• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Well that explains that part then. I am not a big fan of cats so I don't know much about their care and feeding, I thought people fed them tuna sometimes.

You can give them a scrap or two, but cats are extremely sensitive to dehydration, too much salt and their body will throw it up.

The Tuna was like .49 on sale and we bought two dozen.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Interesting point on the cans, and it kind of adds to this discussion about water bottles breaking.

I've had (rarely) a can leak or corrode and in term damage other cans around it on my metal shelves. I guess this simply highlights the need for compartmentalization.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Interesting point on the cans, and it kind of adds to this discussion about water bottles breaking.

I've had (rarely) a can leak or corrode and in term damage other cans around it on my metal shelves. I guess this simply highlights the need for compartmentalization.

Is there a dissimilar metal reaction taking place. We have never had a can do this. Our shelves are either wood or plastic coated.
    Dissimilar metals will cause issues.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Is there a dissimilar metal reaction taking place. We have never had a can do this. Our shelves are either wood or plastic coated.
    Dissimilar metals will cause issues.

Dissimilar metals, aka galvanic corrosion, requires the presence of an electrolyte, two metals alone will not significantly corrode each other by themselves... you needed something in between like water.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Was rotating out soon to expire cans and found some cans of tomatoe paste were starting to leak along the seams.

Donated ex soon to expire cans to the food bank. Will make this an annual thing to insure I keep up on my rotation.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Was rotating out soon to expire cans and found some cans of tomatoe paste were starting to leak along the seams.

Donated ex soon to expire cans to the food bank. Will make this an annual thing to insure I keep up on my rotation.

tomatoes are highly acidic, any scratch in the lining will start corrosion.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

Yes, that's the kind of thing I've seen before. Not often, and not much damage (just another can or 2) but between that experience plus your experience with the water, I am rethinking how to compartmentalize certain things.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay......sorry......HAVE to say it...nice set up but the TRULY important question is...........Which Wal-Mart did you go to and DO THEY STILL HAVE 22's????????????.....I am currently adding 22's to my investment portfolio in place of silver :-)

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Okay......sorry......HAVE to say it...nice set up but the TRULY important question is...........Which Wal-Mart did you go to and DO THEY STILL HAVE 22's????????????.....I am currently adding 22's to my investment portfolio in place of silver :-)

I went to Meijer, and the .22 was from my stock.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Yes, that's the kind of thing I've seen before. Not often, and not much damage (just another can or 2) but between that experience plus your experience with the water, I am rethinking how to compartmentalize certain things.

So, you're saying OkieGirl's cases of Rotel are at risk..
    919D9FpMPcL._SY679SX424_SY679_CR,0,0,424,679_PIbundle-24,TopRight,0,0_SX424_SY679_CR,0,0,424,679.jpg

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    So, you're saying OkieGirl's cases of Rotel are at risk..
    View attachment 37809

Well now that you mention it my "Rotel" copycats are home canned. That's a mixed bag I guess. The glass jars are great. But I never know how long to trust home-canned food. Basically I trust it if the seal is intact whether it's recent or old.... but I nonetheless keep it rotating so I use it within 2 years.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I was sitting in the kitchen when a pull top can of fruit went bang. I thought someone was shooting at me. After I regained my composer I noticed that there was a rotten odder coming from a cabinet. I found the can that had went bang. That was nasty. The stuff had to be bad in the can to build up enough gas to go bang. I tossed out the other cans of the same make. I didn't trust it to be good after that.

Home canned food is good for years. I just ate the other day a can of soup that was caned in 98. The taste was a little bland, but still good to eat. I trust my home canned stuff much more than I do the factory stuff. I know my kitchen is cleaner and I take more care than a machine.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    If you buy from Aldi's watch out!!! We bought some peaches, they were delicious, BUT had "Product of China" on the label. I had seen a show awhile back. Their using pesticides we banned almost 40 years ago.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    If you buy from Aldi's watch out!!! We bought some peaches, they were delicious, BUT had "Product of China" on the label. I had seen a show awhile back. Their using pesticides we banned almost 40 years ago.

Chlorodane FTW! Keeps bugs off your stuff for years.

Top Bottom