• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Who's got what? Switched recently? They say you should check every 3 years. I'm over due. Car just went up $9 a month. Irritating. Save me some money...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have Allstate for both. I have had 1 home claim and a couple of auto claims over the years. I have never had a problem with them. My auto insurance keeps going down as my older son is now on his own and my older daughter is over 21. 'Course, I have another daughter and son about ready to get licenses, so that's about to end.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have an independent agent. Highly recommend having an independent quote you with several companies. Then rinse and repeat on a regular basis if you go with the independent. Also, if you try one independent and they don't seem like a fit, try another. I have had an independent agent for a few decades now. A couple of years ago, I had a different independent agency quote my business and changed over to their agency due to that (stayed with the same insurance company I had at the time, but moved agencies. At other times, I've changed insurance companies but stayed with my independent agent.)

The new independent was much more responsive, and also brought me some benefits from the same insurance company I was with, that my previous had not. Not long after that, my previous independent sent out a letter that they were merging with another agency out of town. I was happy I had already moved my business.

Bottom line, independents are nice because you have flexibility and easy portability either between independent agencies or between the backend insurance companies. They won't have access to every company as some don't work with independents, but they have access to several.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Who's got what? Switched recently? They say you should check every 3 years. I'm over due. Car just went up $9 a month. Irritating. Save me some money...
    I heard there were some good deals on some Saturday night specials for EDC out there

Why does everyone focus only on price in insurance? Do they pay out easily and fairly when you have a claim? How about when you have a major to the limits claim? Are they strong financially? Are they easy to do business with?

Insurance companies are not commodities, they are all different, research to figure out which one meets your needs.

Then look at the limits they are offering to cover for what you are paying them. Be certain you are comparing apples to apples.

If you own a home you should be comparing auto home packages not individual policies.

A big difference in price among quality companies can be age based discounts, the packages I compared came down to two great companies but the kicker was $300 discount by one for being above a certain age.

Geico and progressive are what was called back in the day "high risk" insurance, isn't it amazing that big money marketing can make the insurance we all dreaded as teens cool. (If you never got cancelled when you were young you didn't have as much fun.). They are very well suited to high risk like motorcycle, RV, and small boat.

The big TV brands try to bring you in when you are clean and once you get claims raise the rates when you cannot easily get coverage from others. About half of all consumers are on their merry-go-round. I very rarely see any of the insurance companies I evaluated on TV, the TV brands spend billions, I would rather be with a company sold on its merits not catchy jingles and celebrities, that uses its money to pay claims.

And one huge nit I like to pick on the big TV brands is calling their employee an insurance agent! What a conflict of interest. Their agents are called captive agents and can ONLY sell their employers products. Please explain to me how an employee that gets their instructions and marching orders from the company that pays them can meet the state mandated fiduciary responsibility to the client?

Independent agents are the way to go, let them help you evaluate your needs, compare companies, and coverages. Then when you have a claim the independent agent represents you, not the company.

Disclaimer: I am not in insurance in any way.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Allstate here. Switched from State farm, they came in about 1/2 price.
    Had 2 claims on homeowners, both settled over the phone, agent never even came out.
    1. Wind storm destroyed a steel yard shed. Just sent pics and made a list of things that got destroyed.
    2. Stolen log splitter, this one they required a police report be filed and for me to shop local to see what comparative brands were available.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    I had Progressive, guess they send people around every so often to check on stuff (not sure what). Got a letter while I was overseas saying they were going to cancel my insurance due to no railing on my deck stairs and an undisclosed dog. The railing was not required by code since it was less than a certain height and it was just a lab. Said screw and changed insurance providers to Farmers, who kind of laughed at the reasons. Close to the time Progressive was supposed to expire, started getting calls about renewing. They then said they could work with us on coverage for the dog. Actually had a friend go over to put a railing on the stairs. I was very happy to inform them no work would be required on their part. Actually had my roof replaced due to hail damage, relatively easy process. I am sure I wouldn't have gotten the same ease from Progressive based on a water leak I had in my house which I ended up just paying out of pocket for the plumber and repairing the damage myself.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Allstate here. Switched from State farm, they came in about 1/2 price.
    Had 2 claims on homeowners, both settled over the phone, agent never even came out.
    1. Wind storm destroyed a steel yard shed. Just sent pics and made a list of things that got destroyed.
    2. Stolen log splitter, this one they required a police report be filed and for me to shop local to see what comparative brands were available.
    Wait until you have a real claim. A neighborhood I once lived on had a hail storm go through, everyone insured with an independent company got a new roof, no one with big TV insurance hit a new roof including two that sued SF and Allskate. Their employee claims adjusters said they saw no damage but the independent adjusters did on all the neighbors.

Most independent agent representated companies send independent adjusters not employee adjusters...

Do a search for claims denied by the big TV companies, it will scare the wits out of you.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Wait until you have a real claim. A neighborhood I once lived on had a hail storm go through, everyone insured with an independent company got a new roof, no one with big TV insurance hit a new roof including two that sued SF and Allskate. Their employee claims adjusters said they saw no damage but the independent adjusters did on all the neighbors.

Most independent agent representated companies send independent adjusters not employee adjusters...

Do a search for claims denied by the big TV companies, it will scare the wits out of you.
    Not sure if that should go for all. I know we had a big hail storm in our area. They sent a rep out to check without us even calling. We didn't experience the big hail like some other but, the aluminum chimney and cover was dented some ( possibly was already there being it's from 79). They said they would replace if we wanted to file a claim. I had already been up there and knew it was very little damage. I declined.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Currently Liberty Mutual. They fought well in a recent accident.
    Formerly American Family. When our tenants trashed our house and stole our appliances (cops were not interested in stopping that or helping), we found out that if anyone else took our appliances, we would be covered. But not our own tenants. Lesson learned.

Old Dog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Having a dog raises your rates?
    Yes, with some company's. I had a friend whose little fu-fu dog bit someone, Insurance told him to get rid of the dog in 30 days or they would drop him. Claim was for about $300 @ ER and pain and suffering. I saw the bite, little dog barely broke the skin, but some people can make a mountain out of a molehill.

P.S. Friend told Insurance to FO, and got better coverage for less from another company, including disclosing the dog and bite.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    We've had Geico for 17 years, they recently wanted to raise our rates more than what we thought it should be, we switched to USAA, saved a boatload.....actually went down when we added renters insurance...

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Benn with Allstate or years. Filed a claim for storm damage to our house and the barn when shingles were blown off. They sent the adjuster out and looked at the roofs. Told us it was $450 worth of repairs and our deductible was $1000. They weren't paying to replace the roofs even though the singles are s#@t and we will be chasing repairs in spots until the whole roof is replaced. They are about to loose my business on the homeowners, vehicles, and my policy for side work.

shadow64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Plainfield
    I have statefarm had minor damage to roof from hail they replaced whole roof no questions .
    I thought that was great because there was not much of shingles left 16 yr old roof. Be careful once you get those insurance companies thinking you need coverage they will pester the #### out you .

Top Bottom