I have the worst luck with major car breakdowns during long distance travel.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I am knocking on wood as I type, but I've driven to California and back multiple times, make frequent trips to Virginia and also to KC and I haven't ever really broken down.

Had a radiator spring a leak in a 91 Suburban on the way to Grandpa's house in Ohio once. I was only 20 miles from his house so I just topped off with water at a gas station and went for it. Replaced the radiator the next day.

Been really lucky I guess. I never buy new cars and have had several with over 300K miles. I do all my maintenance and repairs myself, so I think I have a better grasp than most exactly what condition my vehicles are in.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I know it sucks, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody, that said, it does actually make sense that a vehicle part would be more likely to break on a long trip under heavy use rather than on short trips.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know it sucks, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody, that said, it does actually make sense that a vehicle part would be more likely to break on a long trip under heavy use rather than on short trips.
    But that kind of goes against conventional wisdom. You always hear people say, "Yes it has high mileage, but they're almost all highway miles." The reasoning being that the stopping and starting is harder on components I guess. :dunno:

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    But that kind of goes against conventional wisdom. You always here people say, "Yes it has high mileage, but they're almost all highway miles." The reasoning being that the stopping and starting is harder on components I guess. :dunno:
    True. I suppose it probably makes a difference which components. A/C problems were mentioned up thread and I had that in my mind.

Highway miles would certainly be easier on the brakes and would have less acceleration loads, but would also have higher speeds and longer running times.

There is probably a study out there somewhere that would analyze all this and give you an idea what things to have checked before a trip. However, I am like most people and just get in and go, and cry when something goes wrong.

Top Bottom