• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Mooresville, IN
    I just shot my first IDPA match today and really had a great time. I am just wondering what the main differences between USPSA and idpa are. Going to try to make the next USPSA match and try it out but was just wondering.
    John

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    USPSA is faster-paced, has fewer rules and is more freestyle, and the stages have higher round counts, generally. The "Safety officer" is called a "Range officer." The game is scored differently (points over time) rather than time + penalties. The targets are slightly different. There is more steel allowed and the ranges can be longer, up to 50 yards.

IDPA has more rules, different terms, more ways to get penalties, and a total ban on competition only guns and other equipment that pretty much dominate USPSA, although you'll see more "normal" guns in USPSA as well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What downzero said.

IDPA and USPSA are more alike than different. Pretty much everything you do in IDPA you can do in USPSA if you so choose, but not the other way around. The biggest difference is that you have more freedom in USPSA. You can shoot courses of fire the way you choose. Along those lines, you also have to make a lot more decisions and think more while you're shooting because the course of fire in USPSA seldomly mandates how you have to solve the problem, whereas in IDPA most course of fire dictate how and when each target must be engaged.

You'll like both. Which you like better will probably be more of a factor of the people with whom you shoot than which game it is.

johnh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Mooresville, IN
    I really appreciate the feedback, I am planing to shoot at the next USPSA match and figure I'll go from there. Guess it can't hurt to shoot both all the time, just alot of ammo...lol

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I really appreciate the feedback, I am planing to shoot at the next USPSA match and figure I'll go from there. Guess it can't hurt to shoot both all the time, just alot of ammo...lol

There is one at South Central near Freetown tomorrow, and another at RileyCC near Terre Haute on 18JUL10! Join us!

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton

I have not shot IDPA but I am planning on it in the future. I've been shooting USPSA for a year and really enjoy it. I think the main point is have fun no matter which you choose.
    A bad day at the range is still a great day

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    Shoot em both. I do. Learn the differences as you go. Both are good groups of people. And you will find some overlap in those groups. I enjoy both. Very different mindsets, but as Rhino said, they ARE more alike than different.

Top Bottom