• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    So i was headed to a tractor pull today with a good friend of mine in my truck. Turned down a street that was under construction on our right side. It was graval and pretty rough, but that's what trucks are for, even though mine's just a little S10. A guy in a mid 90's Mustang decides the right side of the road is no good for him and does a burnout past me on a double yellow, in town, with on coming traffic. Ok, whatever, dudes retarted and that happens. Continue onward, get out of town and up to highway speed of 65 or so when i come up on Mustang man who had just came up on a semi going 35. I get within about 2 cars of him slowing down when he SLAMS on his brakes. I do the same and am watching the pick-up behind me to try and keep it from hitting me and keep myself from hitting the mustang.

As soon as we stop, he gets out and starts yelling at me. I put my hands up in a shrugging "what's wrong"/WTF manner with a very confused face. Now he is walking back to my truck, my window is down about 4 inches, but i imediately locked my door. He just keeps yelling about how i almost hit him and that he was going to make me f my mother, banging on my side window, etc etc. I just kept saying "OK, easy, easy" and probably a few "whats", "geez", and more "easy's". I kept having my hands up in a what-are-you-talking-about manner. I really was confused. He finally finished what he had to say, walked back to his car giving me a finger or two, then did a burn out away. I had the thought that if i hit the gas right when he was doing the burn out, i'd put him strait in the ditch, but I hadn't done a single thing wrong up to that point and wanted to keep it that way.

I did stay very calm, but maybe too calm. I looked at him for any signs of a weapon but didn't see any. I locked my door as soon as he was out of his vehicle. I feel my biggest mistake was not getting his plate numbers.

Oddly enough, my friend said he had come up behind this same guy at a stop light and the guy got out and started yelling at him too. Really weird because we are two of the most conservative drivers you'll see below 80 years old.

Feel free to give me any advice. I don't have my CCW, but i think that needs to change. Nothing really happened this time, but at 150lbs, I'm not big on picking fights. Obviously parts of me wish I'd done more and not retreated so much, but i had done nothing wrong so i didn't want to have a single strike against me if it got to a point where police where involved. I think most people have encountered a person like this, but I normally do a good job avoiding them. Sorry for spelling and punctuation, just trying to get it all out there.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I probably would have followed the same course of action as you. I would have rolled my window up the full way after locking the door though.

Sounds like the authorities need to be made aware of this person and their vehicle description.

Chances are if your buddy has come across him too, others have also. It's only a matter of time before this guy does something stupid and ends up hurting someone..

In my own opinion, a LTCH (CCW) wouldn't make much of a difference in this scenario. You are in a vehicle.. It's the best weapon you could have, even if it's just using it to exit the situation.

There is no way I would exit my vehicle and make a confrontation with this person as it's obvious they have anger management issues.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Also, i probably wouldn't have stuck around to hear his speach, but the truck behind me was 5 feet from my bumper and i was 10 feet from the mustangs, so i couldn't get out and drive away, especially without being very close to him and maybe hitting his open door. I agree that even with a firearm, i would do everything to not leave the vehicle. I just didn't have a lot of options if he went further than yelling. That part is frustrating.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Buy a disposable camera and keep it in the truck. If this happens again, start taking pictures of the assailant and his car. That will probably cause him to shut up and leave.

Doug

PS Keep in mind that a film camera kept in the truck will get too hot in the summer; the film will probably be ruined by the heat and the picutres won't come out. The bad guy won't know that. You could use a digital camera but it might also be damaged by the heat and the batteries could go dead. However, if he thinks you're aking his picture he'll probably realize he could be charged with intimidation/threatening and leave.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    I don't live by many rules, but one constant is that people are stupid by default. However, the guy might have just had a couple of bad days but, being a Mustang driver every day is a bad day.

And agreed that the best weapon on the road is a 1.5-2.5 ton speeding bullet...

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Buy a disposable camera and keep it in the truck. If this happens again, start taking pictures of the assailant and his car. That will probably cause him to shut up and leave.

Doug

I love this idea , don't say a word for 5-10 seconds just take pictures . My camera phone will take video to .

