I bought a new desk, now I need help determining a new monitor.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just bought a new absolutely gorgeous roll top desk. Solid oak. Very cool.

The only problem is that my current monitor is too large to fit into the monitor "slot" on the desk. My current monitor is a total of 25.25" wide. I need to bring this down to a total of 20" wide...:crying:

When shopping for monitors what is the average addition to an X" monitor? So if I get a 19.5" monitor will its total size go over 20"? I still want as large a monitor as I can fit, but it has to fit. I also need the total height to be right at 15" or just under.

I measured the size of the desk to fit where I want, and it does beautifully, but I couldn't determine the size of the monitor slot.

Here is a picture of the desk so you can see my issue. (EDIT: This is not my desk, but an exact copy.)

rolltop desk.jpg

Thanks.

Doug

PS - $75 at auction.:rockwoot:

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    You can check the detailed specs online. Remember, displays are sized by diagonal size. It looks like a 20" (19.5" diagonal viewable) would meet your needs. See the physical dimensions below. This one is 18.6" wide.

EDIT: for comparison the dimensions of a 22" display is .1" too wide
    1663466247324.png

i.e. Here is a Viewsonic 20" on newegg.com
    1663465843558.png

1663465928912.png

1663465897880.png

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think I'd look at removing that 4-pack of small drawers on the left before I paid money to downsize my monitor.

I get what you are saying but I just don't want to do that. I love the design of the desk.

Besides the width the height of my current monitor is also a problem.:( Even IF I wanted to do that my monitor doesn't fit underneath the roll top. Regrettably, I need to reduce the height of the monitor a little more than an inch anyway.

I don't like it, but I do want the desk to function the way it was designed to. Plus, one of the few times I'm putting looks over functionality.

Regards,

Doug

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Roll top desks are generally incompatible with large monitors. Odds are you are going to need to decide whether you want a large monitor or you want to close the desk. Period.

There, I said it.

Beware the listed measurements. Its for the monitor itself, not including the stand.

I dealt with the same thing when the wife wanted a rolltop. Luckily she only has a laptop.

Dear Penthouse... I have a king size mattress. How can I fit it into the bed of my pickup truck? :):

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    And my dual 27's are sometimes too small.

I'd go for a large laptop.

We had a rolltop desk (my grandfathers) for many years. It was my wife's bill-paying workstation. She had a small-ish laptop at the time, and it worked great.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You my friend need a larger unit. (That’s. what she said).

I think a monitor arm that both extends and drops is needed. Mount it on the wall avnove the desk. When using the roll top as a roll top keep it against the wall. Viewing UTubes streaming while doing other things.
    Need email and excell pull it out and drop it down. Overs the drawers you do not want to remove.

If you are an apple dude an iPad Pro 12 used a a second monitor will work well from say a MacBook or other item. As a matter of fact a iPad Pro 12 with all of the great gadgets would be a great setup in such a tight space. I have been iPad only for a few years and it works very well for me it it is not for everyone. I take it the roll top as a electrical input j gold in the back of the top under the roll. Long HDMI cable to a real monitor or tv is the way to go. Think outside the roll top.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Now this is a terrible dilemma.
    Im at a loss, Its a Real World Problem for Sure.

I actually thought about this as I posted the initial question. It is an American problem.

Ukraine is barely getting any food out to market. Their normal markets are going to starve, some to death. Ukrainians themselves have had their homes blown up, families torn apart, no power or electricity or running water or food. Many are in refugee camps around Europe.

People in Mexico and Central America are living in fear of vicious drug gangs.

Europeans are looking at fuel prices becoming insanely high, right before winter.

And here is me, whining about just getting a beautiful desk that won't accommodate my current oversized monitor.:tantrum:

Make America Great Again??? Hell, we've never STOPPED being the greatest nation on earth! This does not mean I won't whine about my problems, but I always do try to humbly keep them in perspective.

Thanks for the great ideas. I'll look into that arm thingy.

Regards,

Doug

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Ukraine is barely getting any food out to market. Their normal markets are going to starve, some to death. Ukrainians themselves have had their homes blown up, families torn apart, no power or electricity or running water or food. Many are in refugee camps around Europe...

What happened to the billions of our tax dollars we sent them? So their "hero" leaders can pose for American magazine covers?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What happened to the billions of our tax dollars we sent them? So their "hero" leaders can pose for American magazine covers?

The billions we sent them are getting to them. See dead Russian tanks and Russian soldiers for further details. Their President Zelenskyy is keeping a besieged and occupied nation not only together but massively pushing back.

The starving I was speaking of will be in the Middle East and Africa where much of the Ukrainian food harvest would normally go. Ukraine was the 5th largest exporter of wheat in 2021, and I believe 2020. As Africa and the Middle East are not good at growing food they will suffer terribly from this supply interruption.

As to the cause of the Ukrainian peoples suffering it is irrelevant to the reality that I'm griping about a monitor size issue and they've been attacked by a hostile nation.

Regards,

Doug

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county

not that I am saying this is the one but it has drop angle abilities and raise angle ability so it can be mounted to the wall right at desk top height and lowered when in use. Raised when just streaming.

I have installed the triple desk mount in several installs and a few quads they make or made. Quality is there but they are very proud of them

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

not that I am saying this is the one but it has drop angle abilities and raise angle ability so it can be mounted to the wall right at desk top height and lowered when in use. Raised when just streaming.

I have installed the triple desk mount in several installs and a few quads they make or made. Quality is there but they are very proud of them
    Holy cow, you're not kidding about them being proud of them! :faint:

Top Bottom