• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTFisher93

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Terre Haute, IN
    For personal protection are the Federal Hydroshoks a good Round? I am carrying a S&W 40-06 .40 and i prefer 180grain. Right now i have spear gold dots but i have heard the hydroshoks are much better. :patriot:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hydrashocks are "old" technology.

Gold Dot are fantastic bullets.

Either will work - provided your firearm "likes" them.

There's a reason that many Fed. LEAs issue Gold Dots... They work.

-J-

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I carry the Gold Dot 155grn in my 3.8 XDm .40.

The GD's are a "bonded" bullet, less chance for jacket separation. That enhances penetration and weight retention.

I have found they expand and penetrate good (wet newsprint), while holding together with little to no fragmenting or weight loss.

Lt. Commander

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Ft. Wayne * Aboite
    Shot placement and functionality of a given hollow point round in your firearm is much more critical than choice of brand or feature of design. That being said, any modern day hollow point will do its job just fine over a FMJ round.

Scott

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Please realize bullet performance and shot placement are independent--neither affects the other.

Bullet performance is a technology issue; while shot placement is a training issue. Although they are both parts of defensive shooting, neither is influenced by the other; therefore, discussions of the two should be separated.

Now, on the technology side, not all hollow point bullets pass muster, i.e., FBI protocols for terminal performance, with penetration being the most important criterion. In fact, only a relatively small number of hollow point ammunition offerings make the grade. They are listed here:

Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums The first post.

Hope this helps a bit.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Gold Dots are thick plated bullets.
    Bullet performance--something we know almost nothing about, except in the hunting field but we all have opinions.
    Do you REALLY believe that the government NOW knows what is best for performance? DO YOU need 12" or more of penetration? Do you KNOW what will be behind your target?
    I just don't think that the FBI and other gov't. agencies FINALLY know anything about bullet performance.
    OLD technology still works.
    Question should be: what round appears to be most effective in actual shootings?
    Given the "accuracy" I see from LEOs, they need to learn how to shoot more than they need better ammunition.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    This has been discussed at great length on this forum. Many, many threads about this. As long as you use a modern hollow point that shoots well from your gun, you are good to go. And as said before, shot placement is King.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Two in the thoratic and one in the head and either one will work fine.

To borrow a saying from a friend that is a lawyer and does about 85% or higher of gun related cases:
    "Shot placement is King, adequate penetration is Queen, everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins."

In other words, if you hit a vital area, it doesn't matter if it gets through the clothing of the perp......

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    My personal preference is:

Underwood Gold Dot
    Speer Gold Dot
    Federal HST
    Hornady TAP FPD

Top Bottom