• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I like the 500 to 1000 range. Like Jetgirl's idea of letting it get real dirty too. I let my 92FS go the whole 1000 without cleaning and no FTF or FTE.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    He's talking about Glocks, therefore, your comment holds no weight. :draw:

FIFY

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I have 22 of them and every one has worked perfect right out of the box.

That's good. And definitely par for the course with Glock. (As well as many other reputable makes/models)

Just do a little Googling of Glock Gen 4 issues. LOTS of pistols have been having LOTS of problems due to a just-not-quite-right recoil spring.

-J-

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I really depends, I have no special number of rounds I have to put through a gun to break it in.
    It's usually 200 rounds of FMJ, then if all goes well I will try a box of 25 rounds of hollow point ammo.
    I agree that 1k is too much to see if the gun is working right.
    Im not saying that it's bad to do so, heck I would love to shoot 1k of ammo anytime I go to the range.
    But if the gun doesnt jam after 100, 200 or even 300 rounds it's probably not going to jam after that.
    That's why I say it's too much, not that you can ever shoot too much or get too much trigger time with your carry time.
    I would say that 1k is more training than just simple fonction check for the gun.
    Of course if I keep getting problems after I reached my 200 first rounds I will keep shooting more and try to fix the gun before I can trust is as a carry/home defense gun.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I agree that 1k is too much to see if the gun is working right.

if the gun doesnt jam after 100, 200 or even 300 rounds it's probably not going to jam after that.

I would say that 1k is more training than just simple fonction check

Whoever said I was testing it for FUNCTION *only* that long?
    I think you misunderstood some of that.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    my m&p saw about 2k rounds before i got my ltch. when i picked up the bg .380 bug, it saw about 300 rounds before it saw my pocket. i still shoot both at least weekly, about 50 through the bug (after that it starts to hurt the hand a little bit) and about 100 through the edc. i am 100% confident that if i pull either one out of the holster, it will go bang when i pull the trigger until all mags i have on my person are empty.

i also like the idea of 1k rounds, after that, you should be 100% comfortable and proficient with said firearm for edc.

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Just buy Glocks---perfection right out of the box.:D
    +1.:D I've had enough Glocks and the ONLY malfunction happened when I put a 2 round mag extender on a 15 round mag for a G22. It failed to feed and the spring wouldn't even hold the slide back when empty. I pulled the extender off and it's fine again. However I still like to put at least 100 rounds of factory hard ball and then about 25 rounds of the good carry stuff through them.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Whoever said I was testing it for FUNCTION *only* that long?
    I think you misunderstood some of that.

My bad Ma'am! :)
    And my bad for the non-english spelling as well.
    If it was for function testing only you could have your trained monkey do the shooting for you that way you can be busy else where. :):
    That's a good thing that you shoot that much, both for testing and training.
    I see many people who use a never (or every little) fired gun for home defense. :n00b:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    G19! :rockwoot:

Did you shoot just two shots, one FMJ and one JHP before you started carrying your Glock? :):

The FMJ was fired at the factory, so I didn't bother wasting an extra round.

It's crazy how the G19 fits in almost anyone's hand comfortably.

From the tip of my thumb to the tip of my pinky is 11 inches and my fist is 14.5 inches around...Yet I know people literally half my size that say the G19 is the best fit for their hands as well.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I put 250 rounds through my M&P when I first got it. I feel comfortable carrying it. As far as EDC ammo, I might put 1 mag through it. I can't afford to spend $125 to shoot 100 rounds of carry ammo.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think it's very interesting that the timer brings out the malfunctions. Often even the well tested and the Glocks.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    ...With your gun before you trust it for carry?

My personal "reliability break in" is 1k rounds without a gun-related hitch.
    500 with intermittent cleaning, and 500 just as dirty as sin. If it goes bang every time, it's a carry option.

I'm asking the question because something never ceases to boggle me...
    I meet people all the time who either carry a gun they've never even shot, or a gun that's been shot very little...and maybe a lonnng time ago.
    Trusting their life to a "gee, I HOPE so..." Know what I mean?

Anyhow...what's your method of determining carry piece reliability?

Seeing ads that say: "Less than 100rds through it, some holster wear" make me cringe too.

I put a couple hundred rounds through the XD before I carried it, but it was used, so do the other owners rounds count? :dunno:

:D

Oh, and to date, I have had ZERO malfs, dirty, clean, factory reloads, JHP, limp wristing, weak hand, etc etc. I feel very confident in carrying it.

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I get as familiar as possible with it.
    I will field strip it a few times, give it a good cleaning, inspect everything, and get to know everything about it. I will not carry a gun until I have personally put at least 200 rounds through it and several rounds of the defensive ammo I plan to carry in it.

I too am amazed at how many people I encounter that carry guns that they have yet to fire. :n00b:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    My 1911 has an issue with not seating the mag high enough. Awaiting the EGW high(er) mag catch and going to install it.

The gun is on me. It's a 1911. Carried condition 1.

I know the issue, it only has an issue loading the first round, and after that feeding is 100% going on 250 rounds mixed FMJ/JHP. I haven't put it through too much of a torture test...I hate seeing the carbon all over it. The way I see it, I know whats wrong with it, and I don't foresee an issue with it, I will hold the mag at the "magwell" to help it get the extra height to load a full mag.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My 1911 has an issue with not seating the mag high enough. Awaiting the EGW high(er) mag catch and going to install it.

The gun is on me. It's a 1911. Carried condition 1.

I know the issue, it only has an issue loading the first round, and after that feeding is 100% going on 250 rounds mixed FMJ/JHP. I haven't put it through too much of a torture test...I hate seeing the carbon all over it. The way I see it, I know whats wrong with it, and I don't foresee an issue with it, I will hold the mag at the "magwell" to help it get the extra height to load a full mag.

What if the SHTF and you've got to reload?

Think that during an insanely massive adrenaline dump / tunnel vision / fight or flight / etc that you'd have presence of mind to take the extra steps?

For me...I wouldn't.

To the vein of the thread: I cannot afford to burn a whole case of practice ammo (I don't yet reload). I also cannot afford the range time in order to burn a whole case of ammo.

For my first carry gun, a KelTec P11, I admit that I was rather ignorant of things firearms-related. I didn't test it like I now know I should have. However...I still didn't ever have any issues with it, despite having purchased it used.

2nd carry gun: Kahr CW-40. This time, I made sure to follow the manufacturers break-in recommendation. Zero issues during that and I considered it "good enough". Even semi-regular target practice with that gun, never had any failures until after it came back from the factory for a frame issue (frame issue didn't even cause failures)

3rd carry gun: S&W 642. It's a simple little revolver. I made sure it worked and that I could hit what I aimed at. Just a few cylinders worth and I called it good. There's probably still not even close to being 500 rounds through this gun...no failures.

4th carry gun: S&W M&P9c. I do admit to carrying this one before having done an in-depth testing. But in a few hundred rounds shot before I holstered it up...no issues. And in roughly 1500 rounds through it, still zero issues.

Potential 5th carry gun: S&W M&P9fs. Haven't put it through enough paces yet. Last I shot it, I noticed that the slide would release upon forcefully seating a loaded magazine. Not sure I want a pistol that does this on it's own or not.

-J-

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    I put about 500 fmj thru my 1911 & another 150 or so of jhp. Did a couple rapid fires with both. Now it's on my hip everyday. Guess it really depends on what gun you want to carry.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom