How long can the police camp on your doorstep?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    So say the cops are knocking and I am ignoring, let's say I'm in the kitchen making a sammich while ignoring and they see me and keep yelling to open the door. I can just sit there and eat my sammich while they knock away?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I'd knock 3 times
    tumblr_liawszGVBq1qaun7ko1_500.gif

Penny...Penny...Penny.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I think that if somebody calls 911 and says there's a strange MWAG outside my house, and nobody answers the door when the police arrive, it would fall under exigent circumstances.

Exigent circumstances to ENTER the house? Because something is going on OUTSIDE the house?

Court of Appeals fodder, if it got past the trial court. If there was an ADA addle-pated enough to file on those facts, that is...

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If they are going to be there that long do you think they would be interested in picking up a few extra bucks? My yard need mowed.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Actually if one reads the opinion, the police also walked around the house and looked in windows (from areas the public is not invited to enter), called a tow truck to tow a vehicle although later told by a dep. pros. atty. not to do so (they called after the fact). Conducted a "protective sweep" and then tied the mess up with an "exigent circumstances" bow. All to get some juvenile charges of minor in possession.

The police only entered the house AFTER the tow truck arrived and one of the occupants opened the door. Mom was not at home, but the police entered without a warrant or consent.

The court of appeals wasn't buying what the officers and the State were selling, and the warrant exception just got a bit smaller.

It is interesting that Sen. Judge Shepard wrote the dissent. He also wrote the opinion on a recent K9 sniff case.

www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/04291401mgr.pdf

Last edited:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Exigent circumstances to ENTER the house? Because something is going on OUTSIDE the house?

Court of Appeals fodder, if it got past the trial court. If there was an ADA addle-pated enough to file on those facts, that is...

If a kid from 123 Anystreet calls the police and says that there are 3 men outside the house with guns and flashights, exigent circumstances would exist when the police arrive and do not find the 3 men with guns and nobody answers the door when they try to check on the caller.

Top Bottom