Indiana Constitutional Carry - HB1022 (2018)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    TO GFGT's comment - and As I just noted in the other thread (SB 33) -
    Senator Taylor has NO excuse - 20 yrs as an Attorney - 10 as a State Senator and this is "Remedial Law 002." for undergrads.

but I think ATM and such we're on the right track - We need to POUND the facts out there
    AND make the opposition defend the conflicts in their logic.
    And get out of our bubbles. (points finger at self - "this means you BILL") ...

Like I said somewhere someone start a Continuing ED of Con Carry 2018 thread for when this session is done and we roll on from there.
    We have a few small fires to maintain here. ...

Time to reach out to some contacts. .... I'm looking at getting a Petition Site (or 2 or 3) set up via IMAGC ... gotta draw more of the team back in
    (voluntolds welcome too - but we operate strickly on FB for the moment).

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I think creating this special license might have some unintended consequences we might not like. I'm not a fan.

I just see it as an extension of the 4 yr and restoration of the NICS exempt status we once had according to Kirk's legends.
    If that was all they did its neither not a gain or loss. I don't see many people pursuing both 5 yr and Lifetime, ... just IMO.
    I know I'm not about to.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Constitutional carry in Indiana = long guns only.

Support for maintaining this unconstitutional infringement prohibiting handgun carry in Indiana doesn't make any sense at any level.

It's completely indefensible.

Agreed. But it's an uphill battle when I can OC my pistol most anywhere and be left alone. I have for years w/o any negative encounters. And although you and I (and many like-minded INGOers) agree, I couldn't carry a rifle for a day without the **** hitting the fan.

There's a LOT of sheeple out there to educate.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I just see it as an extension of the 4 yr and restoration of the NICS exempt status we once had according to Kirk's legends.
    If that was all they did its neither not a gain or loss. I don't see many people pursuing both 5 yr and Lifetime, ... just IMO.
    I know I'm not about to.

Me neither. If I bought and sold a bunch of guns every year it might be worth it. Might be. But it's just a gimmick for me...certainly not worth paying more money for.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I mentioned this in another thread but I listened to Guy's Saturday show today. He played a clip of testimony for SB33 I think it is -- the one for church/school carry. In that clip, one of the senators was asking him questions. Your assumption that they'll experience any sort of dissonance and/or epiphany while justifying their support for these sorts of infringements are...pipe dreams. This guy Guy was talking to held his ground (as bad as it was) no matter how Guy explained his error in reasoning. Some people don't use the kind or reasoning and logic to arrive at their positions that you or I might.

Agreed. When people hold irrational positions, and it’s because of ignorance, you can change their minds. If it’s because they’re consumed by ideology, it’s not likely there’s anything you can say that will bring them around.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I guess I'm in a unique situation, and I couldn't be happier with it.
    I have a lifetime license.
    I bought more than a couple of firearms last year, and I didn't pay a single dime for transfers, so I really couldn't care less if I have to sit through the N.I.C.S. check.

I have a good friend (and customer) who owns a sporting goods store, and they sell guns.
    I scratch his back by helping with repairs at his home and business, and in return, I get, free transfers, dealer pricing on most firearms, free shipping if I wait for his regular orders to arrive, and for the past couple of years I haven't paid processing fees for my deer.

I still think these convoluted laws are infringements, and should be repealed.
    It's actually part of our state constitution.
    Let the anti's tell us how they would like to subvert the state constitution.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Agreed. But it's an uphill battle when I can OC my pistol most anywhere and be left alone. I have for years w/o any negative encounters. And although you and I (and many like-minded INGOers) agree, I couldn't carry a rifle for a day without the **** hitting the fan.

There's a LOT of sheeple out there to educate.

Maybe this is a way to help educate the sheep. How does it make sense that i can carry my rifle around without issue (besides obvious harassment because of the uneducated calling the police) but if i carry my pistol then i need a permit. Maybe using this as an example of how stupid the current laws are, will help turn some uneducated antis. Im not talking about everyone going around carrying their ars, but using it as an example. I guess though on the other hand it could make the same antis, call for a repeal or some other nonsense for carrying a rifle without a permit. Guess it could go either way.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess I'm in a unique situation, and I couldn't be happier with it.
    I have a lifetime license.
    I bought more than a couple of firearms last year, and I didn't pay a single dime for transfers, so I really couldn't care less if I have to sit through the N.I.C.S. check.

I have a good friend (and customer) who owns a sporting goods store, and they sell guns.
    I scratch his back by helping with repairs at his home and business, and in return, I get, free transfers, dealer pricing on most firearms, free shipping if I wait for his regular orders to arrive, and for the past couple of years I haven't paid processing fees for my deer.

I still think these convoluted laws are infringements, and should be repealed.
    It's actually part of our state constitution.
    Let the anti's tell us how they would like to subvert the state constitution.

They don't have to. They have the "high ground". They're defending a position already won and occupied...occupied so long, it's considered normal. As we've seen with the financial concerns of LEOs, they've also got secondary support for their occupied ground. Constitutional arguments don't work with these people or they'd fled the field sessions ago.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    They don't have to. They have the "high ground". They're defending a position already won and occupied...occupied so long, it's considered normal. As we've seen with the financial concerns of LEOs, they've also got secondary support for their occupied ground. Constitutional arguments don't work with these people or they'd fled the field sessions ago.

It's the hearts and minds of the general populace that we need to educate/enlighten about the abuses being perpetrated against their liberties.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Just ask people if they support the Indiana prohibition on handgun carry and why. It is the proper way to frame this as most have never even considered this topic from such a perspective. Don't even bother with the antis, start with those who claim to respect our rights, like Republican legislators. :):

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So we're still going after the 80%. Whether we are Constitutional or the antis are unconstitutional we are going up against the same issues. The "it's OK to infringe on 2A rights because parade permits limit 1A" (that is a big part of the non-supported argument of the other side) falls apart real quick under any comparison of LTCH and special event permits. The law-abiding individual who didn't take the criminal path because of an LTCH will ride up on a unicorn any time, that's part of what we're fighting.

Force the hand of those who eat their cake and have it too (that makes more sense than have your cake and eat it too) and get ConC up for a vote. Whether you like it or not, that's our system. We've got to convert a lot of Fudds in the process #convertafudd

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's the hearts and minds of the general populace that we need to educate/enlighten about the abuses being perpetrated against their liberties.

Yes but most are either to un-informed or lazy to care. To make a stand for something that they feel has no direct or positive effects on or for them is a waste of effort.
    This is the response I get in many different packages. But in the end the "whats in it for me if I make this effort" thing is pretty clear.

That they regain a freedom does not seem important because "I was not using that one anyway"...................Truth.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    HB whatever.
    REPEAL OF REPUGNANT INFRINGEMENTS OF THE PEOPLES, ARTICLE 1 SECTION 32, RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS FOR THE DEFENSE OF THEMSELVES AND THE STATE.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Converting Fudds might be fun, but not necessary, this is not a referendum.

Hold our legislators and those attempting to influence them to directly declaring their support for or against the prohibition on handgun carry which is repugnant to both our state and federal constitutions.

Asking for a position or discussion on carry licenses is far too passive, they are merely an exception from the actual issue.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Someone on the INGuns subreddit asked the following question:

I currently have a lifetime permit, am I also able to get a 5 year permit without turning in the lifetime one so that I can avoid the hassle of background checks for those 5 years?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Someone on the INGuns subreddit asked the following question:

Unless you're one of those folks that get delayed all the time and buy lots of guns every year I have a hard time understanding the allure of this. Am I missing an angle here?

Top Bottom