• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Would think there would be some kind of survey done when you bought your place? Seems like that and the record of the Plat the county should have? Also seems he's trying to immediately turn what has been his problem (for years?) into your problem.
    this.

You never walked the property when you bought it two years ago and noticed where the property lines are?

I know exactly where the rebar markers are and mow exactly on that line.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    something I just thought of.

Check the lot lines for your property in onX GPS. Its a hunting tool designed to show where the lot lines are.

Im curious what that would show as it uses the official .gov lines. (which could be wrong) It would be interesting to see where it says the lines are.

you can get a free trial to see the map.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    something I just thought of.

Check the lot lines for your property in onX GPS. Its a hunting tool designed to show where the lot lines are.

Im curious what that would show as it uses the official .gov lines. (which could be wrong) It would be interesting to see where it says the lines are.

you can get a free trial to see the map.

Beware of these things. Lawrence county as well as others in indiana also have this sort of data available. But the lines can be off considerably. On mine, One of the lines is off by several feet to the east versus the survey.

ETA: there’s an app for it too.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Beware of these things. Lawrence county as well as others in indiana also have this sort of data available. But the lines can be off considerably. On mine, I’ll be of the lines is off by several feet to the east versus the survey.
    Yeah, Ive seen the same. But its typically only a foot or two. This suggestion was mere curiosity to see what it says. (not to use it for anything meaningful)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, Ive seen the same. But its typically only a foot or two. This suggestion was mere curiosity to see what it says.
    Understood. When I was talking to my surveyor about it he mentioned he’s seen them off by quite a bit sometimes and sometimes quite close. It does give you an idea but I’d hate to build a $75,000 pole barn or a property line fence based just on what these maps say they say.

In my example, I’d say the line is up to 10-12 ft off at one corner.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Well, first what are the community rules for trees? Usually trees overhanging others properties are trimmed by them, to the line, if they desire. They can't demand it. A tree or limb falling on a neighbour's home or property is an act of God under insurance. Technically they pay the deductible in that case.
    Seen this as well first hand. I think there are circumstances where if a tree is dead and the property owner is notified of that formally then there is a shift of responsibility.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Seen this as well first hand. I think there are circumstances where if a tree is dead and the property owner is notified of that formally then there is a shift of responsibility.
    I always had the same understanding .........If the owner of the tree could see and knew a tree was hazardous and not maintained , they could be held liable if there was damage to neighboring property .
    Where I used to live , I built a new privacy fence about 8" inside the property lines . The neighbors had a 6 forked dying Maple about 10 feet from the line that always dropped limbs after a mild wind . I mentioned it to him ( but he did nothing ) and took several photos after my fence was built .
    We eventually moved , but stayed in contact with the new owners , long story short :), They sent me a photo of 1/2 the tree across their fence . They were very excited when I sent them about 10 photos from 2 years prior . The neighbor paid up .....

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    You are correct. Just got done talking with attorney and insurance. To avoid liability, I'll have them inspected and trimmed as needed, waiting on other surveyor to do their work first. But insurance and attorney both said, damage from tree is paid for by insurance company of person who received damage UNLESS the tree owner had been informed via certified letter stating trees are dead/dangerous. But if tree owner gets them inspected and maintained by liscened arborist, his butt is covered.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You are correct. Just got done talking with attorney and insurance. To avoid liability, I'll have them inspected and trimmed as needed, waiting on other surveyor to do their work first. But insurance and attorney both said, damage from tree is paid for by insurance company of person who received damage UNLESS the tree owner had been informed via certified letter stating trees are dead/dangerous. But if tree owner gets them inspected and maintained by liscened arborist, his butt is covered.
    Yep, same happened here when we had an otherwise healthy tree come down due to high wind and take down part of neighbor's fence. Neighbor in this case had other damage from the wind and was already opening a claim anyway, so there wasn't any additional discussion after we each checked with our insurance agents. I of course paid to have the tree taken down and cleanup, but neighbor handled their fence on their claim against their policy.

Last edited:

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    My fence on my property encroaches onto my neighbor's property by less than a foot. It is because my fence buts right up against his fence. I talked to the previous owners of that house, and got permission from them to take my fence to theirs. This way I only had to pay for 3 sides, and didn't have to have that side of the fence way inside my property to allow someone to walk between our properties. I cheaped out on the fence in some ways. My fence doesn't go to the back of the property, it doesn't go close to one neighbor's yard because of having to go down the hill, etc. It looks nice though.

I do not claim this space, I maintain it (mow, weed eat, etc). When I eventually move from this place, it will be known that the fence (if still there) goes into his property.

My situation is way different from yours though. I just wanted to point out sometimes people do things for non-nefarious reasons.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My fence on my property encroaches onto my neighbor's property by less than a foot. It is because my fence buts right up against his fence. I talked to the previous owners of that house, and got permission from them to take my fence to theirs. This way I only had to pay for 3 sides, and didn't have to have that side of the fence way inside my property to allow someone to walk between our properties. I cheaped out on the fence in some ways. My fence doesn't go to the back of the property, it doesn't go close to one neighbor's yard because of having to go down the hill, etc. It looks nice though.

I do not claim this space, I maintain it (mow, weed eat, etc). When I eventually move from this place, it will be known that the fence (if still there) goes into his property.

My situation is way different from yours though. I just wanted to point out sometimes people do things for non-nefarious reasons.
    Wish my back neighbor was as helpful. My fence is 12" inside the property line. Yet he refuses to mow that strip even though he uses a zero turn riding mower. I've even mentioned to him several times that I wouldnt be offended if he did it while he did his lawn since it requires no real effort on his part and literally would add 5 seconds to the job. Nope. 20 years later he still follows my other neighbor's fence that is right on the line and leaves that strip of mine untouched. I dont think he's being vindictive. He's a nice guy otherwise and we have pleasant over-the-fence conversations several times a year. Just annoying.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Wish my back neighbor was as helpful. My fence is 12" inside the property line. Yet he refuses to mow that strip even though he uses a zero turn riding mower. I've even mentioned to him several times that I wouldnt be offended if he did it while he did his lawn since it requires no real effort on his part and literally would add 5 seconds to the job. Nope. 20 years later he still follows my other neighbor's fence that is right on the line and leaves that strip of mine untouched. I dont think he's being vindictive. He's a nice guy otherwise and we have pleasant over-the-fence conversations several times a year. Just annoying.
    Reminds me of this photo ......
    Screenshot (627).png

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep, same happened here when we had an otherwise healthy tree come down due to high wind and take down part of neighbor's fence. Neighbor in this case had other damage from the wind and was already opening a claim anyway, so there wasn't any additional discussion after we each checked with our insurance agents. I of course paid to have the tree taken down and cleanup, but neighbor handled their fence on their claim against their policy.
    I had an ice storm bring down a really big branch out of a large white pine that landed on my neighbor's chain link fence that severely damaged the top rail. I replaced the top rail and cleaned up the branch in his yard on my own. Just felt it was the neighborly thing to do, and it wasn't expensive. I'm sure it would've been below his homeowner's or my homeowner's deductible.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I had an ice storm bring down a really big branch out of a large white pine that landed on my neighbor's chain link fence that severely damaged the top rail. I replaced the top rail and cleaned up the branch in his yard on my own. Just felt it was the neighborly thing to do, and it wasn't expensive. I'm sure it would've been below his homeowner's or my homeowner's deductible.

It was the "nice" thing to do, but technically it was his responsibility. You had no legal liability to repair his fence.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I am aware of a situation that involved an older man who liked to mow his own grass and that of his neighbors - at least that part which was a right of way that was on the neighboring property and not built on. The neighbor was actually a not for profit business entity. The old man mowed the tract for several years just for something to do - almost as if it was his hobby.

Fast forward and the old man passed away. Shortly thereafter the old man’s widow contacted the neighboring property owner and presents them with a bill. Her assertion was that her husband had mowed the property for years and was never compensated - never mind he wasn’t asked to mow it nor was there a contract for him to do so. She just happened to mention she knew an attorney but didn’t want to get him involved.

The sum requested was a medium three figures and the neighbor paid the woman rather than hiring an attorney to fight it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom