• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've got a 13-month old GSD. This is our first spring following a winter. I've heard the horror stories of GSDs and their hair. I thought I was lucky in having one that didn't shed too terribly.

I couldn't have been more wrong. It's falling out like a patient on chemo (no disrespect to chemo patients intended). The crap just keeps coming. I brush and brush and brush and brush and brush and there's no end in sight.

Does it ever end? Even temporarily? Is there anyway this is just a winter coat shedding like horses do? Because I'm going to shave him if this keeps up.

Next dog is hairless.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    This is normal. If the insane shedding does not stop by fall, your dog might need to spend more time outside.

Viking Queen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Colorado
    Furminator, Furminator, Furminator. I worked in the pet store, pet food,grooming tool business for many years and this is an amazing tool. Probably need to use it every day for a couple of weeks. Also fish oil or cod liver oil in their food year round. Feed high quality "natural" ingredient dog food and that will affect the hair, quality of hair, and the shed rate. Takes a while, but makes a huge difference. GSD's do shed a lot, but the furminator is amazing. They even make them for horses. Good luck, enjoy your dog!

Viking Queen

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    As was said above, get the furminator. It seems overpriced in the store next to all the other brushes that are half the price but seriously it works and other products DO NOT stand up to this one.

We also got the furminator brand shampoo and conditioner. It is, well, interesting. I don't think the shampoo does anything special, but the conditioner says it works by "releasing the undercoat during the bath." I don't know how it works but I believe it. My little 17lb guy will clog up a drain with this stuff. The bad part is that this effect stays for a couple days after the bath so for that period of time they shed even MORE than before the bath. We still use it though, we just be sure to use the furminator after the bath.

Top Bottom