• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I totally missed this thread until today. I can see there are some folks here I respect that may disagree with me. I guess that happens sometimes. If I'm on my property or in my home, any animal that threatens me or my family in any way is most likely going to be a dead animal. I don't care if its an angry mother bear, the neighbor's primped up poodle, or an endangered species. I don't care what circumstances led to the animal being on my property, even if its my own fault. All I'm going to care about at that point is eliminating the threat. I'll worry about any possible consequences later if there are any.

Even if the animal is not a physical threat, if it becomes a constant nuisance or is causing property damage, I will only tolerate this for a limited time before the animal will be dispatched if other measures fail to eliminate the problem.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    And I don't think a man should be held hostage in his own home by a dog that exhibits aggressive signs. I think he showed great restraint in not shooting the first time. I've come closer to shooting a neighborhood dog while I was walking down the sidewalk with my children.
    i highly doubt the man was held captive in his home. Unless his property is 100% fenced in and his garage is not connected, then i could see being trapped. However i think if the police were to get involved they would say, you came into your house called police, and then went back out. Going back out would be putting yourself in danger. Next time i go outside and see a bee should i run back inside grab my gun and shoot it because im allergic and it poses a deadly threat to me? I think normal response would be no stay inside and wait for it to go away.

edit: after rereading i see that he probably was held captive because of his fencing. however he mentions living really close to 2 daycares and a library. So i ask is it worth the risk to go pop a medium sized lab mix. if you are safe in your home and live near 2 daycares and a library?

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i live in the country and our dogs are allowed to run free on our property and stay in the yards or in our woods if were with them. our neighbors have pitbulls and they keep them tied up 90% of the time, but sometimes they get loose and come to my house and like to harass my dogs. sometimes they get along sometimes they dont. so after asking my neighbors to please keep there dog home and the dog continues to get loose causing a ruckus fighting with our dogs i simply sprayed pepper spray on his neck and back (trying to keep out of his eyes). the dog ran home and hasnt come back in past 6 months. no lethal force was ever needed. just an irritant to make him learn to stay home.

so i suggest fix the fence and speak to neighbors.....dont work keep running dog off.....still dont work maybe a little pepper spray

Last edited:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    i dont think he will have a problem with the dog coming back anymore, if he does we all need to be very very worried. ZOMBIES

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    i live in the country and our dogs are allowed to run free on our property and stay in the yards or in our woods if were with them. our neighbors have pitbulls and they keep them tied up 90% of the time, but sometimes they get loose and come to my house and like to harass my dogs. sometimes they get along sometimes they dont. so after asking my neighbors to please keep there dog home and the dog continues to get loose causing a ruckus fighting with our dogs i simply sprayed pepper spray on his neck and back (trying to keep out of his eyes). the dog ran home and hasnt come back in past 6 months. no lethal force was ever needed. just an irritant to make him learn to stay home.

so i suggest fix the fence and speak to neighbors.....dont work keep running dog off.....still dont work maybe a little pepper spray

The suggestion of taking 10-20 minutes to fix the fence wasn't well received...Don't suggest it again or else the OP will tell you to **** off.

I don't currently have pepper spray, but I'd like to think that if a dog(that I knew was owned by a local neighbor) kept getting out and bothering me and I had the time to post the first incident on the internet, I'd buy a can of pepper spray and at least give it a try before killing it...It's not the dog's fault that it has a dip **** owner.

BTW, I don't condemn the OP's actions(if he did in fact kill the dog himself), but I probably would have done things differently.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I totally missed this thread until today. I can see there are some folks here I respect that may disagree with me. I guess that happens sometimes. If I'm on my property or in my home, any animal that threatens me or my family in any way is most likely going to be a dead animal. I don't care if its an angry mother bear, the neighbor's primped up poodle, or an endangered species. I don't care what circumstances led to the animal being on my property, even if its my own fault. All I'm going to care about at that point is eliminating the threat. I'll worry about any possible consequences later if there are any.

Even if the animal is not a physical threat, if it becomes a constant nuisance or is causing property damage, I will only tolerate this for a limited time before the animal will be dispatched if other measures fail to eliminate the problem.

I was with ya til the bolded part, that one does kinda bother me. I know animals are not the same as people but if you caused someone to be on your property and because of that they posed a threat which you eliminated I could see you getting in some trouble.

This again? REALLY?! A dog is a dog is a dog. I am a proud APBT owner and I didn't get this right the first time Find the pit and further more a dogs bad behavior is based on training and how it is raised. If you spent 90% of your time chained up you'd want to stretch your legs a little too no matter the color of your skin or the religious text you hold dear.

The suggestion of taking 10-20 minutes to fix the fence wasn't well received...Don't suggest it again or else the OP will tell you to **** off.

I don't currently have pepper spray, but I'd like to think that if a dog(that I knew was owned by a local neighbor) kept getting out and bothering me and I had the time to post the first incident on the internet, I'd buy a can of pepper spray and at least give it a try before killing it...It's not the dog's fault that it has a dip **** owner.

BTW, I don't condemn the OP's actions(if he did in fact kill the dog himself), but I probably would have done things differently.

