I was looking for earwax and found this!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Ciprodex if you have tubes like my son but it's like $140 at CvS. For normal people cortisporin otic is cheap. For mild,acetic acid rinses. For prevention, alcohol or acetic acid rinses after exposures. At least that's what i read on the Internet, no medical advice here ;)

Since we aren't giving medical advice here, let me also let you know that, from the internet, the correct ratio of alcohol (rubbing alcohol usually although everclear works too) and acetic acid (White vinegar) is 1:1. It's pretty much the same thing that you find in the pharmacy (Swimmers Ear, Auro-Dry, etc.). Put a couple of drops in each ear after your kid swims and it should prevent the problem.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    What's old is new and what's new is old.

There is buzz right now about doing away with the dollar bill and going to a dollar coin. I just hope that it will be something other than quarter sized like those last two losers they tried:
    The Susan B. Anthony Dollar
    1979-sba.jpg
    and

The Sacagawea Dollar
    US2520one2520dollar2520coin.jpg

RiverParker

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    '64 does not apply to halves and dollars... halves were 40% silver from '65-70 and COLLECTIBLE VERSION of the Eisenhower dollar was 40% silver from '71-'76

OP, check to see if that dollar is cupre-nickel (standard eisenhower dollar) or 40% silver.

You obviously have NO clue what you are talking about. Half-dollars up to and including 1964 are 90% silver.

Those definitely look proofish to me, with the matte heads and apparently shiny background. Have someone that knows that stuff look at them, and also investigate the silver content. You should be able to tell from date and proof mark. You definitely have more than $2 there.

Again, NO clue. Those coins are NOT worth more than $2. Where do you guys get your info from? Just make it up as you go?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You obviously have NO clue what you are talking about. Half-dollars up to and including 1964 are 90% silver.
    Actually I think you misunderstood what I meant. My intention was not to imply that pre-65 halves weren't 90% silver, it was to convey that after silver was cut from all other coins in '65, the halves were still 40% silver through '70 and the Collectible version of the Eisenhower dollar was 40% silver as well (although I doubt you would see those in circulation)....

I think if you go back and read the post that I was responding to then re-read my post it will make better sense to you.

Thanks for the compliment that I have NO clue what I'm talking about... I just LOVE it when complete newbs come in and act like they know everything and imply that I know nothing when they don't know a thing about me.

If I were like you, and didn't read the post the response was intended towards (therefore not having any context) and could turn that right around and tell you, "You obviously have NO clue what you are talking about. Half-dollars from '65-'70 were 40% silver"... see how that works? It's important to understand the context that the response was made in.... otherwise... ah heck, I'll stop now and take it easy on you... I try to take it easy on most new guys so I'll give you a break and assume it was just a miscommunication...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Again, NO clue. Those coins are NOT worth more than $2. Where do you guys get your info from? Just make it up as you go?

Both members you quoted were 100%, DEAD NUTS CORRECT....

I'd suggest looking into what years they minted halves and the Dollars in 40% before telling them they have no clue, not to mention attempting to school CountryBoy on numismatics. :):

BTW, welcome to the site...

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, strictly speaking, if you take them to a store they're not going to credit you more than $2 for them, but that's not what you do with these. Wipe them off with a cotton cloth, put them in envelopes, and don't touch them any more until you've had someone with a clue look at them. You're not going to retire on these, but it's a piece of history. I may not be some master coin wizard, but I've been more than 40 years looking at this stuff, so I've picked up a thing or two. Oh, and Dean says his nuts are still a little tender, but they'll be ok.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Both members you quoted were 100%, DEAD NUTS CORRECT....

I'd suggest looking into what years they minted halves and the Dollars in 40% before telling them they have no clue, not to mention attempting to school CountryBoy on numismatics. :):

BTW, welcome to the site...
    You clearly have me confused with somebody else because I obviously have NO clue what I'm talking about...

On a serious note, I actually am not a coin collector by any means, I just know which "street coins" I may encounter that have real value so that I can hold onto them... pre-65 silver is the obvious one but pre-82 pennies, 65-70 halves, war-time nickels and a lot of other lesser known coins actually hold significantly more value than their face value. Although war-time nickels are very rare in overall quantity, they're very hard to pick out from other nickels and therefore there are quite a few of the original ones still in circulation whereas most of the pre-65 silver has been effectively taken out of circulation because it is so easily identifiable.

Regarding the schooling, you're right. I'm so bull-headed that nobody can school me unless I want to be schooled... :D

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Welcome to INGO

Only thing missing was an offer to buy. Are you perchance an LEO or Truck driver?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    My wife works the front end at a large store, and occasionally they'll get in a roll of older dimes or quarters. She always make sure she buys them at face value from the store.

Once a woman came in with about $20 in silver quarters that she tried to run thru Coinstar, which refused to accept them. She told my wife that she really needed to get her bottle of whiskey and wanted to sell them direct to the store. My wife explained that they were worth far, far more than just 20, and encouraged her to go down to the gold buying shop on the next block The lady wouldn't have any of it, she needed her whiskey RIGHT NOW. My wife bought the coins and we had a very good week for it. :)

Two or three years ago we'd pick up an extra hundred dollars a week, now it's rare to get that in a month.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    My wife works the front end at a large store, and occasionally they'll get in a roll of older dimes or quarters. She always make sure she buys them at face value from the store.

Once a woman came in with about $20 in silver quarters that she tried to run thru Coinstar, which refused to accept them. She told my wife that she really needed to get her bottle of whiskey and wanted to sell them direct to the store. My wife explained that they were worth far, far more than just 20, and encouraged her to go down to the gold buying shop on the next block The lady wouldn't have any of it, she needed her whiskey RIGHT NOW. My wife bought the coins and we had a very good week for it. :)

Two or three years ago we'd pick up an extra hundred dollars a week, now it's rare to get that in a month.
    This was the BEST part of working retail! I've been paid in silver currency, silver certificates, and many other things. Little to my knowledge, one week, the bank sent our store rolls of silver filled dimes. In a period of three days, i went home with at least $6 face value of silver dimes. Unfortunately, that was all I could save, im sure there was more, but my coworkers were giving them back as change :(

Icarus52003

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    I used to work in a video store in a poorer town. Whenever I saw people spending coins like this, I couldn't help but think they had swiped someone's coin collection to pay for the movies.

Corbinator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    I have a live bait vending machine at my shop that I own/operate ! I have come across a few valuable coins . It's worth sorting through and paying attention to. I'll trade you a dime for a $20 bill all day.

Top Bottom