• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I see people lost in mall parking lots all the time. How is it surprising they could get lost in a 40 acre woods...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My wife and her family got lost in Brown county once. Well, KINDA lost. They started hiking a trail in the park but forgot to check the map and assumed it looped around inside the park. They unknowingly were on that monster trail that heads off into Yellowwood state forest. They just kept following the trail assuming they would loop back to where they came from or would find another trail to follow.

Fast forward several hours and they found that convenience store just off 46 that you pass as you head north into the woods and realized they "werent in kansas any more". Luckilly there was a deputy there that gave them a lift back to the park.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have been involved in SAR for most of my life and I have gone on numerous mission here in southern Indiana for people who are lost. Some of them were just stupid, and some of them were genuinely lost. I have no opinion on the folks in the OP as we weren't on that mission, but it is not out of the realm of possibility around here. There's a reason Leadeye refers to where he lives as "back in the dark and creepy."

There are PLENTY of places down here where you can walk for a couple of days and not come across a road. Yeah, you aren't doing it in a straight line, but lost people are rarely walking in a straight line even when they think they are. There's also a difference between walking on a trail and making 2.5-3mph and walking through brush and maybe making a mile an hour. The Deam Wilderness is a BIG area and the terrain is extremely rugged, even by my standards.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    Yep, the knobs are probably the most rugged terrain in Indiana. It's still pretty easy to get out if you are lost and at wits end, start heading downhill and follow the water. Walking in a straight line is easier said than done without a compass, and I don't usually carry one with me if I'm planning to hike trails. A map is nice though.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This is funny. That was my friend from high school. She said they were not lost at all. and that everything the media is saying is all over-dramatized and none of it is true at all. They aren't even hikers.
    So what's the story and why was this made into "news"?

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    So what's the story and why was this made into "news"?

They were literately just two friends walking through the woods. She didn't say much about it, but from what it sounds like, someone (parent maybe?) reported they were missing and they were supposed to be at Deam lake. She said the story the news posted was over-dramatic and they published the story. Must've been a slow day for the news station.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    They were literately just two friends walking through the woods. She didn't say much about it, but from what it sounds like, someone (parent maybe?) reported they were missing and they were supposed to be at Deam lake. She said the story the news posted was over-dramatic and they published the story. Must've been a slow day for the news station.
    That's awesome. lol

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Most people use an iPhone or another smartphones. You could use google map or compass in the phone to find your way out of a small area I guess.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Most people use an iPhone or another smartphones. You could use google map or compass in the phone to find your way out of a small area I guess.

That will get you into trouble quick. if you lose cell towers that have REAL data service, poof! Your maps are gone. (VERY common in backwoods areas) GPS does no good when it shows you navigating over a blank background with no map data. Trust me, I know. While it wasnt hiking, Ive used them driving and ended up in a dead spot of cell coverage and next thing I know I'm driving off the edge of the world! LOL

There ARE onboard maps you can buy from Garmin and others that work like a traditional GPS by storing all the map data on the phone, but they are expensive and typically not what people are using.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I've never been lost in a woods but I was a trifle confused for several hours in some bottom ground once. Flat and it all looks alike..

True that if you walk in a straight line you'll hit a road but the trick is walking in a straight line if you have no sun to guide you.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Out here in the southern woods you can get lost pretty easy without good land navigation skills. You can't see very far in the summer.:)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've made my way through jungles and rain forests for days without getting lost BUT...I got turned around in a damned subdivision and it took me 45 minutes to get out of it. Every house and yard looked identical. Geez and Rice I was mad.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Got lost in a cornfield as a kid, I can see it happening in large woods on a cloudy day easily

A co-worker of mine was lost in a big cornfield and came upon the tire track from a center-pivot spray irrigation thing. She followed the track all the way around until she came upon her own tracks and realized what she'd done.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Got lost in the woods at night once in Missouri. Was scouting an area in Mark Twain national forest for deer hunting. I was confident I knew where I was at. It started getting dark and I started to head back to the truck. I was wrong. I tried not to get upset, but its not a good feeling being lost in the woods at night. I walked for over an hour and realized I had walked in a huge circle, was right back where I started. So I just sat down and occasionally I would hear a vehicle off in the distance. I just started walking toward the sound of the road. When I finally made it to the road I was only about a mile from my truck. But it was after 10pm. That was no fun.

Top Bottom