Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I consider 25,000 rounds a lot
    Depending on caliber, I agree.

Depending on the owner, it doesnt necessarily have anything to do with the price of tea in China. Competitive shooter that is out every weekend? Meh. Someone who never shoots? In and of itself strikes me as odd.

So it could go either way.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Someone once said something about a shooter, I think Aurora, having 6k.
    I said, yes, at HOME.
    Why would you count that?
    Do you count the beers on the shelf at home of a DUI?

Then, I asked, do you know how much 6k weighs?
    Good point. A shooter is gonna get caught most likely before he can return home and restock.

Now if he was a unibomber type person, stockpiles matter greatly.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Good point. A shooter is gonna get caught most likely before he can return home and restock.

Now if he was a unibomber type person, stockpiles matter greatly.

If he were the Punisher type.
    Seems most that are just trying to "hurt" others, or "make them pay", aren't that type.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

Depending on the owner, it doesnt necessarily have anything to do with the price of tea in China. Competitive shooter that is out every weekend? Meh. Someone who never shoots? In and of itself strikes me as odd.

Someone who "never shoots" may be a prepper. Bottom line is, any law-abiding American citizen may have as much ammunition and as many firearms as they want.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Someone who "never shoots" may be a prepper. Bottom line is, any law-abiding American citizen may have as much ammunition and as many firearms as they want.
    True, But I dont know of any that prep that also dont shoot regularly.

I find it odd, but not wrong just to be clear.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Prior to the Chinademic, 2019, I was surprised when I logged into my account and found that I had purchased 9000 rounds of 9mm during the year. It didn't seem like I was shooting that much but just replacing to the level I felt I needed to be. I'm glad I stayed a little ahead and I've transitioned into 22 for a lot of my practice recently. The rust comes quickly for me without regular trigger time.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    True, But I dont know of any that prep that also dont shoot regularly.

I find it odd, but not wrong just to be clear.
    Nothing odd about it. You don't have to burn 1000 rounds a week to buy when you can toward the goal of never needing to again in the knowledge that you never know when the next "empty shelves for a year" event is going to hit.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nothing odd about it. You don't have to burn 1000 rounds a week to buy when you can toward the goal of never needing to again in the knowledge that you never know when the next "empty shelves for a year" event is going to hit.
    Or when you support multiple calibers. For instance (for me)...
    Handgun
    7.62x25
    32 acp
    9mm Mak
    9mm Luger
    9mm Largo
    38 spl.
    357 mag
    45 acp
    45 colt

Rifle
    223/5.56
    6.5 Jap
    6.5 Swede
    6.5 Carcano
    7.62x51/.308
    7.62x54R
    7.65x53 Argentine
    30-06
    8mm Mauser
    30-40 Krag
    6.5x53R Dutch
    303 Brit
    30 Carbine
    7.5 Swiss

Shotgun
    12 gauge
    20 gauge

I think that's it, but I may be forgetting something. :):

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Or when you support multiple calibers. For instance (for me)...
    Handgun
    7.62x25
    32 acp
    9mm Mak
    9mm Luger
    9mm Largo
    38 spl.
    357 mag
    45 acp
    45 colt

Rifle
    223/5.56
    6.5 Jap
    6.5 Swede
    6.5 Carcano
    7.62x51/.308
    7.62x54R
    7.65x53 Argentine
    30-06
    8mm Mauser
    30-40 Krag
    6.5x53R Dutch
    303 Brit
    30 Carbine
    7.5 Swiss

Shotgun
    12 gauge
    20 gauge

I think that's it, but I may be forgetting something. :):
    And I took you for a buy American type

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The media like drama. I remember Sue Scott on Lafayette TV reporting on an arrest where someone had about 1200 !!!!!!! rounds of ammo, like he was going to start WWIII. Then the picture showed two bricks of .22lr and a few boxes of 9mm.

We are in the middle of the 3rd ammo shortage in my lifetime. The 1st one, I was caught empty handed, I remember driving to a shop in South Bend to get 1000 primers and he would not sell the primers unless I bought powder too. of course he didn't have any powder I normally used.

The 2nd shortage was about 2010. It was mostly pistol ammo dried up but you could get shotshells, so I reloaded for pistol and bought shells. That time I had a good stock of primers and powder. I really did not suffer much

This one seems to be everything dried up. Shotshells, pistol rifle, primers, powder, lead shot, it is all hard to get unless you pay huge markup above full retail. When it opens back up, people are going to stock up and even casual 500 round a year shooters are going to have a "cache".

Lack of confidence in the White House and Congress already has people nervous, that will push more to stock up also.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

But again...it doesn`t matter. Anti-gun people make a big deal out of it, and you know why they do. I don`t care how much ammo, or how many firearms, or what kind of firearms a law-abiding American has. It`s their business, not mine.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I consider 25,000 rounds a lot
    It's a good thing you aren't required to buy that many then. After Sandy Hook, I joined many here that decided to not get caught wanting again. I ended up North of that number because of that. I probably have more than that in 22s. When you can go through more than 1K in a day of shooting, it really isn't that many.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I would consider 25k of any one caliber other than .22, a pretty good cache. But I am not now nor have I ever been a competitive shooter.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    All of the is perspective.

Consider, to the average human being on planet earth, that is absurdly excessive beyond the pale. Many humans get by on just a few dollars per day or even less, so the idea of owning a firearm and having ammo, presuming it is legal in their country, is beyond comprehension.

To the average person in the developed world (not counting USA) that is obscene. Most of them (Europeans & Asians) only do some target shooting or hunting, so that amount of ammo way beyond necessity. Not all, but most.

To the average American that is a very extreme amount. The bulk of Americans live in urban environments, where the ownership of a firearm may be for home protection or possibly target shooting, so not much ammo is required. Many Americans own firearms just for hunting, so again not much is required. For almost all home protection 100 rounds would be more than sufficient.

Finally, to American gun enthusiasts, it is a fair amount. I have a bit more than that, but not much. Not because I shoot a lot, but because I collect olde military firearms and need many different calibers to shoot. To others, that is a small amount. I remember seeing a guy was selling his WWII German machine gun. He was getting rid of 100k of belted 8mm ammo. For some enthusiasts that isn't that much, for others it is a fair amount. For a few, it's a nice start.

Caveat: I am ignoring .22 ammo in this discussion. I am talking about real ammunition. Nothing at all against .22, but it is so cheap you can't help but by hundreds of rounds at a time.

In my personal opinion it is a large amount if it is just one caliber, unless someone shoots a lot, then it seems like it would be a good stockpile to sit on.

Regarding the media, yes, they do want the drama. They love making the bad guy look really, really dangerous. By the way, so does LE, otherwise why release it? LE gets to puff up their chest and show what a "powerful" and significant threat they took out. They face danger, they need a bigger budget. It goes on and on...

Regards,

Doug

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Competition and all the practice if one is serious does throw a whole different perspective into ammo usage. I used to use National Bullet Company out of East Lake, Ohio exclusively for copper washed cast bullets. Shooting several games with a .45 all summer, and Bullseye leagues in the winter with the .38spl. I practiced at least once a week, and also shot recreationally with friends. I guess I was ordering more than I thought. My friends would ask for a couple extra boxes at a time along with my order. National Bullet sent me a big advertising banner and a contract offering special prices for a consignment deal for stocking my "Store".

Top Bottom