• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    You do realize that you are doing the exact thing I was talking about above, right? We can now add "relics" to "mob" and "bigots".

Labeling those who disagree with you is simply copping out of actually have a rational discussion.

Slinging names is a **** poor substitute for actually defending/advancing your position, but don't let me stop you!

Okay. Fair enough. Although, it seems that decades of research isn't to be included. I will ask the question again.

Do you think that folks choose to be gay?

You can't consecutively avoid the thrust.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    This is kinda my point. For some, their religious practice allows marriage to encompass same sex marriage, but the government's legal strictures trample on the rights of people of those faith traditions. Which one needs to yield? The religious tenets of a free people, or the regulatory laws of the state? Rewriting the marriage statutes, should such be deemed necessary, would not be a pronouncement on the religious tenets of those whose faith only allows for one-man/one-woman. It would just be a pronouncement that the government will not be establishing that the one-man/one-woman faith traditions be the only religions allowed.

The governements' involvement has nothing to do with religious ceremonies, and everything to do with controlling the nature and participants in the codified implicit contracts. I guarantee that no swat team (or other LEO) would have busted down the door of an Episcopalian or ELCA same-sex nuptial ceremony before this ruling, so long as no attempt to involve the state with the "license" were attempted.

This is purely a secular issue wrapped around entitlements and contract law.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Okay. Fair enough. Although, it seems that decades of research isn't to be included. I will ask the question again.

You probably need to read Fargo's posts. He hasn't said anything against gay marriage per se that I have read, or?

Your question, while provocative, is not relevant to the issue he was discussing.

Or if you think it is, can you explain how one's being born gay should impact the principles of federalism?

:popcorn:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Having not been born that way, I don't pretend to know the answer to that question. Based upon my personal experience, there appear to be some people who appear to be born with a predisposition to homosexuality. There are also people who appear to acquire that attraction through forces later in life. I would say that as a general rule, I do not believe that homosexual attraction is something a person chooses, however I do not claim to KNOW that.

However, as Cobber points out, nothing in the above has anything to do with any point I have argued in this thread. In fact, I don't recall even having taken a position for or against gay marriage qua gay marriage in this thread.

My complaint has been that of a federal power grab in violation of state sovereignty, the constitution and stare decisis.

Last edited:

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    It's horse s hit that the government has anything to do with marriage. Should be between you, God and whoever else you choose it to be with, man, woman, women, men. As long as everyone is consenting adult whatever.

Why should married people be given tax breaks and share healthcare and single and couples/moreples who aren't married can't? That's what's dumb to me

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Believing that something is wrong is not the equivalent of hating people that do it. That is simply a brush the left has used to smear those who disagree with them as if the holding the opposing viewpoint makes you subhuman.

It has been going on and on in this thread. Those that agree with a certain view are "enlightened" while those who do not are a "mob" and "bigots".

Dehumanizing and denigrating those who disagree with you is the death of any rational conversation and of intellectual honesty.
    I was not referring to anyone here. I was replying to her statement that she gets a lot of hate while in public.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Then how would the decision of this judge change the amount of "hate" somebody might "feel"?
    I'm not tracking. I am not aware that anyone said it would. What you "think" about 2 men or 2 women marring each other is meaningless, as long as they are allowed to.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom