• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger44srh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Scumbag steals your vehicle and you have a airtag in it so you track it down . You call the cops and request a patrol car before thief comes back . If thief comes back before cops arrive you confront the thief so thief can't take your vehicle . If thief becomes aggressive what is proper procedure to protect yourself from harm ??

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Scumbag steals your vehicle and you have a airtag in it so you track it down . You call the cops and request a patrol car before thief comes back . If thief comes back before cops arrive you confront the thief so thief can't take your vehicle . If thief becomes aggressive what is proper procedure to protect yourself from harm ??
    There is no procedure. It's the same as any other situation where you have to protect yourself from an aggressive person.

In this situation why not just get in your vehicle and leave? Or lock the doors and wait. The fact that no one was in possession of your vehicle may be problematic as far as the theft goes.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Just had this happen in Phoenix late 2022. Parked so the vehicle was blocked and was on a call with 911 while waiting. Had three people with me and all of of us were recording video on phones. Guy ended up walking out of the house. Told him police were on the way and he went back into the house. In total, seven or eight officers responded.

Drove away with the truck.

Couple pics of the event. Some of the units that responded. Must have been a slow day.

My favorite is the officer that was guarding the gate from the guys back yard. He was not getting past her.

Attachments

• IMG_1367.JPG
      IMG_1367.JPG
      999.1 KB · Views: 119
    • IMG_1365.JPG
      IMG_1365.JPG
      663.5 KB · Views: 119
    Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Just had this happen in Phoenix late 2022. Parked so the vehicle was blocked and was on a call with 911 while waiting. Had three people with me and all of of us were recording video on phones. Guy ended up walking out of the house. Told him police were on the way and he went back into the house. In total, seven or eight officers responded.

Drove away with the truck.

Couple pics of the event. Some of the units that responded. Must have been a slow day.

My favorite is the officer that was guarding the gate from the guys back yard. He was not getting past her.
    I think you just liked looking at that officer guarding the back yard.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    This is one of those situations where I don't know what I'd do. So much depends on a dozen other details, and what mood I'm in that day. Hypothetically however:

Option 1 - Call the insurance company. Maybe give them the airtag info. Wait for a check. I don't like this one because the check is never the right amount, and I always get the losing end.

Option 2 - Stake out the car from a safe distance. If thief goes for a drive, follow and update the police with the location. You've still got the airtag that got you there in the first place if needed. If the thief is driving - easier to roll him up anyway. If the guy driving is really not the original thief, let someone else sort it out. You stay safe, and avoid all the drama (I really don't like drama, especially when there is jail time involved.)

Maybe you could block it in like above, or something else creative. However, this often leads directly to option #3.

Option 3 - You can use "reasonable" force to protect your property, i.e. your car. If, while protecting your property, you are in danger, respond. IF you think your life is in danger - does anything else really matter?

Personally, I'd probably avoid #3 (unless the vehicle was really unique, and I was really attached to it - then it's family!). What if the thief comes back with three more thieves, and they're all carrying? What if the thief is a very legit bad@55 (maybe with a similar friend). How how confident are you that you can control or handle the situation as long as necessary. Not doubting your abilities, but even if you are a legit bad@55, now it's a toss up for the big prize.

There are a lot of other ways for #3 this to go south, but the potential for it to get violent, and that to get deadly, is real. Even if it all goes my way in the moment, I'm still going to have a lot of crap to deal with later - including the Prosecutor, the news, and the thief's friends and family. I don't think I'd see the upside if option #2 is available.

Whats the vehicle worth to you? What's the easiest way to get it back without getting $hit on your shoes?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Procedure your ccw does not make you Leo. Simply stated leave it to the professionals and avoid a lot of unnecessary grief.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Option one, slash his tires. He'll have to buy new ones. They're really expensive. His lesson learned the hard way. Option two, follow him for a few days until you can figure out which house is his stash house. Then, when he's gone, kick in the door, rob him of his stash, sell it back to the cartel for a profit. Use the profit to fund new car. Option three, use your key, get in car and drive away. But what if he has an airtag in the car now too???

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Option one, slash his tires. He'll have to buy new ones. They're really expensive. His lesson learned the hard way. Option two, follow him for a few days until you can figure out which house is his stash house. Then, when he's gone, kick in the door, rob him of his stash, sell it back to the cartel for a profit. Use the profit to fund new car. Option three, use your key, get in car and drive away. But what if he has an airtag in the car now too???
    tumblr_o6u70osinM1sae0d8o1_500.gif

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How do thieves steel modern vehicles? Aren't there simpler counter measures than tracking devices?

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    "Thanks for the new tires, loser!" Omar is outta control :laugh:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom