• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    First of all, I am not much of a hunter. I do not like to kill much of anything. I do not think it is a sin or bad or anything like that, I just don't like to kill since I don't have to. I would hunt though, if I needed to.

So my problem is that since I do not hunt, I do not really know how to. I don't know where to go or what to hunt. No clue.

So, where does one go to learn? I would like to know two different things, one, how to hunt varmints for survival and how to hunt larger game. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Hunting is ultimately baptism by fire. You have to learn what works for you and what you're comfortable with. I have been hunting since I was 6. I started with chipmunks and have worked my way up. The best thing I can think of is take your hunter ed course get a small game license and hunt squirrels in late summer. You can then move onto rabbits in winter and so on. Hunting is also not about killing things it's about experiencing wildlife in the their natural environment. Don't get me wrong it is awesome when you take a big buck in his territory on his time.:D As for squirrel hunting just take a .22 and find just about any woods if you're a good shot there is no doubt you'll be having grilled squirrel before you know it.:)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    hunting varmints is MUCH harder than hunting deer. there is never a day in deer gun season that i dont pass opportunities to take a deer (i only hunt 1 buck a year untill the last few days then i fill the frezzer). my coyote hunting sucess is much more limited. durring bow season there are days i dont pass any deer up because my range is much more limited but with a gun i just decide its time to give up on my buck and kill some doe to eat.

if your woods is near union county i would be glad to help you scout it out and set some stands.

go to the woods find the heaviest consitration of sign (rubs scrapes trails) set a stand up wind and within your effective range. i set about 20 stands a year so i can play the wind. and sped lots of time in the stand and adjust as nessessary. some of your best scouting is done while hunting.

but as jmiller 676 said its alot of trial and error

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    I learned to hunt at a young age and went with guys that were all older than me by 20-30 years. All you need to do is find some knowledged hunters and they will always set you on the right path. Now at age 30 I hunt with an 87 yr old man and have to say I still learn a little more every year.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Where to hunt:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-hg_wheretohunt.pdf

What to hunt:

I agree that it would be easiest to start with squirrels with a .22 or even a .410. They're harder to see in the summer but pretty easy in the fall after the leaves have dropped. They don't mind a little noise but they hate movement.

If you are interested in deer & you don't have anybody to show you then there are tons of How-to DVD's on the market. Also, obviously, the 'net is a huge resource. Deer hunting can get pretty technical if you want it to but people have been successful with the primitive stuff for hundreds of years.

I have only used muzzleloaders (good for all of firearms & muzzleloader seasons) but may get a rifle this year. I did try my hand at bowhunting this year but missed the two I shot at (I need more practice :n00b:). I put up 2-3 tree stands but have not killed a deer from one yet, only from the ground & not even using a blind. I've only been hunting three years though.

Any specific questions that I can help you out on (from the perspective of a relative beginner) shoot me a PM.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You can always practice hunting without killing something. If you are into photography you can even practice by taking some pictures of wildlife.

Top Bottom