• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I used the Winchester Power Point .308 ammo this year and took two doe. Both were complete pass through shots with one at 50 yards and the second at 125 ish. First shot was a double lung with a nickel sized exit wound. Second was more back toward the back lung/front of liver area with the same sized exit. One only went 50 yards and the second maybe 75 yards.

I have started reading more about the newer technologies in rifle ammo and see the bullets like Barnes Vor-TX, Federal Powershock, Deer Season XP, SuperPerformance etc...

These rounds can get pretty pricey. I started reading reviews about the Hornday American whitetail ammo and the interlock bullet. It appears that the accuracy of this ammo is very very good and the knock down power seems to be better than the older power point and Core-Lokt ammo.

Anyone have any experience with these Hornady American Whitetail bullets? If so, would like to hear some real life hunting scenarios.

armyvet209

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    LAKE COUNTY
    i took a doe with the american whitetail ammunition in .308 this year. shot was right at 100 yds and right on the front shoulder. exit wound was about the size of a half dollar and she dropped like a rock. very happy with the performance both on the range and in the woods, suites my purposes just fine and it isn't terribly expensive. i'll be sticking with it.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    i took a doe with the american whitetail ammunition in .308 this year. shot was right at 100 yds and right on the front shoulder. exit wound was about the size of a half dollar and she dropped like a rock. very happy with the performance both on the range and in the woods, suites my purposes just fine and it isn't terribly expensive. i'll be sticking with it.

Thats right on par with the feedback from the web regarding exit wound size. Thanks for the input. I am excited to try it out.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    I've been using the 150 grain version. Haven't had the chance to take a deer with it yet so I can't speak as to the terminal performance but for out of the box factory ammo I'm consistently getting 1 inch or better groupings at 100 yards when I'm doing my part. Most accurate hunting round I've shot.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've been using Interlocks for my .358. Not quite the same thing but they have worked flawlessly from 15 yards to 150 yards. They also shoot 0.5moa from my custom barrel. They hold together too. I purposely put one through the shoulder of a buck I didn't want to move from the spot he was standing on. After passing though the shoulder and bone it left a quarter size entry and exit wound and nothing but red jello left in the chest cavity.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I loaded 100 gr Interlocks for my 243 I bought this year. I was getting less than 1" groups at 100 yds. I haven't been able to get a shot with it yet. Hoping to during the late doe season. My nephew came over and loaded some for his rifle, using my load recipe. He cloverleafed 3 shots at 70 yds. His brother shot a deer with those bullets and they seemed happy with the results.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I think what has me excited about them is the multiple times I have read the exit wounds are the size of a silver dollar, including from the INGO member above. My Winchester powerpoints only produced a nickel sized exit wound and the deer ran 50 yards. I am a firm believer in killing the animal as quick as possible. I want the least amount of adrenaline running through the meat as well as I don't want the animal to suffer at all if I can knock the lights out immediately.

Sounds like this round has a fair amount of expansion and energy release compared to the powerpoint and core-lokt while being around the same price.

ford tech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    I shot 3 deer with Remington core lock 150 grain .308 1 was at 80 yards dropped in her tracks, buck was 170 yards shot top of heart and ran 10 feet. had quarter size exit hole. Very happy with the 308 did not damage much meat either.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I load those bullets in my 8.5" .300BLK pistol and have been pleased with the accuracy.

Have also shot a box out of my Rem 700 .308 and it was also very accurate. No hunting experience however.

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I have had excellent results on deer and elk with the Interlocks. I load my own ammo so I cannot speak to the effectiveness of the factory ammo that you have asked about.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I used 150gr AW on my buck and was very pleased. Uphill quartering away and the bullet exited the offside shoulder. Good accuracy out of my GSR.

Top Bottom