• ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Sounds like you need a real gun belt.

The holster is only part of the solution, but the main way to insure your gun is tight up against your body is to use a real gun belt. More than anything else, the gun belt will make it easy to carry, a heavy gun seems light, a light gun seems weightless.

This says it all, I weigh 140lbs and carry a Sig 226. Since I bought a real belt no more floppy gun, saggy pants or a sore back.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    While I'm currently running Kydex myself and have been for a few years, I think there are probably a larger number of good designs available for the J-frame in the steak wrapper section, if only due to market demographics...

Yep, you are probably right Tam. I have a couple kydex's for mine now, but when I neede one in a hurry for a snubbie class last year, I had to go with leather.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    A flopping butt is a pretty serious problem. I'm not sure that I've seen an airweight in a Real Deal Holyfield belt holster. Pocket and ankle carry seem to be popular for those models.

Skyhawk

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Richmond Indiana
    I've carried everything from a S&W 586 4", Colt .45 Combat Commander, to my Glock 23. Many different holsters, different carry styles, and it was the belt that really made the difference. Cheap holster worked best inside the belt. Stiff High Rise holsters had to be in tight. Does restrict your breathing sometimes. Best carry is inside the belt for me. With or without a holster.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    An airweight j frame should be able to carry without issue WITHOUT a holster, assuming a good belt is used. I carry my j frame in a DeSantis leather IWB holster, and use a Bullhide belt, never have had issue with it not stating put.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I recommend Crossbreed. Lifetime Warranty. And they look good, not like some crazy back support rig.
    400_gunbelts.png

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also:

If all you're carrying is an airweight J-frame sized revolver:

You can get away with a "lower quality" belt a little longer - provided you still have a quality holster.

My belt-carry choice for a J-frame is a High Noon Holster's Split Decision. An inexpensive yet quite well made IWB holster.

Also, you can get away with a lower quality belt for IWB than you ever can carrying OWB - no matter the firearm. I still suggest a good quality belt designed to hang a gun from.

I use a 5.11 Casual Belt for IWB and a BeltMan belt for OWB/everyday.

-J-

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Yep, you are probably right Tam. I have a couple kydex's for mine now, but when I neede one in a hurry for a snubbie class last year, I had to go with leather.

FWIW, yesterday I had an appointment with an almost-a-dentist at IUPUI and used a kydex AIWB J-frame holster from Dark Star Gear for the first time, due to its easy-to-put-back-on-in-the-car nature. I was impressed. (I generally find AIWB prohibitively uncomfortable.)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom