• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    and no there not in my pants. Im a young guy and out on my own for the first time so I have no idea what to use. Im a pretty clean person so I have no idea why theres ants in my house and there everywhere. What should I do short of calling an exterminator? I think there coming out of the vents. Im big on being a DIY kinda guy any chemicals or anything?

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Home Depot sells a product in a gallon sprayer called Home Defense, I've had good luck with it. No mixing required. Just spray behind all your cabinets, fridge, stove, around windows and doors and base boards. Good luck

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    and no there not in my pants. Im a young guy and out on my own for the first time so I have no idea what to use. Im a pretty clean person so I have no idea why theres ants in my house and there everywhere. What should I do short of calling an exterminator? I think there coming out of the vents. Im big on being a DIY kinda guy any chemicals or anything?

You could be a victim of a neighbors attempt to rid their house of pests. It happens all the time. You may be clean as a whistle, but your trash-hoarding neighbor may have just treated their place, which sends the critters out looking for a new set of digs.

May have nothing to do with you.

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    ...Home Defense, I've had good luck with it. No mixing required. Just spray behind all your cabinets, fridge, stove, around windows and doors and base boards. Good luck

+1. Had some tiny little red grease ants in the kitchen a couple years ago. A few sprays of Home Defense and they were gone.

They were the smallest ants I've ever seen.
    grease%20ants.preview.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ants come in around the perimeter or up through the foundation. Are you on a crawl space or a slab. Treat the perimeter with a diazanine (sp) based dusting compound. Then try and locate the entry point. I have used the home defense spray with good results. Spray under the fridge, stove and behind everything as the run the edges most often. If they are coming out of the duct work, look around the furnace and in the return air area. If it is in a basement check the walls nearby. They are sneaky aggressive little devils. You just have to find out where they are getting in and go from there.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    With the mild winter we've had, the buggy critters of ALL sorts are gonna be horrendous this year...

Yup.

Nothing abnormal 'bout ants, necessarily.

I use Home Defense on the exterior of my home when I need it.

And I use an odorless product indoors when I need it. For the life of me I can't remember the name of it, but it comes in the hand-held spray bottle size container. I buy it at Walmart - clear plastic, clear liquid, green sprayer.

I really like both products - used to use the heck out of the odorless stuff when I was in my apartment (ground floor, slab, two exterior walls) when the "sugar ants" decided that inside was better than outside.

-J-

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

1. Get some good bait traps and set them around the house.
    2. Get some ant control and go around the perimeter of your house (outside). I usually do a 3 foot wide swath around mine.

you should see a difference pretty quick. also, if the infestation is really bad, they have some interior perimeter spray that you could use as well.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Skip baits as a primary method of getting rid of the pesky vermin. Go straight to a spray. Home defence is pretty good, I've used it in the past. Last year I switched over to Black Flags version and it did a great job. Best thing is it comes in a gallon jug and has a wand that lets you get into small spaces, like behind your cabinets. You can get it at Lowe's for a good price and it works great, inside and out.

Shop BLACK FLAG 1.33-Gallon Extreme Home Insect Control at Lowes.com

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The method you use to get rid of the ants depends greatly on the actual species you have. Generally baits are better because it is carried back to the colony and kills the queen.

I once had problems with Pharaoh ants. I tried sprays at first, but they would not go away. I found out that if you spray them all you do is shock the colony and they split into multiple colonies. I switched to bait(Terro) and that got rid of them.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Terro in the house, but diazinon isn't available any more. I used a granule on the outside perimeter of the house that worked. It came in a yellow shaker and you just watered it into the ground. The trade name escapes me though.

chris miller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hancock
    Ants you say, Terro! works great on ant problems. Put a few drops on a piece of cardboard they will eat it ,take it back to their nest and it will kill all of them.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    First clean under around and behind everything especially the kitchen stove and frig, the pantry if you have one.
    Then get a bottle of Home Defense Max or other similar product from the local home improvement store. spray it behind cabinets, on the floor and baseboards around the inside perimeter of the house and on the outside perimeter about 18 inches up on the wall and the same distance out from the wall on the ground. Spray anywhere the ants can get in door sills garage door, any sill plates you can get access to.

It's going to be a day of hard work but should help with your problem. I keep home defense max all the time and spray my perimeter 2x/year.

Don't shoot the ants it only makes new holes for them to get in.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The method you use to get rid of the ants depends greatly on the actual species you have. Generally baits are better because it is carried back to the colony and kills the queen.

^This!
    What type of ants are you dealing with?
    Do you live in a single sturcture home? A bldg? An attached home with another house, etc.

As others have stated you need to deal with this issues in several ways.

1) Baits/Gels inside the home
    If you have black ants (ie. Carpentor Ants) this helped me:
    Amazon.com: Maxforce Carpenter Ant Bait Gel-1 Tube BA1023-1: Patio, Lawn & Garden

2) A spray around the perimeter of the house/structure. This will help form a barrier to ants don't come in. It should be placed on all openings to your house. Foundation, doors, windows, where roof and house meet, etc.
    Again for black ants this helped me:
    Amazon.com: Termidor SC Termiticide: Everything Else

3) A preventaive granular ant defender (you can get this at Wal-Mart, KMart, etc...) that goes on the outside of your home as well.

What I did not see mentioned here is also you need to ensure your inside (of the house) is not a welcoming place for them.

Do you have water inside the house (ie. leak that you have not discovered) that is making it a happy resort for them?

Are their long tree branches that are touching your roof? Cut these back or else the barrier you did around the house will be for nothing since they can cross over the tree.

Are you storing long term food and they someone managed to get to it?

Other food issues that you might have?

-Jedi

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    ^This!
    What type of ants are you dealing with?
    Do you live in a single sturcture home? A bldg? An attached home with another house, etc.

As others have stated you need to deal with this issues in several ways.

1) Baits/Gels inside the home
    If you have black ants (ie. Carpentor Ants) this helped me:
    Amazon.com: Maxforce Carpenter Ant Bait Gel-1 Tube BA1023-1: Patio, Lawn & Garden

2) A spray around the perimeter of the house/structure. This will help form a barrier to ants don't come in. It should be placed on all openings to your house. Foundation, doors, windows, where roof and house meet, etc.
    Again for black ants this helped me:
    Amazon.com: Termidor SC Termiticide: Everything Else

3) A preventaive granular ant defender (you can get this at Wal-Mart, KMart, etc...) that goes on the outside of your home as well.

What I did not see mentioned here is also you need to ensure your inside (of the house) is not a welcoming place for them.

Do you have water inside the house (ie. leak that you have not discovered) that is making it a happy resort for them?

Are their long tree branches that are touching your roof? Cut these back or else the barrier you did around the house will be for nothing since they can cross over the tree.

Are you storing long term food and they someone managed to get to it?

Other food issues that you might have?

-Jedi

Another +1 to the "dependent on species."

Couple of comments on carpenter ants: carpenter ants aren't just black, they're HUGE. If your ants are small, you don't have carpenter ants. The other issue with carpenter ants is that your home is not likely the nesting place. If you can determine what is and address that, you will go a long way towards helping your cause. For our latest round, it was a decomposing redbud tree about 20 yard off the front door. Do you have a firewood rack nearby? If your neighbors are close enough, something on their property could be the nest source.

Unlike the other annoying ants, carpenter ants can actually do damage to your home. The rental I'm rehabbing had tremendous wood damage do to an improperly attached deck that allowed water intrusion for an unknown period of time. However, it was also evident that much of the damage was from wood destroying insects. When we finally got around to removing the bad framing, the carpenter ants poured out of it like crazy. They can and will do just as much damage as termites.

Last edited:

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I had them coming in a small spot under my back door i didnt know was there....i lined the bottom of the door with salt and saturated it with lemon juice.....no more ants.

I read they dont like the acidity of the juice and they dont like salt.
    Bleached the trail they were using and they all got lost....LOL

But you might want to use the Terro stuff, just sayin what worked for me.

Good luck

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom