• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I was given some cast 45 ACP bullets that need lubed. I thought about making homemade lube and have seen numerous recipes. It seems an ingredient that comes up often is STP gas treatment, like using a couple of tablespoons to the mix. Is this ok to use? How about using something like good ol Hoppers #9 instead? Just looking for some input......

sca1985

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    This comes down to preferences and price. Maybe try a few different lubes and see which one you like to work with. STP gas treatment has made some interesting claims in the past. I couldn't tell if they were actually true, but it might be worth trying:

Bullet lube ingredients, uses, sources, descriptions, recipes and more
    "Aside from the charges of false advertising one of the "claims" made by STP is that it leaves a "thicker" film of oil between moving metal parts, if true this "could" make it useful in bullet lube formulas in helping to seal bore imperfections and reduce gas blow by."

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I don't make my own but I have asked about this a couple times lately and Bee's Wax is definitely something you are gonna want to get ahold of it seems.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'll have to look for my recipe, we used- bees wax, vasoline, paraffin. That might be it. We played with the mixture until we got the consistency we liked. We did not add any STP or anything like that, I've heard of using it and lanolin also.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Anymore I use a mixture that I came across on the castboolit site for all my cast. It consists of 45% liquid alox, 45% Johnsons paste wax, and 10% mineral spirits.

This dries without the tackiness of pure alox. I use it on loads from 38 spcl. plinking loads to full power 357 maximum loads.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I've had good luck w/Johnsons paste wax-warm the bullefs in the sun or low heat oven,put them in a cut off milk jug w/a tablespoon of JPW,swirl 'em around. Wax melts,coats everything. Put 'em on a flat surface w/wax paper covering to dry for a day or 2. Probably not best for hi-speed/hi-pressure loads,but good for std. pistol rounds.

Top Bottom