• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    If you miss the nail you are trying to hit with your hammer and hit the nail on your thumb, how long would it take to fall off?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    If there is blood pooling under the nail, take a small needle and heat it up with a lighter and release the pressure. be warned, the blood may spew out depending on how much is backed up under there. If you do this soon enough, you won't lose the nail...and it'll feel 100x better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxBTof6rkSw

This happened a couple of months ago. I did do the needle thing a few hours after the impact. Took some nerve (I don't do well with blood and guts), it worked, felt 1000 times better then it did minutes before.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    No guarantee it will fall off. The subungal hematoma will pull the nail off the nailbed and if it's beyond the magical threshold your nail may be toast.

Also, train, train, train. We all like to have weapons but don't take the time to train with them :D

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I had the slide of my 1911 slam shut with my index finger in the way before. I thought I was going to lose the nail, but the barrel hood just barely caught the back edge behind the cuticle. It bled and was sore for a few days, but eventually healed up.

As the nail grew out, there was a blood spot on my nail that eventually began to flake off. I dug the old blood out from the top and had a nice divot in there until it finally grew out. I think it ended up taking about 6 months for the divot to finally grow out to the point where I could clip it off.

Nacho Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Hamilton County
    It took awhile, probably a couple of months. Car door slammed on my thumb. I did cut a hole to let the blood out with a razor. Once the back of the nail started loosening up I started to tape it so it wouldn't snag on anything.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    6 to 8 months at least on a big toe nail. Thumb should be about the same.

The wrap it so it does not snag is good advise, Eventually it will snag and pull off anyway, Been there done that a coule of time. Always my right foot big toe.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I am currently in a similar situation. Only it is my left pinky and I was driving out a U-joint not hammering a nail. My nails grow pretty fast and it is already almost totally grown out. It cracked my nail almost entirely in half and I lost the front half pretty much imediately. It is growing a little funky now but it is pretty much healed. This happened about a month ago.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    IMG_0267_zps9da5daa2.jpg

The nail I was trying to hit is long gone and the hammer has been retired to it's own drawer in my tool box.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am currently in a similar situation. Only it is my left pinky and I was driving out a U-joint not hammering a nail. My nails grow pretty fast and it is already almost totally grown out. It cracked my nail almost entirely in half and I lost the front half pretty much imediately. It is growing a little funky now but it is pretty much healed. This happened about a month ago.
    I did the exact same thing hammering in a U joint last Saturday. I cut the nail clean in two. When I push down on the tip of the nail it tilts away from the part that’s intact which is a sure-fire way to get an eewwww from my wife and kids.

401844_129800230552124_307336770_n.jpg

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Sorry, can't remember how long it took mine to fall off. I slammed mine in a screen door. It was nasty. Yours looks like it will fall it though, mine turned completely black.

How do you miss with a hammer lol? My grandfather is both legally, and nearly completely blind, and he can hit a nail just fine with a hammer. Don't ask me how, he can't see the nail he says, but he knows where it is.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Took a couple months for mine to grow out enough to be cut back, was black and split across most of the way. It was a tilter like the guy has in the pther pic. The split initially at the very back of the visible nail. Ugly and problematic near the separation time, it snagged on a lot of stuff (tender underneath).

I had enough of it and clipped it off, with a fair amount of leakage(when it grew the split to past half way). Was not a pleasant micro surgery, but in a day or so McD's fries were no longer a danger.

Rolled a big chunk of steel on a couple fingers at work 2 days ago. Thought I was gonna lose another......not this time. Ive smashed the crap out of my fingers, done it more times than I'd like to admit, only lost one nail though. Finger makes a poor anti ringing device between some big chunks of aluminum.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Sorry, can't remember how long it took mine to fall off. I slammed mine in a screen door. It was nasty. Yours looks like it will fall it though, mine turned completely black.

How do you miss with a hammer lol? My grandfather is both legally, and nearly completely blind, and he can hit a nail just fine with a hammer. Don't ask me how, he can't see the nail he says, but he knows where it is.
    The hammer hit where I wanted it to I just didn’t have my ring finger tucked out of the way far enough when driving the bearing cap and the universal shot down and pinched it. I’m still not sure just where my fingernail was when it got “nailed”.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

Have you ever tried to drive out a U-joint with a hammer and punch? It aint like driving a nail. I would use a press but U-joints on ATVs and UTVs are to small to fit in my press.

Next time I catch the meat of the web of my hand between the punch and hammer I'll post a pic of that for all you blood and gut types on here.

Thats right I said next time because it WILL happen again I'm sure.

Top Bottom