I got pulled over can the cop go in my car take my gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Stop telling them you have a gun!

Ditto! I've been stopped several times while CC'ing...and never an issue! Keep the hands on the wheel at 10 & 2 (initially) and keep them in sight throughout the stop! I've never been asked if I have a LTCH or a gun...and I've never volunteered the information!

I have a good buddy who is a cop...and he's said several times the best thing you can do is 1) cooperate and 2) ask INTELLIGENT or CLARIFICATION questions! Asking stupid questions to distract or arguing will get you nowhere! Ticketing is the officer's discretion...your attitude plays a factor!

Oh...BTW...have a nice day!

beachhead40

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    North Of Indy
    Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over.
    Me: I will not be answering any questions today.
    Officer: License and registration.
    Me: Hands requested items:
    goes and runs my stuff......
    Officer: Do you have anything illegal;
    Me: That is a question, I have stated I will not be answering any questions.
    Officer threatens me with obeying his commands
    Me: Am I being detained?
    Officer: Get out of the car.
    Me: locks door as exiting, and state I do not consent to Search and seizure, keys in pocket.
    Officer: So we are going to be a tough guy.
    Me: My lawyer and I know my rights, unless I'm being detained, I would like to leave, other wise I would like to speak to your supervisor.
    Officer: You are free to go.

So take this for what its worth, you do not have to answer questions as they are trying to get you to tell on yourself; or open doors to get them an arrest

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Me: locks door as exiting, and state I do not consent to Search and seizure, keys in pocket.
    Me: My lawyer and I know my rights, unless I'm being detained, I would like to leave, other wise I would like to speak to your supervisor.

So take this for what its worth, you do not have to answer questions as they are trying to get you to tell on yourself; or open doors to get them an arrest

Is this what you do?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

or you could just **** off everytime, much quicker

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm not going to tell anyone else what to do, but when I was pulled over the other day, I was asked where I was coming from (home) and where I was going (work). I answered, and I know some lawyers disagree with answering anything, but in my mind, answering those questions was benign.

I was not asked why I was pulled over that time, but in the past, when it was the truth, I have answered "speed" or " because I rolled through that stop sign back there" when it was obvious why I was stopped. Verbal warnings both times.

I have never been asked about having a gun.

Do what you want to do, but I have never gotten a ticket I did not deserve and have gotten warnings more often than not...even though I've been known to view speed limits as amusing suggestions.

One of the crazy things- I don't do criminal things and I don't lie.....making finding out my crimes or lies pretty difficult.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

What does it cost you to just be nice? For pete's sake maybe it is the Officer's first stop with a FTO watching everything. Maybe it is his 5,000th stop.

Why can't you be nice? Why do you have to be adversarial? Trust me on this, he wouldn't have stopped you unless he saw something that FORCED him to take action.

I have stopped plenty of folks when I was just on my way to get a cup of coffee with my friends. The "stoppee" forced me to forego what I really wanted to do. I never took pleasure in doing paperwork and stopping by Uncle Joe's Motel and B & B to drop off some dweeb who couldn't follow the rules and stood out from everybody else on the road.

Cops mainly want an uneventful shift too. The more citizen contacts you have, the greater the chance of an IA complaint. No win.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    What does it cost you to just be nice? For pete's sake maybe it is the Officer's first stop with a FTO watching everything. Maybe it is his 5,000th stop.

Why can't you be nice? Why do you have to be adversarial? Trust me on this, he wouldn't have stopped you unless he saw something that FORCED him to take action.

I have stopped plenty of folks when I was just on my way to get a cup of coffee with my friends. The "stoppee" forced me to forego what I really wanted to do. I never took pleasure in doing paperwork and stopping by Uncle Joe's Motel and B & B to drop off some dweeb who couldn't follow the rules and stood out from everybody else on the road.

Cops mainly want an uneventful shift too. The more citizen contacts you have, the greater the chance of an IA complaint. No win.

But you stop us for things as mundane as license plate light being out, one brake light being out. Whether people, you included, want to believe it or not, it is just an excuse to ask for papers because you never pull anyone over with out asking first...papers please.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    But you stop us for things as mundane as license plate light being out, one brake light being out. Whether people, you included, want to believe it or not, it is just an excuse to ask for papers because you never pull anyone over with out asking first...papers please.

I'll tag you for a rear tail light out, but I've NEVER pulled over someone for a license plate. I honestly would be too embarassed to look the driver in the face and tell him why I pulled him over.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I'll tag you for a rear tail light out, but I've NEVER pulled over someone for a license plate. I honestly would be too embarassed to look the driver in the face and tell him why I pulled him over.
    Glad to hear half of what you posted at least, but you would still demand papers for that damn tail light wouldnt you? Last time I heard of someone being pulled over for a license plate light it involved 3 girls under the age of 18 being stripped searched at a fire station in Indiana.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Glad to hear half of what you posted at least, but you would still demand papers for that damn tail light wouldnt you? Last time I heard of someone being pulled over for a license plate light it involved 3 girls under the age of 18 being stripped searched at a fire station in Indiana.

Ya Herr Bunny. That's a good stop IMO.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I was middle age guy in my normal work shirt and tie with my wife in the front seat driving in my subdivision and got pulled over for a license plate light in Schererville. I had to sit in the back seat of the cop car for 20 minutes in front of my neighbors while the two cops dicked back and forth about something.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I was middle age guy in my normal work shirt and tie with my wife in the front seat driving in my subdivision and got pulled over for a license plate light in Schererville. I had to sit in the back seat of the cop car for 20 minutes in front of my neighbors while the two cops dicked back and forth about something.

...and the missing parts of the story?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

...and the missing parts of the story?

Well, I'm gonna take a guess.
    Earlier something was mentioned about license plate lights and being pulled over.
    And Burton mentioned he was pulled over just for a license plate. And they put him in the back seat, just for that.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

At least you didn't get stripped searched like those under age girls in Madison, for a broken license plate light

Last edited:

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    Does IN require you to inform them you have a gun? I know some states don't. PA and DE do not require it and OH does require you to let them know.

In answer to the OP question I would think they need reasonable cause, but when you tell them they have it they often have a right to disarm you for sake of "officer safety".

I will say even if they are not allowed you are better off no resisting. I would learn the words "I am not consenting to being disarmed, but I will not resist you"

Top Bottom