QFT

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I was with ya til the bolded part, that one does kinda bother me. I know animals are not the same as people but if you caused someone to be on your property and because of that they posed a threat which you eliminated I could see you getting in some trouble.

This again? REALLY?! A dog is a dog is a dog. I am a proud APBT owner and I didn't get this right the first time Find the pit and further more a dogs bad behavior is based on training and how it is raised. If you spent 90% of your time chained up you'd want to stretch your legs a little too no matter the color of your skin or the religious text you hold dear.

QFT

i have no problem what so ever that the dog was a pitbull! my opposite neighbor has 11 dogs including pitbulls and they are the sweetest dogs ever. i agree that the dog would want to run if he was tied up 90% of the time. my problem isnt that he comes into our yard to run around and play. my problem was when he would dig holes in the yard, go through the trash cans, be aggressive and guard the food and water from my dogs, sometimes causing fights which has resulted in bloodshed.....that was my problem with the dog. it has nothing to do with his breed. its not the dogs fault, its his owners who are worthless P.O.S. i just happen to mention his breed on here. i was in no way condemning pitbull's. sorry for confusion

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    i have no problem what so ever that the dog was a pitbull! my opposite neighbor has 11 dogs including pitbulls and they are the sweetest dogs ever. i agree that the dog would want to run if he was tied up 90% of the time. my problem isnt that he comes into our yard to run around and play. my problem was when he would dig holes in the yard, go through the trash cans, be aggressive and guard the food and water from my dogs, sometimes causing fights which has resulted in bloodshed.....that was my problem with the dog. it has nothing to do with his breed. its not the dogs fault, its his owners who are worthless P.O.S. i just happen to mention his breed on here. i was in no way condemning pitbull's. sorry for confusion

It's cool just the off hand manner in which you mentioned is all too common on this board for the exact reasons I thought you were doing so.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    i highly doubt the man was held captive in his home. Unless his property is 100% fenced in and his garage is not connected, then i could see being trapped. However i think if the police were to get involved they would say, you came into your house called police, and then went back out. Going back out would be putting yourself in danger. Next time i go outside and see a bee should i run back inside grab my gun and shoot it because im allergic and it poses a deadly threat to me? I think normal response would be no stay inside and wait for it to go away.

edit: after rereading i see that he probably was held captive because of his fencing. however he mentions living really close to 2 daycares and a library. So i ask is it worth the risk to go pop a medium sized lab mix. if you are safe in your home and live near 2 daycares and a library?

Well, I consider my yard to be an extension of my home, and I feel I have a reasonable expectation to enjoy it as well as the interior of my home without feeling threatened by man or beast. THe proximity of the daycares and the library is ancillary and need only be considered to the extent that when (not if) he takes the shot, it is done in a manner to avoid sending errant rounds their way.

His "foot gun" worked before, he should have used it again.

And yeah, fix the damn fence. (it had to be said again...this could have been avoided)
    Why do you people not read the entire thread before posting? He fixed the ****ing fence and the dog still got in. Never mind that he was under no obligation to keep another animal out in the first place, or that it's entirely possible the animal JUMPED the damn fence in the second, rendering all arguments contingent on the fence's integrity moot.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Why do you people not read the entire thread before posting? He fixed the ****ing fence and the dog still got in. Never mind that he was under no obligation to keep another animal out in the first place, or that it's entirely possible the animal JUMPED the damn fence in the second, rendering all arguments contingent on the fence's integrity moot.

PMS? :laugh:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Well, I consider my yard to be an extension of my home, and I feel I have a reasonable expectation to enjoy it as well as the interior of my home without feeling threatened by man or beast. THe proximity of the daycares and the library is ancillary and need only be considered to the extent that when (not if) he takes the shot, it is done in a manner to avoid sending errant rounds their way.
    Right i 100% agree that your property is an extension to your home and you should not be threatened while out there by anything. However the op already wants to shoot the dog the first time it gets into his yard. Dogs get loose, its a fact of life. This is someones pet, it is not an intruder trying to break into your house, or a bear hell bent on stealing your pic-i-nic basket. He was in his house, at no risk. Stepping outside to shoot this midsized lab he was putting himself at risk, and also by living within houses and businesses, he was putting others at risk.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I was with ya til the bolded part, that one does kinda bother me. I know animals are not the same as people but if you caused someone to be on your property and because of that they posed a threat which you eliminated I could see you getting in some trouble

I have no dispute whatsoever with the fact that I may face consequences if I played a role in creating the situation. If I were stupid enough to create a situation like that, I would deserve consequences. That does not change the fact that I would still treat a threat of serious bodily harm to myself or my family in the same manner. If I didn't, I would be allowing the possibility of harm coming to others due to my poor decisions. I'd rather face the consequences of my own actions than allow that.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Why do you people not read the entire thread before posting? He fixed the ****ing fence and the dog still got in.
    Then he should fix it better. And I read the entire thread. You don't know it jumped the fence. Dog probably found another weak spot. OP was pissed at the suggestion to fix fence so its probably not well maintained since he didn't spend the time to keep it up in the first place.

This was not an immediate threat to the life of himself or family. The killing was needless. That's the facts.

Top Bottom