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Just a suggestion carry a can of pepper spray in your car. It's not the end all cure, but it's better then nothing. In a situation like that it's best to stay in your car, that way you can flee for your own safety. Then deal with the aftermath.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I think you handled things just fine! But getting his plate number and calling the police would be the thing to do, enough complaints and the police will pay him a visit.
    Also I would get a ccw and carry, you never know when it will happen to you. :thumbsup:

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    As soon as he got out of the car and started yelling at you, you should have called 911 and told them you are a victim of roadrage. Take a pic of the car with license plate and a pic of him. Let the 911 operator listen to the guy rant.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Sounds like the tool has a history of acting like that.
    Stay in the car and look at them and laugh, that will make them feel better.

He will continue until he a) get caught or seen by johnny law in the act.
    or b) runs into someone worse on the wrong day.
    :owned:

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    About 18 years ago, I was heading south on Roselle road just south of Golf in Schaumburg, IL. It was winter, with about 5 inches of fresh snow. This kid in a 4x4 truck behind me was impatient. He punched it, passed us on left, went over 4" high median, cut back in to the right, and could not brake in time and slammed the guy's trunk to about 10 inches shorter than it used to be. What a complete BUTT!!!

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    About 18 years ago, I was heading south on Roselle road just south of Golf in Schaumburg, IL. It was winter, with about 5 inches of fresh snow. This kid in a 4x4 truck behind me was impatient. He punched it, passed us on left, went over 4" high median, cut back in to the right, and could not brake in time and slammed the guy's trunk to about 10 inches shorter than it used to be. What a complete BUTT!!!

yea but i bet you felt better :D

i usually have a tendency to make things worse and have a short temper so there is no telling what i might have done.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Thanks for the suggestions guys and please keep them coming. Like i said, I'm a very conservative driver and a calm person. This is the first time a stranger has been so mad at me for, i thought, no reason. I was really caught off guard and surprised. I knew i should have got his plates as soon as i was calming down but just didn't think of it at the time. The camera is a good idea too.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You did the right thing by not reacting in a threatening manner and by taking actions to protect yourself. I don't have a cell phone and don't carry my digital camera around with me, but a photo of the guy "in your face" and his plate number, as well as, a 911 call might have prevented this person from hurting someone else. There are a significant number of drivers out there who have serious issues. He could have been hot tempered, just stressed out, or on illegal drugs. With the economy in the tank, a lot of folks are stressed out with job loss, home loss, etc. looming over their heads. Most of these hot-heads can't accept that they could ever make a mistake and look for some scapegoat to lay it on. More than likely, though, this is a pattern of behavior for this dude. Could be roid road rage, too. I've worked with hot-heads. They seem to have a daily story about someone else cutting them off, etc.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Learned an important lesson a few years ago. I was dating my future wife and was on the way home from Kokomo. Going east on 26 where it turns from 4 to 2 lane I passed and got ahead of a car that seemed to just tooling along, nothing dangerous, just not holding a steady speed and using all of his lane.
    Since I had an hour drive and it was 12AM I got it up to between 55 and 60 and set the cruise. Looking in my rear view mirror here comes Tooling boy and pulls right on my 6 and hits his brights. Funny part was that he was so close that I couldn't see his lights for my tailgate. I slowed to 25 and move on to berm to allow him around, no dice. Moving back on to the road and back up to speed, I began to take stock of options. My 9 was at home, she just wasn't used to a handgun tucked between the seats, yet. Forgot to clip my cell phone on my belt. Luckily when I turned south on 19 he continued into Greentown. Lesson learned, cell phone or handgun, don't leave home without'em.
    Don't hesitate to use 911 and a vehicle is of heck of a weapon. It can be replaced you can't. Remember getting people like these off the road may save someone less able to handle them............:@ya:..............<>< Duce

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    As soon as he got out of the car and started yelling at you, you should have called 911 and told them you are a victim of road rage. Take a pic of the car with license plate and a pic of him. Let the 911 operator listen to the guy rant.

I agree the the above, very good advice. I bet he will be getting the attention of the police very soon.

Top Bottom