• ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    How important is it to have a truck?

They're nice to have when you need to haul something sometimes.

But how important is it for everyday use?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I wouldnt get back and forth to work without mine :)

Wife has an Explorer, I have the truck. We can't afford three vehicles and I use my truck for too many things to be without one.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Having a farm you can't NOT have one.

I have 2 trucks plus a car and I use each for different purposes and while I could get along with just one truck and no car, I couldn't have a car and no truck. The car makes it much cheaper for us to travel and for my non-truck needs. I use each vehicle when appropriate and don't just drive the truck when the car will work and I put pretty even mileage on all three vehicles each year. Most people I see who own only a truck rarely use it as a truck. You can tell because the bed/liner is unscratched and the tailgate looks perfect.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    Well considering construction is my profession right now, pretty important. I drive it when I need to such as pulling a trailer, hauling equipment or materials. I love driving a truck, but I hate buying gas and diesel.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    If it wasnt for pickups, we wouldnt have tailgates......

You could set my truck on fire, roll it down a hill and I still wouldnt trade it for a coupe deville......

I got an 8 ft bed that never has to be made....

P Cup Man! :dunno:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've wanted to own a truck for the past 10 years, but I have no REAL reason to justify owning one (farmer, contractor, etc). I do have the occasional large object to haul around for work, but that is maybe once-twice a month. That rarity doesn't make up for increased cost of gas and insurance to own a pickup.

The last vehicle I bought was a compromise (09 Vibe). It has enough cargo room to rival that of a Ranger/S-10, gets 35+ mpg, and is FWD so snow is generally not a problem. Works for me. It was also cheaper than a pickup of comparable year/mileage and it cheaper to maintain and insure.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If you have a vehicle capable of pulling a trailer, it is a great alternative to having a truck you seldom use. A trailer can sit for long peorids of time with no maintence costs.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I have a Ridgeline, mainly because my company said I needed to have a truck/SUV big enough to carry customers around in. It really hurts at the gas pump sometimes. It's nice to have when I need it, but I would rather invest the additional $20-$30 per tank filling up my truck vs. a car on my kids' education (or bullets).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have always had access to a truck of some sort so until that went away I did not realize how much I needed one. I now have 2. If you have it, you will use it.

powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    My 2 cents is it's kinda like 4WD it's nice to have the 1% of the time you need it.

+1

I've got a four wheel drive diesel (hence the screen name) and rarely does it get used like a truck. The times I do need four wheel drive...I could have just used a car and NOT gone off road! I tend to get into sticky situations just because I have the capability of getting out of them. Driving wise I mean, not all of life's problems LOL.

My first vehicle was a truck, and it's just more my style. :rockwoot:

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state

I have 2 trucks plus a car and I use each for different purposes and while I could get along with just one truck and no car, I couldn't have a car and no truck. The car makes it much cheaper for us to travel and for my non-truck needs. I use each vehicle when appropriate and don't just drive the truck when the car will work and I put pretty even mileage on all three vehicles each year. Most people I see who own only a truck rarely use it as a truck. You can tell because the bed/liner is unscratched and the tailgate looks perfect.

I can't imagine not having a truck. I have a truck that rarely gets driven, Maybe 2000 miles a year and its a GMC 2500 for all my towing and hauling needs. It has got some rust, It definitely has some dings. Hell it even has a light bar, and CB. :D
    It kills me people crying about a scratch or a dent in their truck.. when i see a guy bragging about his truck and how perfect it looks. I look at him and say.. is it brand new? He says nope had her for 2 years. I look in the bed.. and say well i don't see a scratch anywhere.. It must be broken or in the shop alot!

If it wasnt for pickups, we wouldnt have tailgates......

You could set my truck on fire, roll it down a hill and I still wouldnt trade it for a coupe deville......

I got an 8 ft bed that never has to be made....

P Cup Man! :dunno:

whats wrong with a deville and a truck :-)

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    How important is it to have a truck?

They're nice to have when you need to haul something sometimes.

But how important is it for everyday use?

IF you have a continuous NEED for a truck - work required, hauling a trailer, etc - it is my opinion that you cannot live without one. If you do NOT have a continuous need for one, it is far better to rent one for the times you need a truck.

I own an F250 Super Duty V10. I won't get rid of it, we haul the travel trailer with it, but at ~$4/gal of gas I don't drive it around town much anymore.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

^ This :yesway:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I can't live without my truck, I have many rental homes, I have to buy building supply, carry plants, ATV, party supply, plus my big F-250 diesel protect my butt in case of an accidents

Last edited:

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I have a Full Size Silverado with the 5.3 ( average $400 a month on gas ). It's my commuter // trailer ( ATV's ) hauler too.

I've only used the 4x4 once but it is so nice to have when you need it. Not to mention, I just feel SAFE driving it - vs a small commuter car. I live frugally otherwise but I can always justify the cost at the fuel pump.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Awesome for hauling or towing. Not having to pay a delivery fee (but having to figure out how to get what ever you just got loaded on off the truck now).
    I don't have 4 wheel drive on mine, I have never had 4wd and not sure it would of helped any time I may of needed it.
    Tail gate makes a good temp. work bench.

Downsides: if you haul your new appliance home you get to unload it. People will ask to borrow it and ask you for help to load or unload it.
    Gas prices possibly could make it expensive (mine gets maybe around 11 mpg)

I love my truck, love it even more now that I don't drive it every day but it is very nice having the option.

Top Bottom