• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Unfortunately...that typically ends up being penalized like the guy in a football game who 'get back' at the guy who's playing him dirty! You end up with the yellow flag (cops, lawsuit, etc.) being hurled at you!

It's sad that he's such a poor example of a man, father, and leader to his toddlers...much less courteous to his neighbors! Sounds like a real peace of hick!

1. Document everything!
    2. Take photos / videos to provide proof.
    3. Consult with an attorney...see if he will mail him an 'official' letter informing him that you've sought counsel regarding his errent actions.
    4. Keep calling the sheriff's office.
    5. Obtain witness statements and have them notorized for authenticity...and file them with your attorney.

Sooner or later something will change...just hope it's not you, a loved one, or one of those innocent toddlers!

Getting into a gun battle with an idiot and his idiot friends won't end well for anyone...don't get sucked down or into his level.

All good points. The toddlers are his grandchildren. His youngest child is 18 and is definitely following in dad's footsteps. We have chased the son and his friends off of our property more than once and the last time he was clearly aware that I was carrying. I made no threats, just had my gun on my hip and did not hide it. I am going to take some time tomorrow to start a log of everything that has happened as I can look up dates that we have called the authorities and such. Getting statements will be easy and we know a notary so even getting things notarized won't be hard. The DNR and Sheriff's reports from September should also document the targets and tree damage as well as the photos I have.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Seems odd. :scratch:

I listen to the scanner a bit here. The sheriffs and CO's in this neck of the woods seem to follow the bullets not leaving the shooter's property as safe shooting practice.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I see a new forum for me to visit more often! I'm glad to find others who are willing to share ideas like this, but agree that I wish I was finding this forum for other reasons. Time for me to head to bed as last night was poker night and I have not fully recovered. I'll be checking in tomorrow sometime and will be making lots of notes from the suggestions shared here. Thanks everyone! Keep the ideas coming!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Seems odd. :scratch:

I listen to the scanner a bit here. The sheriffs and CO's in this neck of the woods seem to follow the bullets not leaving the shooter's property as safe shooting practice.

I'm quite a bit north of Monroe County. We are not in Knox county but near the town of Knox in Starke County....much farther north. I know our sheriff's department is sadly understaffed but this is a safety concern and I can't believe more isn't being done.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    All good points. The toddlers are his grandchildren. His youngest child is 18 and is definitely following in dad's footsteps. We have chased the son and his friends off of our property more than once and the last time he was clearly aware that I was carrying. I made no threats, just had my gun on my hip and did not hide it. I am going to take some time tomorrow to start a log of everything that has happened as I can look up dates that we have called the authorities and such. Getting statements will be easy and we know a notary so even getting things notarized won't be hard. The DNR and Sheriff's reports from September should also document the targets and tree damage as well as the photos I have.

Good for you! Unfortunately, justice sometimes only prevails after a long and arduous journey! In court...the better (more accurate and concise) documentation you present the better chance you have of winning. One other great reason for accurate documentation is that you get to hold it on your lap and refer to it on cross...that way your responses are accurate and consistent! Tough to beat when you wrote it down and can refer back to it for answers!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm quite a bit north of Monroe County. We are not in Knox county but near the town of Knox in Starke County....much farther north. I know our sheriff's department is sadly understaffed but this is a safety concern and I can't believe more isn't being done.

Wonder if you called the state police, if you wouldn't get better results?

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If there is damage to your property then he can be sued for the damages. Is PD waiting for someone to get killed before they do anything? If you don't want to sue them and PD wont help then either wait for someone to get hurt or sell your land. Can you buy them out?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    All well and good but if mom45 follows your advice she will likely being going to jail for premeditated murder...but hey what the hell...she'll be a real woman then right?
    I'm not a lawyer, but if bullets are whizzing past her or her neighbors' heads, I think it would be self defense, wouldn't it? (only a VERY pale shade of purple implied) But seriously, if I tell you to stop shooting at me, and you continue, doesn't that constitute a threat to my life? First time you do it may be accidental, but after that I would have to assume that you mean to harm me.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not a lawyer, but if bullets are whizzing past her or her neighbors' heads, I think it would be self defense, wouldn't it? (only a VERY pale shade of purple implied) But seriously, if I tell you to stop shooting at me, and you continue, doesn't that constitute a threat to my life? First time you do it may be accidental, but after that I would have to assume that you mean to harm me.

Or he is just dumber than a sack of hair.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Could be criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon as a possible result of this sequence of events. Curious that local LE haven't stepped in and taken a more proactive role, in view of the possible consequences. :dunno:

restraining order of some kind?

that may have his guns taken away.

Police could go this route if they were so inclined...

IC 35-47-14Chapter 14. Proceedings for the Seizure and Retention of a Firearm

Only if you also make angry gestures at an Excise Ossifer.

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Its guys like this who give Starke county a bad rap. Unfortunately, it seems like Starke county is full of idiots like him.

Just be careful what you say on here. Even if it is said in jest, lawyers can twist it to their favor. It wouldn't be the first time someone's INGO posts were used against them in court.

I'm not too far from you. If you need any help let me know. I can even bring my own ammo. ;)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If there is damage to your property then he can be sued for the damages. Is PD waiting for someone to get killed before they do anything? If you don't want to sue them and PD wont help then either wait for someone to get hurt or sell your land. Can you buy them out?

The police told us they can't do anything until something bad happens. I looked at the officer like he'd lost his mind and asked him if they seriously intended to wait until someone or something got shot or killed. I told him that is insane, and he agreed and said that nobody likes to regulate firearms. I told him, I own guns. I shoot guns...have for most of my life and enjoy them very much. However, I am not willing to see someone harmed because this idiot is too stupid to erect a proper backstop. His mother-in-law owns the ground and I doubt that they would even consider selling. I am never moving so that is not an option.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If I were in this outrageous situation I would be sure I had a well documented journal reviewed and approved by a lawyer. I would pay the lawyer to contact the various officials in your area on your behalf. I would ask my lawyer to do whatever he can to end this and make the neighbor accountable for what I (IANAL) consider criminal behavior. I would have no further contact with this individual, and I would seek the cooperation of my decent neighbors to join in with me to put this to an end. Bullets can kill at quite a distance as we all well know. Who wants to see someone get hurt/killed because of this clown.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Its guys like this who give Starke county a bad rap. Unfortunately, it seems like Starke county is full of idiots like him.

Just be careful what you say on here. Even if it is said in jest, lawyers can twist it to their favor. It wouldn't be the first time someone's INGO posts were used against them in court.

I'm not too far from you. If you need any help let me know. I can even bring my own ammo. ;)

I have not called the state police but may call them just to see if they can be of any assistance. I agree with you that there are too many of these fools in our county. Our neighborhood seems to attract them. I thought about talking to the commissioners but nobody likes to trod on gun rights and I can certainly respect that to a point. It would be a very politically controversial move for them and I'm not sure they are willing to do anything that is going to hurt their political careers from what I have seen when dealing with other "issues" in the county. Your county has its share of idiots too. I've worked over there and dealt with some of them :)

Top Bottom