• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I'm fairly new to reloading. While I've bought the equipment over the course of the past few years, starting with a Hornady LnL AP press in 09, I haven't loaded many rounds. Back when I first started buying reloading tools, ammo and components were nonexistant, as now. Once components became available c. 2011, I picked up some bullets, and early 2012 I bought powder and primers.

I had a used laboratory balance scale, but before I even attempted to load my first round, I knocked it off the bench and it broke. I bought an electronic scale with Hornady's name on it and dove into my first batch of ammo.

I figured for safety reasons .38sp rounds would be my best bet since I shoot from a Ruger GP100 so a slight overcharge isn't going to take out my hand.

My first batch of 10 rds I measured and filled the charge for each. The second batch I ran 20rds and again, weighed each charge. The third time I wanted to use the progressive press's capability to crank out 100rds. The individually loaded rounds were flawless.

I adjusted the powder thrower on my press to 3.4gr of titegroup. According to my scale, I was throwing 3.1-3.6gr. I assumed the variance was due to the scale as I could weigh the same charge two times and get a 0.1gr difference.

I ran out 100rds of .38 158gr LRN. Every 10th round I dumped the powder in the pan on the scale to check, and noted a significant variance between rounds but was still within range. Again, I attributed this to the scale, and continued since none weighed in at an unsafe level.

I finally got around to shooting them. I had two squibs. Some rounds had a normal report, others were louder, and then there were the two squib rounds.

Anyone else have issues with consistent powder throws in the Hornady LnL AP? Is it the powder? Titegroup is a flake powder, I have a can of Unique but it appears that's a flake powder as well. I don't know if it's a technique issue with my loads or if it's an issue with the powder thrower not being able to meter accurately enough, but I'm scared to try loading anything else at this point.

I was gearing up to retool for .45acp but I don't want to do any auto rounds until I've got the metering issue figured out.

What am I doing wrong? I have a suspicion the squibs may have been seating depth adjustment rounds that accidentally made it into the wrong bin as the bullets barely made it into the barrel, so I'd imagine it was primer ignition only. That isn't my main concern. My main concern is the variance between throws. Is it technique? Powder? Equipment?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Titegroup is a flattened ball powder. It generally runs pretty good through a measure. I do not have much trouble keeping it +/- .1 gr. One trick I do is to put a catch contaner under the powder through and make about 20 deliberate full stroke charges before I start reloading. This settles the powder. I generally have to make a slight adjustment after that, but then in runs through perfect.

Make sure the linkage is allowing a full stroke.

I keep the hopper on the powder measure filled above 50% all the time. I think the consistant weight helps keep it accurate also I have never had a squib.

Good Luck

IndyND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Agree with making sure you are getting a full upstroke as stated above. Hornady will suggest that the most common powder problems come from not having the powder throwing device completely clean of any oils. I have noticed that the electronic scales tend to wander over time and don't just need to be reset (Tare) they need to be re calibrated with that standard 100g weight they came with. My hornady powder thrower is incredibly consistent with a variety of powders including TiteGroup.

Also a powder cop or similar die will help eliminate squibs, I'm a big fan of the RCBS Powder Lock Out Die.
    RCBS Lock-Out Die

jrclaxon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Marion
    I've been using Titegroup in my Hornady LNL for several years with no problem. You need to be sure your powder loader is making a full stroke as it rotates. I also use the RCBS Lock Out Die since I shoot competition have never had a squib. The only time I've ever had the lock out die stop me was due to running the powder hopper dry! Keep at it and you will develop tecniques that make the process smoother.

scooter-2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    i would try another scales to see if you have the same problem. i use an rcbs 505 beam scale to check my dillon 550. you could also get a set of weights to check your scale. scooter-2 in plainfield

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Filled hopper, charged 50x checking weight on each throw. 3.5-3.6gr on all...

I spose it was hopper fill causing my issues. Everything's weighing true. I'll run out 50 loaded and try em out.

Top Bottom