• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Rep. Jim Lucas officially filed a bill that would prohibit state funded post-secondary institutions from banning the right-to-carry on campus. As it is, colleges can ban the carrying of firearms with severe consequences for those who get caught. Although no legal pentagons can be applied, the student can still be expelled and if they are for a firearm offense, then they end up facing great difficulty getting accepted into another college. This new law would prevent all of that. Great news for college students!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...Although no legal pentagons can be applied, the student can still be expelled ...

Negatively impacts employees as well. This bill would positively impact at least 250,000 people in Indiana (students, faculty, and staff).

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    The idea that they operate with public funds and then want to exempt themselves from the same standards/regulations as other public institutions is just arrogant. Hope this passes

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Just in case your not sure how to word a request to your Indiana Legislator, you can use something like this:

Dear Rep. <insert your representative's name here>,

I am contacting you asking your support for Rep. Lucas' HR1143 which would prevent Indiana's public colleges and universities from prohibiting the legal and lawful carrying of firearms on their campuses.

I am categorically against any law or policy that prevents lawful citizens from exercising their constitutionally protected right to defend themselves. I am also opposed to laws that restrict lawful citizens yet do nothing to prevent criminals and their activities. It should come as no surprise to you that criminals are criminals due to the fact that they do not obey the law.

Most troubling for me is that similar policies elsewhere have literally turned college campuses into "killing fields" because those wishing to harm others know their intended victims will be defenseless.

I understand that HR1143 has been referred to the Public Policy Committee chaired by Rep. Dermody. I am asking you to urge Rep. Dermody to give this legislation a hearing and bring it before the Indiana House as soon as possible.

I also urge you to support this legislation should it come up for a vote.

Sincerely,

<insert your name here>

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Negatively impacts employees as well. This bill would positively impact at least 250,000 people in Indiana (students, faculty, and staff).
    You're right! Like I said, this needs to pass. The colleges and universities will never let us carry unless the state makes them.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Now would be fine!

Open letter to those with no nexus to a college or university: This is important to those of us who are not students or employees/contractors of a college or university here in Indiana. The enemy cannot be allowed a safe haven. The enemy cannot be allowed to draw lines and say "well, this magic circle is off limits". Make every single square foot of this state a carry zone and the right to bear arms will be in common use and better protected. Their fight is our fight.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Now would be fine!

Open letter to those with no nexus to a college or university: This is important to those of us who are not students or employees/contractors of a college or university here in Indiana. The enemy cannot be allowed a safe haven. The enemy cannot be allowed to draw lines and say "well, this magic circle is off limits". Make every single square foot of this state a carry zone and the right to bear arms will be in common use and better protected. Their fight is our fight.
    Who should we write and call?

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    So would this mean that I could at least have my weapon in my truck as an IU employee?

This would mean you could open carry in the commons. Heck you can do that now and not be in any legal trouble until they ask you to leave and you don't. This would make it so they can't even ask.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Don't just write your rep.

Write to the Committee Members - with facts supporting why. polite letters. Especially Dermody.
    He's new to the firearms debate, but did very well learning w/ Mr. Lucas on the committee to help him.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Don't just write your rep.

Write to the Committee Members - with facts supporting why. polite letters. Especially Dermody.
    He's new to the firearms debate, but did very well learning w/ Mr. Lucas on the committee to help him.
    So write Dermody to bring it to a vote?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Welp...no need to write/call my rep. He's a freaking Co-Author!
    Write anyway, and let him know you appreciate his action and fully support it.

As Kirk noted, now is the time to take action, calls and physical letters.

Oh, and as a 'side benefit', passing this bill is a good ol' 'poke in the nose' to Bloomberg, Watts, and the other anti-gun loons. :yesway:

Top Bottom