I think it's time I built my own AR-15. Now where to look for parts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm still working on this, and I saw Palmetto State Armory has a sale on stripped lowers for $80. I also saw that they had an MOE lower parts kit with everything I'd need for another $125. Seems to me like that'd be a great start, but it leaves me wondering, what actual AR specific hand tools will I need for this? Do I need all the vise blocks & AR wrenches or can I get by without all that stuff? When it comes to specific tools you think I'll need a link would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

IndyRon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My order of preference if you are going by cost is:

1) Palmetto
    2) Botach
    3) Midway
    5) BCM
    6) Rainier
    7) AIM
    8) ADCO

I think some of the BCM parts such as the BCG's and upper receivers are better than some of the other companies individually branded offerings. The nice part about Midway is that they are always emailing the 10-15% discount coupons which often makes them cheaper than the others depending on the part. Some will have negative opinions of botach but I've spent over $1k with them and not a problem with anything I've ordered and free shipping. If you want anything Magpul, you'd be silly not to buy from them as they have a 20% ongoing magpul discount that blows all other prices out of the water (even the used magpul prices on ar15.com).

Good luck with the build.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Do yourself a favor and build a KISS gun. Get quality parts made to known USGI specs as the bottom line, all the correct steels, inspecions and treatments. Also with a KISS carbine forget the folding sights, they are just something to go wrong when you least need it to happen. You can run a red dot with fixed sights, and they are there and ready when you want to make the more precise aimed iron sight shot.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Generally speaking, am I better off buying a mil-spec buffer tube or a commercial sized tube? I'm assuming mil spec will have more options, but I'm no expert.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    How about delton? Thats who i'm getting my upper from. My lower is a Surplus arms and ammo lower and my build kit for the stripped lower is a palmetto state.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I'd just stick with the PSA upper as well. Delton doesn't have the best rep out there.

I do wish to caveat this though. Companies with less than stellar reps have been known to put out reliable guns as well. A good fiend of mine runs a Oly and his has been flawless so far, about 15 years of flawless. The guts is what makes a rifle perform reliably, at the minimum I would get the best LPK, BCG I could find. I would also hold out for a 1:7 chrome lined and honest to God 5.56 chambered barrel.

TacticalM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Have you spoken with a local shop about buying parts online for you? Supports them and could possibly be cheaper for you even after shipping. Local shops get dealer discounts from what I understand and can pass some savings on to you.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I'd just stick with the PSA upper as well. Delton doesn't have the best rep out there.

I do wish to caveat this though. Companies with less than stellar reps have been known to put out reliable guns as well. A good fiend of mine runs a Oly and his has been flawless so far, about 15 years of flawless. The guts is what makes a rifle perform reliably, at the minimum I would get the best LPK, BCG I could find. I would also hold out for a 1:7 chrome lined and honest to God 5.56 chambered barrel.
    What have you heard bad about them?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think I'm starting to really zero in on what I'd like to build. The problem is that it's definately not going to be cheap.

I'm really starting to like the idea of a "Dissipator" sized rifle just for the compact size, but also the long sight radious. The thing is I'd like to get an 18" heavy bull barrel that's threaded to accomodate this. Another nice thing I've stumbled across is this new stock from doublestar, DoubleStar TI-7 Buttstock Collapsible Mil-Spec Diameter AR-15 Synthetic Foliage Green That looks to me to be about as good as a buttstock is going to get. I'm still looking so who knows what I'll end up with.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    What have you heard bad about them?

I look as the AR as being a serious fighting tool, comes from a lifetime of lugging one around, where performance matters in a rather significant way. I avoid AR15.com, well because it annoying at the least. From the most technical AR site out there.
    BCM vs delton kit input please - M4Carbine.net Forums
    del-ton and milspec? - M4Carbine.net Forums
    Del-ton.com: GTG - M4Carbine.net Forums

The AR is a very technical tool, there is a reason why the .gov has very specific specs for it. It took a good deal to get the thing as reliable as it is today.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I look as the AR as being a serious fighting tool, comes from a lifetime of lugging one around, where performance matters in a rather significant way. I avoid AR15.com, well because it annoying at the least. From the most technical AR site out there.
    BCM vs delton kit input please - M4Carbine.net Forums
    del-ton and milspec? - M4Carbine.net Forums
    Del-ton.com: GTG - M4Carbine.net Forums

The AR is a very technical tool, there is a reason why the .gov has very specific specs for it. It took a good deal to get the thing as reliable as it is today.
    So they both work ones just better. My lower is going to be mil spec. Upper won't. Del ton will serve its purpose. This is my 1st build after all. The reviews on the upper im buying are steller. All 5 stars. But I respect your opinion about it being a seriouse fighting machine. Maybe I don't see it that way because I haven't carried on in combat. Will a mil spec lower work on a non mil spec upper?

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    So they both work ones just better. My lower is going to be mil spec. Upper won't. Del ton will serve its purpose. This is my 1st build after all. The reviews on the upper im buying are steller. All 5 stars. But I respect your opinion about it being a seriouse fighting machine. Maybe I don't see it that way because I haven't carried on in combat. Will a mil spec lower work on a non mil spec upper?

Most upper and lower recievers come from a few makers. Those are the parts that for the most part one can save some change on. About the only bad I've heard anyone gripe about some of the lower tier maker branded lower recievers are they may had the pin holes undersized or slightly out of position, mag wells tight, but that seems to be not so common. The upper and lowers should go together ok, may be a little loose or a touch tight, but no biggie either way as that shouldn't affect the functioning or accuracy in any way. Like I mentioned earlier LPK, BCG and barrel bear the work and I would pay the few bucks to get the good stuff. If I had an AR with unknown quality LPK I would just pick up a quality set and set it aside to use IF the one in there failed. Spare parts on hand ain't a bad idea on any gun.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Most upper and lower recievers come from a few makers. Those are the parts that for the most part one can save some change on. About the only bad I've heard anyone gripe about some of the lower tier maker branded lower recievers are they may had the pin holes undersized or slightly out of position, mag wells tight, but that seems to be not so common. The upper and lowers should go together ok, may be a little loose or a touch tight, but no biggie either way as that shouldn't affect the functioning or accuracy in any way. Like I mentioned earlier LPK, BCG and barrel bear the work and I would pay the few bucks to get the good stuff. If I had an AR with unknown quality LPK I would just pick up a quality set and set it aside to use IF the one in there failed. Spare parts on hand ain't a bad idea on any gun.
    I will buy some spare parts. I will also do another ar15 build in the future. I'm not looking for anything fancy for the 1st time. Just gonna see if it works.

Top Bottom