I slugged the barrel. Question on bullet diameter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Just before deer season I picked up a Ruger 77/44, too late to use it this year. I have reloaded thousands of 12 ga. but this is my first attempt at utilizing the metalic cartridge reloading equipment I have had for awhile. This rifle is to be my guinea pig for developing accurate loads.

I have some Hornady XTP in 240 and 300 grain with a diameter of .430. I would also like to try a Keith style lead bullet for the halibut. I know that in order to shoot lead one must know the true diameter of the bore and I went about finding that. It was pretty easy using an egg sinker and thin brass rod I picked up at Menard's.

I used a micrometer instead of calipers and came up with a measurement of .4296. That is actually closer to .430 than .429 and I've heard that you should go .001 over bore diameter. I want to order some lead Keith style before casting on my own. By luck I happened upon an old Ideal 429421 mould in mint condition. I want to keep the velocity low enough to not need a gas check which I think is somewhere around 1300-1400 fps for a .44 mag.

The lead bullets are available in increments of .429 .430 .431. Since the bore is actually pretty close to .430 do those more knowledgeable than I think a .431 would be better than a .430 diameter bullet? :dunno: Thanks in advance.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    The .001" over groove diameter is just a guide. It's not unheard of for a rifle to like .002-3" over groove diameter depending on the throat.
    So yes, if it was me, I'd start with the .431"
    1300-1400 fps isn't unreasonable if the boolit fits, and you have good lube. Just start low and work up.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I would try .431". If you experience leading try .432".

I kill deer with my cast sized to 431 out of a SBH. If you have any problems with leading let me know and I'll help you determine cause. It can be due to several factors in a rifle. Lube, bullet size, pressure and alloy etc.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Check to see what diameter bullet your mold drops, if it drops .430 you will need to do a little work on the mold with aluminum tape. Not familiar with the Ruger but some rifles can be fussy about feeding SWC profiles.:)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'd try both the .429 and the .430 and see which shoots better.
    Consensus on 9mm says for lead you need to size at a .356 or you'll get leading, for the last 5 yrs I've been sizing my 9mm at .355 and have never had any leading.
    I don't run mine hot so I don't know.:dunno:

gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    i load for two of these 240 Hornady XTP 24.0 grains of H110 shoots good in both (1 to 1.5 in at 100) i am working up a 310 grain Lee WFN load that works thru the magazine i will use it next year the 240 XTP load is hell on whitetails i also have a 250 grain.4315 GC keith load with 24.0 H110 and its a shooter in both
    that and torque the action screws to 45 inch-lbs

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Thanks for all the great info! I have only shot the rifle indoors with open sights so far and it wasn't too shabby. It now wears a Leopold 1-4 x 20 shotgun scope that seems perfect but I haven't tried it yet. I would be very pleased with 1 to 1.5 at 100.

The local Cabela's had H110 powder so that is all I have for now along with several manuals. I have 60 pieces of brass that have been tumbled, sized and primed which will be loaded with the XTP's I have. I do want to try some lead also. I have amended my thoughts and will most likely try a gas check.

I have read "The ABC's of Reloading and this video was reassuring also. Basic Pistol Reloading 44 Magnum Part 1 - YouTube

The Rockchucker, Redding trickler, etc are ready to go!!

gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    oh what dies do you have? LEE? this will make or break accuracy!!!!! I back the seating die out one full turn so it does not crimp when seating the bullet!!!! then remove the seating stem from the die and crank it down for crimping and then rotate the round in the shellholder in the ram of the press(not the die) 1/2 turn and crimp again!!!! this alleaviates any runout issues with your dies my groups were 3 inches plus before i learned this trick!

Gutpile

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I thought I read they won't obturate much at all unless they are HB.. hollow base. I have read quite a bit about the throat being involved with accuracy. The hard core shooters will even measure them then seat the bullet to a depth that places the bullet just shy of the rifling. Having said that I found this from Beartooth bullets. Poifect! The very top of the page. Beartooth Bullets > FAQ

Top Bottom