• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    This is very bad advice that could land somebody in prison. Do not attempt to circumvent the law by selling to a family member knowing that the actual intended recipient is someone else that you can't (or think you can't) legally sell to. In this case the seller is already privy to the information, and intent is established. He has a legal and moral obligation to do it right. I'm not a dealer and don't know the legalities of a private sale to an active duty military member, but I do know that facilitating a straw purchase is a huge no-no.

I agree with @Tactically Fat...best approach if you're not feeling confident about it would be to have a local FFL facilitate a transfer. It sucks to have to pay the fee and jump through the hoops, but IMO the $30-$50 is worth the peace of mind to know that you're not going to end up spending a couple of years sharing a cell in BOP with Bubba!
    I guess the "buying for immediate family" is now considered a straw buy? Last time i read that law, it wasn't. I only went to read it 2 years ago because when my daughter bought her g3c, i seen a shotgun i wanted but didn't have the cash, so 3 weeks later she bought it for my birthday.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I guess the "buying for immediate family" is now considered a straw buy? Last time i read that law, it wasn't. I only went to read it 2 years ago because when my daughter bought her g3c, i seen a shotgun i wanted but didn't have the cash, so 3 weeks later she bought it for my birthday.
    Here's some reading that might offer some insight into the whole convoluted mess. Again, IANAL, and don't know all of your circumstances, but your daughter buying a gun for you as a gift is a bit different than selling a gun to a non-resident's family member with the intent of circumventing federal law.

I don't know the answer to the original question, so I can't say for sure that the sale proposed in the OP would be illegal...but I do know that trying to get around it by selling to a local family member is not the answer.

https://www.nssf.org/articles/giving-a-firearm-as-a-gift-some-reminders-from-nssf/

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    Technically, legally, an Indiana resident may NOT sell a firearm to anyone who is NOT an Indiana resident, verified by seeing an Indiana DL.
    A Kentucky drivers license makes that person a resident of Kentucky.
    Legally, a person may not have 2 DLs at the same time, that would allow voting in each state and that is voter fraud.
    You can still sell to him, it just has to go through an FFL from you to him.
    It's a pain in the butt, but the consequences of getting caught doing it wrong are very severe.

danowen12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2024
    Greenwood
    While I was stationed in New Mexico, I ran into more than a few shops that had to make phone calls to ensure they could. However, as long as you have orders in that state, you can buy firearms

Top Bottom