• ...and so much more!
  • derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I keep 200 rounds of defensive ammo for my EDC and 100 rounds for my S&W Airweight that I carry sometimes. I've switched brands of JHP a couple times (went from Golden Sabers to Federal HST and finally landed on Speer Gold Dots) so I haven't had a chance to work on building up a pile. I usually shoot a mag or two once every couple months and buy a couple new boxes months to try and keep a decent supply.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    It depends on the use of the firearm, but here are the rules I live by:

Practice Rounds:
    EDC/SHTF firearm(s) = 1000 minimum at all times
    Plinkers = 500 minimum at all times
    Shotguns = 200 minimum at all times

Self-Defense Rounds:
    EDC/SHTF firearm(s) = minimum 3 magazines worth
    Plinkers = N/A
    Shotguns = minimum 3 tubes worth

Last edited:

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I generally only keep a couple hundred rounds of the defense loads for each caliber I own. I keep all mags full for anything I would grab in a given situation. Every thing available for a quick emergency is also loaded at all times (those in the bedside safe for my wife or myself). My carry is also loaded, obviously. As for practice rounds, absolute minimum for each caliber is 1000rds, but I have enough to feel comfortable. It's not all just stacked up beside the door ready to bug out, but it is handy given the planning that has been done for a SHTF.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I keep a full combat load for my M4, for those that don't know, that's around 300 rds in mags, ive got about the same for my ak and 8 in the tube of my 12ga plus 6 in the holder and 55 in the ammo belt plus 5 mags for my pistol

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    I keep about 800 rds of FMJ .45 for my G30 and about 250 rds JHP of various brands. I've looked into buying Speer Gold Dot by the case, but have decided for the moment that it's more important to save up money for an AR.

I keep an M&P 9mm on the nightstand with a Streamlight TLR-1 on it, and recently I have been keeping it loaded with Federal HST 147gr. I've run a mag or two of the HSTs through without any problems, but every once in awhile, when I'm chambering the first round of a fresh mag the nose catches on the feed ramp.

Anyone else have this problem with HSTs in an M&P?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    for actual home defense, i have my glock23 in my nightstand with 1 mag of JHPs. my Colt AR is ready to go for SHTF.

in terms of all ammo, I always try to have several hundred rounds of each caliber. I normally buy a box or two if I'm in Walmart or if something is on sale. For example, Gander Mountain had .223 on sale, so I bought 400. I might go back and buy a few hundred more because my lil pony is always hungry. ;)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom