• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    My dad died this past summer, and my brothers and I carried out close to 100 long guns from his house. Neither I or my brothers have use or space for 30+ rifles/shotguns each, so we planned to each pick out a few and sell the rest. I haven't taken any inventory yet, but what would be the best or easiest way to sell them? One idea was a booth at a gun show, but I don't know if I would need a license or a permit or anything.

Between my two brothers and I, I am the only one with an LTCH. afaik.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Are either one you of established on gunbroker? I think that is the best way to get what they are worth. It will be a long road and a lot of shipping, but you will get what they are worth. You can PM if you like for tips that I use to run successful auctions. :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Table at a gun show would probably be the fastest. I'd check with the local ATF to see if selling # guns at one show would constitute dealing or create a problem.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    My dad died this past summer, and my brothers and I carried out close to 100 long guns from his house. Neither I or my brothers have use or space for 30+ rifles/shotguns each, so we planned to each pick out a few and sell the rest. I haven't taken any inventory yet, but what would be the best or easiest way to sell them? One idea was a booth at a gun show, but I don't know if I would need a license or a permit or anything.

Between my two brothers and I, I am the only one with an LTCH. afaik.

Sorry for your loss. The classifiedsm would be good but would take forever.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Sorry about your pops. Wondering what to do with all the 100+ guns dad owned, well... I hope my boys can say that about me one day.

Gunbroker will reach the largest target market (national) & deliver the most accurate 'market' price for you; not sure what the fees are per gun sold.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    You might be surprised how quickly they'll sell here in the classifieds if you price them well. No overhead to try. You can list them several at a time with specifications to when and where you're willing to sell. Gunbroker would be a lot of trips to the post office. Gun show would be quick as long as you have items people are looking for. Auction will sell them all, fast, but won't necessarily make you the most money. It all comes down to what your time is worth.

Whatever you decide, please post it on this thread! I'm always looking for a deal on a good gun!

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Auction is the quickest, and you'll get fair market value + on the vast majority of your goods. Just be careful which auctioneer you choose. ATF is cracking down on auctioneers selling firearms (I'm an auctioneer and recently had a 2 day training seminar on this topic.) If you can find an auctioneer with an FFL, that would be ideal.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Very sorry to hear about your loss. I would probably contact several auction houses to see what your fees would be, maybe pick afew to list privately, depends on how much time you want to spend on it. For that many guns, I'd probably stay away from gunbroker. Fees and shipping too.:twocents:

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I'd agree that the classifieds would be a good way to sell them if they are at a good price.

Great deals rarely last more than a few days here.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    How much do you lose in an auction?

See how much you will lose in comission at auction, price yours at a reasonable price taking that into account. You may be surprised how quickly they move.

Top Bottom