How much do you pay for weekly allowance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    My girls are 9 & 10 and they will be expected to keep their room/bathroom, put away their laundry, and a small daily chore like emptying the dishwasher, sweeping, etc. What seems to be the market rate nowadays?

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Hummmm....... 3 hots and a cot.......

Yeah, I get that, but we also want them to start learning the principles of earning money, saving, etc...you know, stuff completely lost on people growing up with the idea of entitlements and never having to earn anything they want in life.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Hummmm....... 3 hots and a cot.......

This.

Yeah, I get that, but we also want them to start learning the principles of earning money, saving, etc...you know, stuff completely lost on people growing up with the idea of entitlements and never having to earn anything they want in life.

I was always expected to do certain chores and was never given an allowance. I was taught the value of money and taught to appreciate things without actually being given an allowance. My parents bought things I needed, and often things I wanted, and I always appreciated it and valued it.

Nothing wrong with an allowance, but I don't think it's necessary. :twocents:

FWIW, a lot of my friends in elementary school would get about $10-20/weekly...of course most of them didn't do anything for it...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    $4-$5/wk. I started giving my son an allowance when he turned 8, he has a set list of chores, he gets docked if something is left undone or is poorly done, etc.

I think its beneficial. He's learning to save up (he bought his own Kindle Fire, a pretty major purchase for someone his age, with money he'd saved through the year), he's learning there are financial consequences to being lazy or bad at one's job, etc.

Evermoore

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    As long as the work that is supposed to get done my daughter gets $20 every two weeks half of which she has to put into a saving. She is 11. I think its a good thing to help kids understand how money works.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We are going to start using the Dave Ramsey method. He considers it a commission instead of an allowance. He states that allowance is like welfare. He wants to teach kids that work equals income so when they do chores let them get paid for it. However some are chores that are expected just because they're members of the house. My son is five and he will probably get one dollar a week. He then has to give some to church, save some, and spend some.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I pay my kids (5 and 7) $0.25 per chore they do assuming they do it when I tell them to do it. If I have to tell 'em twice or more to get it done, I take away $0.50. At the end of the week I tally it up and they get paid. (Un)fortunately, they have yet to earn any money.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    When I was a kid my parents gave me 12$ every 2 weeks for doing a bunch of chores. If they wern't done right (and expectations were clearly laid out before work commenced) I got docked. If they were done really badly, I was even fined for it.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    We're doing a dollar a year (she's six) and it goes directly into savings, never in cash. I also get the three hots and a cot bunch, but this is helping her learn not only responsibility but consequences for her actions. It's working so far.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I'm confused by the $1/year thing...especially if they are never even seeing the money. Can someone elaborate?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I pay my 6 year old $1 per A+ on a test. C's or below get a deduction in funds and tv taken away until the misses info is learned and retained.
    chores are light for now but her reward is fun stuff and toys we buy her constantly.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We got 5 dollars a week if we did our chores and homework and got something better then a D on our tests in school.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I agree with the comments pointing that work and/or grades need to be part of the equation. I think the amount depends on what you expect them to do with the money. It always struck me as odd to teach kids that they could blow their allowance on candy and toys. We give our girls a larger than normal allowance, but they have to budget some of it for clothes, activities, and other things that we would pay for anyway. The idea is to show them what their lifestyle actually costs so they won't be surprised later in life.

Top Bottom