• ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    They're saying there's a good chance. From WTHR's website:

View attachment 382850View attachment 382851
    Just prepare
    After food water and firearms and medical stuff a generator should be on your list if you can afford it.This one supposedly is a Honda clone that can use Honda parts. Or so I am told. That and a transfer switch on your breaker box. $799 at Harbor Freight. $400 for a Electrician and I can power my whole house minus A/C

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpeg
      IMG_1358.jpeg
      830.4 KB · Views: 8
    • IMG_1359.jpeg
      IMG_1359.jpeg
      494.8 KB · Views: 8

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just prepare
    After food water and firearms and medical stuff a generator should be on your list if you can afford it.This one supposedly is a Honda clone that can use Honda parts. Or so I am told. That and a transfer switch on your breaker box. $799 at Harbor Freight. $400 for a Electrician and I can power my whole house minus A/C
    I have that exact same model! Just need to have the transfer switch put in.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Just prepare
    I have that exact same model! Just need to have the transfer switch put in.
    Keep an eye on Amazon, I can power my entire house with AC and electric dryer running with this one, $899 last Prime Day (I bought a few).

Get a soft start on your a/c and your current one will likely run it, the 9500 super quiet predator ran my entire last house (but we had gas water heater and heat).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Power went out here about a half hour ago. I have a small genny, but it will be hours until I pour any gas in it. After sun up, likely I'll start thinking about it.

I've spent years playing with not needing to be that dependent on power.

This seems like a good time to catch up on sleep?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Keep an eye on Amazon, I can power my entire house with AC and electric dryer running with this one, $899 last Prime Day (I bought a few).

Get a soft start on your a/c and your current one will likely run it, the 9500 super quiet predator ran my entire last house (but we had gas water heater and heat).
    I would tell you about how I made my own interlock plate and installed it on my breaker box, but I got some serious negative feedback last time I talked about it.

PS: It works great.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Power went out here about a half hour ago. I have a small genny, but it will be hours until I pour any gas in it. After sun up, likely I'll start thinking about it.

That's my plan also, if ours goes out. When our power was out last April, I waited till the next morning to crank on the generator and both freezers and the fridge were fine.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky

We had a wind storm here back in 2007, knocked out power for over a week. Not gonna lie, we got used to it after a day or two, and enjoyed the peace and quiet. Did a lot of grilling, even built a campfire a few nights and cooked over it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I'm not planning on replacing the generator I just bought last year yet. I'm okay if I can't power the AC. I do have an electric water heater, electric dryer, electric stove and of course my well pump. I can do without the laundry for a few days, and even the stove. But flushing toilets and running water would be nice (along with heat - gas furnace but electric start).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We lost power for about 1.5 hours tonight. It was nice to have whole house generator for that relatively short time. It is a convenience.

On the other hand one of our former pastors now lives in Bat Cave, KY. Reports are he and his family is safe but they saw several homes washed away today. The amount of rain that fell to our east is amazing.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I would tell you about how I made my own interlock plate and installed it on my breaker box, but I got some serious negative feedback last time I talked about it.

PS: It works great.
    That's crazy, interlocks are 100% safe. But unless you made it for less than $15, I was money ahead buying mine off Amazon.

Screenshot_20240927_195729_Chrome.jpg

I'm not planning on replacing the generator I just bought last year yet. I'm okay if I can't power the AC. I do have an electric water heater, electric dryer, electric stove and of course my well pump. I can do without the laundry for a few days, and even the stove. But flushing toilets and running water would be nice (along with heat - gas furnace but electric start).
    Mine runs all that at the same time. I only moved up to the 13,000 from the 9,500 so I could forget about load balancing and worry about tripping the breaker. I was able to get out of it what I had in it by selling on FB Marketplace.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    We lost power for about 1.5 hours tonight. It was nice to have whole house generator for that relatively short time. It is a convenience.

On the other hand one of our former pastors now lives in Bat Cave, KY. Reports are he and his family is safe but they saw several homes washed away today. The amount of rain that fell to our east is amazing.
    Just went through Bat Cave a while back, visiting Chimney Rock.

Top Bottom