• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm not worried about zombies or the end of the world, but I do want to be prepared to survive as long as possible if the power and utilities are off.

Right now, I have an inventory list of everything on a spreadsheet. I will be putting all my food, water filtering, fire equip, and wool blankets in one large duffle bag. I keep the bag next to the gun case. More bags will be used as needed, but the idea is everything in one place where I can grab and go if need be.

So far I have enough stuff put aside for my wife, baby, dog and I to live at least a week without support if need be. It's a start, but not enough for where I want the supplies to be. I'd like to have at least a month supply for each of us and then start rotating, but that's going to take time.

I think I've got the very basics covered. I've got some food, a good water filter & extra filter on the way, a great first aid kit & some emergency medical care, and plenty of wool blankets and tarps to make a makeshift waterproof & insulated shelter if need be.

I'd like to get a couple of those "Shake Light" flashlights, but would like to read any reviews on them before buying them.

What else is on your list of gear & equipment that I didn't mention? How do you have your gear/supplies organized?

Hook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Romney
    I'm extremely anal about my gear. I've been prepping for a few years now.
    It sounds like you've got a good start on your preps, but don't forget to keep a Molle or Alice pack in your vehicle at all times also. The pack should include all the common sense items such as first-kit, a couple of MRE's, flashlight, spare batteries, extra socks, extra set of BDU's, compass, local maps, extra ammo for the gun that you should also stash in your vehicle.
    You just have to think of what you might need if you needed to make your way home the hard way.
    If you can, try to keep at least a month's supply of preps at home. Bugging out might not be an option.
    This whole prepping thing can almost become a lifestyle. To some people it is. If your gonna do it, stay focused and pay attention to what you buy and always plan for the long haul.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    Besides gear I carry to get me home, everything is in totes inside the house. That is where it will stay, beacuse I plan on stying and not leaving.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Mine wasn't all too organized. But I'm working on cleaning house right now so it will be more organized now. I don't plan on leaving, but most of the important stuff is together already and ready to grab.

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    I use the Train Wreck method of storing my stuff. Odds are any pile will have something useful. High stakes treasure hunt.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Man, reading this post makes me feel better.

I started out having all my food storage properly labeled and dated...but I've gotten lazy and when I vacuum seal and store stuff, it goes into a tote that I "ROUGHLY" know is the latest stuff stored, and last that need rotating.

I've got ammo squirreled away all over the house, and firearms similarly hidden in different rooms. In case of a home invasion, I would be no more than 5 or 6 feet away from one weapon or another. It is not the best set up if I needed to pack a truck and bug out...but I think home invasion is more likely than bug out anyways. God forbid I die and my wife has to find all this crap. She'll end up selling the house and the new guy will find my caches, lol. Sure, sure, I could TELL her where all this stuff is hidden, but that would mean admitting to her that I kept buying guns when I vaguely agreed to her making me promise "No more guns!"

I had a "get home bag" stolen out of my Jeep fairly recently. I was on the fence as to whether or not to keep a firearm and ammo in the bag...thankfully I had not chosen to do so. All they got was some clothes, food and basic first aid and camping stuff. Still cheeses me off though.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Do like I did , go to Menard's and get a $35 shelf , pick a closet or wherever and mount it to the wall .

Each shelf holds 125 lbs I think , a few plastic tubs doesn't hurt either . I don't have a light in this closet so I mounted a few LED lights in there .

Bottled water and filter on one side and propane lantern and tanks on the other . It's not as fancy as some but it's a good start .

I could get by for at least a month with what I have . Having experienced a recent power outage has made me a believer in being organized .

x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    2 35 gallon lockable foot lockers on wheels. One for Food and one for Camping/survival gear. They fit perfect side by side in my trunk if I ever had to bug out. I have a store of canned goods in a pantry that I keep rotated. I keep a small duffel bag in the car for emergeny situations like others have suggested.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'd like to get a couple of those "Shake Light" flashlights
    I bought one about 5 years ago for the hubster at a kiosk in Glennbrook during Christmas...wish I would have snagged a few more because now I can't find anymore like it, and I love that thing! It's not devastatingly bright, but it gets the job done in the dark! And NO fumbling with batteries because they went dead! It's awesome.
    So far I have enough stuff put aside for my wife
    I've got a back pack for each of us by my gun cabinet, too. I put nearly the same things in each...and made sure I put them in the SAME POCKETS of each... so if one of us needs to grab something for the other, we'll know right where it is.
    As for your wife, make sure you've stuck some girly necessities in that bag. She'll thank you if they're needed.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My gear is organized in layers. I have my primary BOB, always loaded and ready to go, same with fighting rifle and ammo in a chest rig. Both vehicles have a secondary BoB in each, plus car survival and roadside assistance stuff. I have a primary large Plano box with high end medical supplies and equipment. My gun room has all my body armor racked, mags loaded, comms/NVG inspected, etc-always reloaded, cleaned up, repaired and ready to go 24/7.

Okay,thats the 1st line. I have a metric sh!t ton of gear on shelves in my man room, holding packs, webgear, clothing, boxes of survival gear, 3 tubs of medical supplies, lights, camping gear, cooking stuff, sleeping bags and tents and so on.

My survival pantry is kept inside a large floor to ceiling cabinet with shelves. Inventory records are kept, everything is marked and rotated according to FIFO. Next to that are 2 cases of MRES, a bunch of 5 gallon buckets of grain and rice, and lots and lots of water.

In the garage are the rotated fuel cans, propane cylinders, auto parts, razor wire and empty sandbags. Behind the garage is a cord of wood cut and stacked. Also FIFO.

I have been at this for nearly 20 years. I'm pretty organized. I have go be. I use my gear a lot and train pretty often, year round, in a lot of different environments, so my gear is constantly being used and issued out. Sometimes I may have 3 different gigs in a week that I need to swap gear out on. I HAVE to be organized for that type of OP Tempo.

Top Bottom