• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    When I am in the market I always check out the floor models on sale at HHGregg. My last TV i got a 46" Coby LED for $299 because the box was open. That was about 2 years ago.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I watched a Vizio 3D at my son-in-laws house and it was amazing. I would suggest getting a 3D for the living room and moving the living room TV to the bedroom. He bought a model that was being discontinued do to a newer model. My next TV will be 3D

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I spend most of my leisure time in the bedroom. I love my wife dearly but we definitely do not have the same tastes in programing. I watch Discovery, A&E, the History Channel and the Outdoor Channel. She watches movies and has a 42" plasma I bought probably five or six years ago, I'm watching a 32" Sony (not sure if LCD or LED) I bought about three years ago. Mine will go upstairs when I upgrade.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Look at a Vizio brand. They having good quality for the price. I bought mine at Sam's club. 65 inch. I love it! Trying to single out one seller of electronics as having junk electronics doesn't really work. They all sell the same brands. The price's may vary but not usually a lot. Look for a sale. Even if you fine a in house branded electronics it's going to just be a re-brand of something else. I did consumer electronics repair for a long time. I have seen just about everything.

I had heard great things about Vizio TVs and their value. I bought a new 60" Vizio smart tv a month or two ago from Best Buy. It would freeze up and stop working when any other TV in the house was turned on. I thought that I must have gotten a defective TV, so I returned it to Best Buy. They gave me an identical Vizio that did the exact same thing. At this point I figured it had to be something going on with the cable. Two consecutive TVs couldn't be defective, could they? I had the cable guy out and he spent hours testing, only to determine that everything was fine. I took the TV back to Best Buy and explained my problem to them, expecting the sales people not to believe me. They immediately said that they have had the same problems with countless Vizio TVs. Apparently it is extremely common for Vizio TVs to have issues like that.

The nice people at Best Buy exchanged my Vizio for a Samsung. It worked perfectly, so I bought another Samsung and a Panasonic off of them. Neither TV has given me a bit of problems. The one thing I learned from the whole fiasco is that I'll never have another Vizio again. :twocents:

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    HHGregg carries some really good deals from time to time. I went in to get a Sharp no frills 60" a couple of years ago for them to price match elsewhere. They didn't have that model any longer, but they offered me an LG 60" smart/3D for the same price.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can't speak to their LED sets, but the plasma units are junk. I had three that failed for one reason or another way before they should have.
    Don't have to worry about plasma anymore. It is effectively dead. Even Panasonic who bought the rights to Pioneer's legendary plasma tech have pretty much dumped it for 4k.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Why not just waltz into a store and ask?

"Hi, I'm looking for something a little bigger to entertain my wife in the bedroom. Do you mind if I check out what you have?"

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Plasma is yesterdays Technology. In efficient. Prone to failure's. LCD's are prone to cracking display's but better then Plasma buy a long shot. LED's are the bomb. JMHO

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I used to dog on Vizio but the parts are solid. I think [don't hold me to this, it's been a while since I looked] the screens are made by Sony and the electronics by ... another reputable vendor of electronics.

In short - it's a brand-name TV in a not-so-name-brand box last I looked.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    No TV in bedroom.
    No recliners.
    No real reason to post in thread.

I would still look at Costco, they add a year warranty to whatever the manufacturer has, and they have the same TVs everyone else does, just generally a little less. I recently purchased a 42" Samsung LED Smart TV from them and it's been great.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have found that lots of samsung appliances are a really good value. I have a television, DVD player, and Refrigerator.

IMO, nothing wrong with the samsung brand. I'll echo what others have said about LED definitely the way to go. Now, whether or not you get 3D is up to you. Personally, I think it looks weird. That's just my taste though.

About 9 years ago I bought a 65" Mitsu rear proj and paid almost $2Gs for it. It really is amazing what the market has done with televisons.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I travel a lot for work and noticed that nearly every hotel I stay at has a LG TV in the room. I figured that must count for something in the reliability department, so that's what I bought. LG 60" LED for $599 on sale at hh gregg.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    We bought a 39" Vizio at Sams for our bedroom, I'm thinking it was $399, but it may have been less. We've had it almost a year, and are very happy with it. We now have 4 Vizios from Sams, all bought roughly at the same time, and haven't had a problem with any of em'.

The best thing about the Sam's TV's is that you can buy a multi-years extended warranty cheap. I got my Sony TV covered for 5 years when we bought it. Haven't had any issues, but it was worth the few bucks to have the peace of mind.

Vizio for sure. When we do a walk thru at Sam's and see close out or clearance TV's. The insurance is cheap and it works. Unfortunately, I bought an HP DLP that went south after a couple of years and they refunded the full purchase price.

Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    If you are looking for the best picture quality and best colors look at Samsung. We have 2 Samsung TV's in our house we bought from BestBuy. Awesome picture quality and they have an automatic screen dimmer so if the lighting in the room changes the screen gets darker or brighter depending on what's better for the light arrangement. Sound is awesome too. We also got the Smart TV Version for the bedroom so I can watch Netflix directly through the TV and a few other apps. Bang for the buck too. I think we got a 32" for right around $200 and get a decent BluRay player if you watch movies. Crème dele Crème.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    phylodog: All 3 of my TVs are Samsungs and I have 0 complaints about any of them. 61" LED-DLP, 40" LCD, and a 32" LED-LCD. I hear Sharp makes a mean TV too, but all my thin TV experience has been Samsung and they are excellent.

this thread is making me want the new 65" samgung 3d UHD TV even more. fiance says i cant buy it until after the wedding :(

For anyone on the prowl for a new TV, especially the new 4k or UltraHD models, make sure you are getting one that is HDCP 2.2 compliant.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I travel a lot for work and noticed that nearly every hotel I stay at has a LG TV in the room. I figured that must count for something in the reliability department, so that's what I bought. LG 60" LED for $599 on sale at hh gregg.

Not necessarily. If you ever look on the back of the tv you will likely see a phone cord coming out of it as well as the antenna cable. That's a remote control cable that connects to the Entertainment server. That's why they always fire up to the annoying preview channel at a certain annoying volume.

Odds are it was the best bid for tvs with that special port.

But you are still kinda right. Lg makes decent tvs that seem to last.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Amazon and Samsung.
    Samsungs IMHO have the best sound out of a flatscreen. Picture will stomp a Vizio. Viewing angle is much better on the Sammy.
    You can get a Samsung for only a view dollars more than a Vizio.
    I had one, took it back in a week, sound sucked pond water on it. The Samsung I replaced it with is heads and shoulders above the Vizio.

Also watch www.techbargains.com for deals.

Unless it changed recently, both Best Buy and Sams... the Tv's are made just for them. Not normal model numbers/features.

Top Bottom