I think it's time I built my own AR-15. Now where to look for parts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think it's time I built my own AR-15. Now where to look for parts?

I'd like to start slowly buying parts and build an AR-15 on my own. I'm still in the homework/research phase of this and I won't be buying anything for another month or two, but I think I may be making a parts list for Christmas this year. :)

It's kind of a natural evolution for me because I started reloading to have better quality ammo for the cheapest I could get it, and now I'd like to start building AR's for basically the same reasons. I see the cheaper AR-15's out there like Doublestar's on Buds for just shy of $700 and then I think, well I'd like to change this and this and this, and before you know it, the gun isn't so inexpensive anymore.

For example, I'd love to build a rifle similar to the doublestar Hbar on buds, but I'd want a folding front sight gas block like a colt 6940 has, I'd rather put some kind of free float tube or free float rail on the rifle instead of the standard handguards, and I'd probably put in some lighter trigger springs also.

I know the websites that sell the parts, and from what I've seen Brownells seems to have the best video instructions on the internet for the "How to" part of the build. I'm just curious for all you guys & gals who have already gone down this road where you go to first for you parts.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Bravocompanyusa.com is where I have bought the parts for my last 5 or so AR's I built. They have great prices and include some pretty good swag in the boxes if you order enough. Their customer service has been great for me and the company is top notch.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've read a lot of good information about Bravo Company. Just being nosey and you don't have to answer, but about how much did you wrap up in your BCM AR?

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    From front to back, I spent about $550ish if I remember right. It had magpul parts, a BCM Chrome lined barrel, Midwest Industries Free Float handguard, and BCM BCG. I used a Rock River lower that I had bought locally for around 115$.

The rifle is a blast to shoot and has been 100% reliable ever since.

Edit: it was actually closer to 600 I think. I am doing some checking.
    Edit #2: I also got some sweet deals on a sale they were running. I would say that 700 bucks buys a very nicely equipped rifle

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    $600 for a BCM?!?!? Oh wow I have been missing the boat for quite some time then. I'd do that in a heartbeat!

I've looked on Midway and threw parts in the wishlist and I'm over $700 already without everything.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    $600 for a BCM?!?!? Oh wow I have been missing the boat for quite some time then. I'd do that in a heartbeat!

I've looked on Midway and threw parts in the wishlist and I'm over $700 already without everything.

Fathers day sales got me that price.

If you find some deals on other sites, you can order the bulk from BCM and odds and ends elsewhere and come out just below 700 bucks right now.

Here is what I got right now.

BCM--
    Charging handle: 22.95
    A2 Flash hider: 8.00
    LMT Bolt Carrier group: 129.00
    Gas Tube: 13.00
    Yankee Hill Gas Block: 22.00
    Yankee hill free float rail: 100.00
    BCM barrel: 169.00

Total 464.00

Aim Surplus--
    Spikes upper receiver: 99
    Spikes lower reveiver (zombie Blemish): 69.00

Total 168.00

Palmetto State Armory--
    MOE Lower Build Kit: 125.00

TOTAL: 757 without sights.

You could save 100 dollars + or - by going to a non free float hand guard and choosing some other parts. Scouring the classifieds could do you even better.

Although with some of the deals at palmetto state armory on their rifle kits, you are going to be hard pressed to beat those.

Just a quick look got me these numbers. Hope it gives you a place to start.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    No prob. I like for guys to get into an AR for a good price. I challenge you to mismatch some parts from other sites and build one for 650 or less!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For the way I want to get mine built I don't think that'll be possible. The big ticket item so far is the yankee hill folding front sight, and I want a nice thick bull barrel with a flash suppressor on it, and those two odd ball items alone are going to throw me out of the under $650 challenge. If/when I do this project I will definately let you know how it goes. I know my AR well now, but I want to really, really know how it functions in the future.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    You are right in thinking that specialty items may throw you out of the 650 dollar range.

I do have a suggestion however. Model 1 Sales uses ER Shaw Barrels that shoot very well. I have had 2 Model 1 Sales uppers one was a 20 inch bull barreled, free floated upper. I paid 325 out the door from the Indy 1500. I took it home and slapped it on a spikes lower with an A2 stock and a Leupold Mk AR scope. It shot MOA or just over MOA with factory ammo. With handloads I was getting 5 round groups at 100 that were all touching and about the size of a quarter. I am no crack shot or anything.

I hear that they have some suspect business practices when ordering off of their website and I would not recommend their BCG or lower receiver to anyone (because I have not used one and dont know of the quality). However, if you take cash to the gun show and walk away with an upper you are golden.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    If you aren't in too much of a hurry good deals can be had on some other website's "equipment exchanges". I ordered a LPK from G&R Tactical which arguably is one of the best out there with a great "stock" trigger. You can definitely save good $$ from going used in the barrel and free float rail department, I picked up a larue 13.2" for $230.

From my reading online, it seems like lower and upper receivers (the actual parts) do not have to come from a name brand company as long as they are spec. that being said, BCM has blem'd uppers for a great price! ($79).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    that being said, BCM has blem'd uppers for a great price! ($79).

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how to build a completely BCM AR for that 650 mark. I think this could be my new project.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    you should first give some thought as to your purpose for it , plinking , varmint , home defense , target . after you have figured that out you can start your build . you can buy a 600.00 ar15 so why build one , lower receiver is any milspec w/ a rra n.m. parts kit or you can buy you a RRA complete lower for about $325 . your upper is where it gets custom , receiver , bcg , gas block or front sight , flash hider or muzzle break ,hand guard and oh yeah your barrel . you can shop around and save a bunch of money on quality parts but not going to build a custom ar15 for $600.00 barrels i would recommend WOA or wilson combat . everything else you can go to midway for , if interested i can give you a number for my supplier in ohio for your bcg and upper receiver good luck and have fun with it but dont go cheap or foolish you will regret it later and your rifle wont mean as much to you , if you have to buy one peice at a time for cost then do it . its worth it

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    Well I will be subscribing as I am in the same boat just less into only way I can get one this year is as a gift lol. But this is what I was looking to do then eventually make another ar for 300 blackout Haha. Keep up the info. And why do we not have small section for ar and ak build plans/ ideas/ steps and things to look for? Just throwing it out.

Top Bottom