they don't try to bull me and say its illegal, since the law is pretty clear.

Last edited:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    no word yet. but its legal by state law. districts, townships, and cities may have ordances in place which ban them. but the STATE law allows them.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    cubby, ASP,

I'll end it here for you guys. Assuming the codes are listed in the thread correctly, the part about the "springs" and the "handle" refer ONLY to propelled blades.

The "OR" in the code refers to 2 separate things.

1. An automatic knife

and

2. A propelled knife.

A spring assisted knife is not "automatic".

A "propelled" blade can't be propelled by a spring or other device in the handle.

IANAL but I have an "inner attorney" :D

Hey, don't we have a member called "knife lawyer?"

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I have friends who are in Law school at IU and they said that was their take on it. But they are not lawyers either.

ASP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    FELLOW READERS. I HAVE NOTHING TO GAIN BY RELATING THIS INFORMATION.
    I’M NOT SELLING ANYTHING, LOOKING FOR APPROVAL OR FRIENDSHIP. I’M MERELY RELAYING TO YOU COLLECTIVELY WHAT WAS TOLD TO ME. I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY THAT THE WAY THE LAW USED TO BE WRITTEN WOULD EXCLUDE ASSIST STYLE KNIVES, THE LAW NOW DOESN’T.

Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a BLADE that:

CONDITION A)
    (1) opens automatically; OR
    CONDITION B)
    (2) may be PROPELLED;
    Options begin----------
    OPTION #1: by hand pressure applied to a button
    OPTION #2: device containing gas
    OPTION #3: SPRING
    OPTION #4: or other device
    Options end----------
    in the handle of the knife.
    SO (HIS POSITION WAS) AN ASSISTED KNIFE HAS A BLADE THAT IS PROPELLED BY A SPRING IN THE HANDLE OF THE KNIFE.
    LET’S SEE WHAT “THEIR” ANSWER IS. HOPEFULLY IT WON’T BE LIKE THE IRS WHERE ANSWERS TODAY MAY NOT BE THE SAME AS TOMORROW.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I’M NOT SELLING ANYTHING, LOOKING FOR APPROVAL OR FRIENDSHIP. I’M MERELY RELAYING TO YOU COLLECTIVELY WHAT WAS TOLD TO ME. I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY THAT THE WAY THE LAW USED TO BE WRITTEN WOULD EXCLUDE ASSIST STYLE KNIVES, THE LAW NOW DOESN’T.

Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a BLADE that:

CONDITION A)
    CONDITION B)
    (2) may be PROPELLED;
    Options begin----------
    Options end----------
    SO (HIS POSITION WAS) AN ASSISTED KNIFE HAS A BLADE THAT IS PROPELLED BY A SPRING IN THE HANDLE OF THE KNIFE.
    LET’S SEE WHAT “THEIR” ANSWER IS. HOPEFULLY IT WON’T BE LIKE THE IRS WHERE ANSWERS TODAY MAY NOT BE THE SAME AS TOMORROW.

Tell that to Wal-mart, Dick's, Gander Mt., Meijer, Dunhams, Don's, Pop Guns, The PX (Fort Ben & Atterbury), Pilot (exit 34 on I-69N), MC sports (Muncie).... and the list goes on... There was a scare (a year ago?) when most of these stores pulled assisted knives from their shelves, but after a mere week they were returned. I know what you were told, but just because thats how one knucklehead reads the law doesn't mean in that's how it will always be enforced.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I know it seems silly to base something being legal to own on who sells it but I hardly believe these stores would sell them, and they do. If there was any chance of them being illegal. I mean Wal-Mart has one of the largest law teams in the world.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I think the word propelled means to shoot. Russia was selling knives at gun shows that had a very strong spring. It would shoot the blade hard enough, that at 10ft it would stick it in a 2x4. I saw one once and was told it was Russia military Issue

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN

CONDITION A)
    CONDITION B)
    (2) may be PROPELLED;
    Options begin----------
    Options end----------

his "position" can be want ever he wants. but the fact is the law is written the way it is written. option #3 only applies to "propelled"blades.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom