How much more will you pay to support a LGS that allows carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How much more will you pay for a shop that allows carry?

• Total voters

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Well, if you are telling people what the law is, you should probably be telling them the right thing. Especially if you are saying it as an LEO, people tend to expect us to know what we're talking about in that regard.
    If only more of the LEO's knew all the laws they try to enforce :D

Especially the ones concerning the carrying of firearms

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Personal experience

Well, if you are telling people what the law is, you should probably be telling them the right thing. Especially if you are saying it as an LEO, people tend to expect us to know what we're talking about in that regard.

It appears that you may be a LEO and I was speaking as both a LEO and from my personal experience from dealing with it with a family member.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    Like most people here, I'm irked at any restriction of my gun rights. But knowing how dumb members of the public can be I can fully understand gun store owners wanting to control who's armed and who isn't within their premises.

I respect the opinions of those that feel differently, but I don't have a problem leaving my gun locked in the car while I go in and check out a few guns.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    A gun store that doesn't allow guns is like a Strip club that doesn't allow men. Im kind of tired of seeing every one including people in this industry decide when/where/how/who has the right to protect them selves.

Do these shops really think bad guys are going to read the sign?

Sounds like a law that Obama would want to pass to me.

I was recently in my LGS when they lost power at night. It was pretty tense for a few seconds while the gun shop employees asked every one not to move. No one was sure who said it and why, but I felt much better knowing if it was a bad guy demanding no body move, he wouldn't be getting out of there. Enough like minded individuals had their EDC lights to light the place up until the power came back on a few minutes later.

No one drew their gun, no one panicked.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    A gun store that doesn't allow guns is like a Strip club that doesn't allow men. Im kind of tired of seeing every one including people in this industry decide when/where/how/who has the right to protect them selves.

Do these shops really think bad guys are going to read the sign?

Maybe I'm going to the wrong gun shops, but the ones I've been in are usually some of the last places I feel threatened by 'bad guys.'

The staff are usually all armed, many are LE or ex-LE, and generally adept with the weapons they carry. Yes, you shouldn't depend on anyone else to guarantee your safety. But come on, when is the last time anyone heard of criminals attacking an open gun shop? You're far more in danger from an idiot mishandling a weapon than being the victim of an attack.

I would separate the Cabela's of the world from an actual gun shop with this philosophy. Their salesman are no different than some kid at a Best Buy so there's no inherent protective force present and you ought to be able to carry to protect yourself when shopping there if you so choose.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Maybe I'm going to the wrong gun shops, but the ones I've been in are usually some of the last places I feel threatened by 'bad guys.'

The staff are usually all armed, many are LE or ex-LE, and generally adept with the weapons they carry. Yes, you shouldn't depend on anyone else to guarantee your safety. But come on, when is the last time anyone heard of criminals attacking an open gun shop? You're far more in danger from an idiot mishandling a weapon than being the victim of an attack.

I would separate the Cabela's of the world from an actual gun shop with this philosophy. Their salesman are no different than some kid at a Best Buy so there's no inherent protective force present and you ought to be able to carry to protect yourself when shopping there if you so choose.

Im sure a school is the last place most people feel threatened by bad guys too, oh and movie theaters, or college lecture halls, shall I go on?

You should be able to protect your self anywhere.

Not sure you get this whole 2A thing...

Edit: I just read in another thread about your idea to reduce straw purchases was to make it a FELONY to do a private transfer within 90 days of buying a gun. That is the most asinine thing I have read today.
    You must be a big fan of of big government or really like being told what you're allowed to do. This is America man. The home of the FREE. Not trying to get personal, but Damn man. You remind me of Feinstein!

Last edited:

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    Im sure a school is the last place most people feel threatened by bad guys too, oh and movie theaters, or college lecture halls, shall I go on?

You should be able to protect your self anywhere.

Not sure you get this whole 2A thing...

Schools, movie theaters, etc are mostly gun-free, inherent kill zones. Gun stores are pretty much exactly the opposite so that's an apples and oranges comparison.

And, as I said earlier, I respect the belief that you should be able to carry anywhere to protect yourself. And you can exercise that right by not patronizing an establishment that infringes on your right to do so.

It's just my opinion that not carrying for the 20 minutes out of your day that you're in your LGS is not a major infringement -- at least for me. I understand other can feel differently. If I'm in the LGS looking at a new rifle and the terrorists decide to attack, well I'm screwed. But I'm willing to risk those odds for those few minutes I'm not armed if the proprietor of my LGS has a no-carry policy. In other words, it's not enough of a big deal to make me avoid a shop that feels this way.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    Edit: I just read in another thread about your idea to reduce straw purchases was to make it a FELONY to do a private transfer within 90 days of buying a gun. That is the most asinine thing I have read today.
    You must be a big fan of of big government or really like being told what you're allowed to do. This is America man. The home of the FREE. Not trying to get personal, but Damn man. You remind me of Feinstein!

I guess you didn't read the part where I said I didn't endorse the idea but that if your goal was ending the process it might be effective -- just a theoretical argument not something I would be in favor of. If it was up to me there would be zero restrictions on buying guns. Period. As long as I'm armed I really don't care who else is.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    What would be the purpose of charging more to not have a sign?

I think the point is that (at least in the Indy area), the two busiest shops which tend to have the lowest prices also have "no loaded guns" signs. For whatever reason, the shops without such signs tend to charge higher prices.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It appears that you may be a LEO and I was speaking as both a LEO and from my personal experience from dealing with it with a family member.

I am a LEO, currently a detective in one of the major felony offices of IMPD.

I understand you were speaking as an LEO, you made it quite apparent, which is why I wanted you to see what the IC code actually says as what you are telling people is wrong. Pointing a loaded weapon is always a felony if its a crime at all (not self-defense, etc.) pointing an unloaded firearm is always a misdemeanor.

You'll also find that any enhancements for the victim being LEO don't apply when you aren't acting in an official capacity or are at least identified as an LEO and taking action as such. Battery, for example, is a felony if the victim is an LEO or first responder engaged in his official duties but if someone sucker punches you while you are working as a clerk, its not bumped up just because you are an LEO. Ditty "battery by bodily waste" which states "identified as such and while engaged in the performance of official duties," If someone spit on you for charging a high price you couldn't retroactively ID yourself and charge them with the felony. Now if you tried to stop a shoplifter, ID'd yourself and then they spit on you it would count. You are now identified and engaged in an official duty, making a felony arrest.

None of us knows all the laws, its impossible. I still have to fish out the IC codes from time to time for things I don't deal with routinely or for charging levels. However you should really try to be a 'legal eagle' if you plan to educate people about the laws and especially if you intend to enforce them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why would I visit/support a LGS that doesnt allow carry?

You aren't faced with that decision, I never saw a "no guns" sign at any gun store around Scott County or surrounding areas. Get up to Indianapolis or the like and it suddenly becomes more common.

Its why I tend to make the trip down to Austin or Jeffersonville to do business. I was in 256 yesterday fingering a Howa 1500 and debating if I want to wait for a Savage to come in or not...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have always carried in stores with a sign and even wen I would Open Carry I was never stopped or confronted. I think they just put the sign there for people who like to finger their weapons. Maybe there are shops out there who would ask someone to leave but I've never been to one and if I had I would never go back even if it was the only shop in 500 miles from me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom