• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Looking at purchasing a Hi Point .45. Totaly unfamilar with them (been a Smith and Ruger man most of my life) but would like to get into a .45 and the price point is pulling me in to them. Any info (not plain old bashing please) would be appreciated.

Bottom line is, would you trust YOUR life on a $200.00 gun?

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I don't know about the .45, but I know the company's warranty is top notch and any time you feel something may be wrong with it, you can send it in and they will replace anything they feel needs replacing for free, regardless of it's age or how many owners it has had.

I have a 995 carbine and I would trust it with my life. Never had a single issue with it, the reliability is certainly there.:yesway:

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Its not the price of the gun that would make me trust my life with it.. I would base that on practice and if the gun goes bang everytime. Im just saying I wouldnt trust ANY gun if I have never shot it.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I have a 995 carbine and I would trust it with my life. Never had a single issue with it, the reliability is certainly there.:yesway:

I agree

Is this a carry gun, bump in the night gun, or target/fun gun? I've held one once and didn't think it was so bad, but I have yet to shoot one, the guy to speak to is crystalship

CrystalShip said:
    Hi-Point firearms... "Slandered by those who have never even shot
    one and loved by those who actually own them."
    Learn the truth:

CLICKY ---> Hipoint Firearms Forums - Index
    CLICKY ---> http://Hi-Point Firearms

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    They aren't pretty...downright ugly in fact...but I have heard only good things about their reliability. In fact (disclaimer...I've never even held one) I only hear about their reliability. So while they may always go bang, I can't attest to their accuracy, durability, etc.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a 995...if it came down to it, I suppose I would trust my life with it. Its never given me reason to feel apprehensive, the accuracy is there, and the reliability is there. Like said above, I wouldn't feel confident until I put some rounds through it, but mine is over 12 years old with countless rounds through it, and I shot it last weekend without a hitch. People will pick on you, but again, who cares...still does the damage if need be...

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Save your $$$ and buy something you know that you won't regret. Another thought: spend your money on something that you will want later. B/c, it's more expensive to spend $200. on 1 gun that is OK, than it is to buy the hipoint now, THEN LATER decide you should have spent the money on the better gun. That ends up being $750 and to FFL interviews, rather than 1 trip to the store and just $500.

You get what you pay for.
    :twocents:

Looking at purchasing a Hi Point .45. Totaly unfamilar with them (been a Smith and Ruger man most of my life) but would like to get into a .45 and the price point is pulling me in to them. Any info (not plain old bashing please) would be appreciated.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne

I was thinking about getting one of these for my wife to use when as home protection when I'm out of town. She hates my M&Pc .40 because of the kick but a high point in a .45 might be heavy enough to absorb the kick. I would like to hear from .45 owners as well on this.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    In addition to what's been said, people that have them seem to like them. I shot a friends .40 and it worked fine for what it is. Although I wouldn't want it for concealed carry - too bulky and blocky.

If you're not expecting to get something as refined as the more expensive offerings from the other major mfgs, then you won't be disappointed.

Just don't kid yourself that there ISN'T a rough correlation between price and quality.

Personally, I think it's kind of amazing what they can offer at that price point and with such a good warranty.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I had a Hi-Point .45 as my first gun. I got rid of it as soon as I could afford something better. I wasn't a fan.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Save your $$$ and buy something you know that you won't regret. Another thought: spend your money on something that you will want later. B/c, it's more expensive to spend $200. on 1 gun that is OK, than it is to buy the hipoint now, THEN LATER decide you should have spent the money on the better gun. That ends up being $750 and to FFL interviews, rather than 1 trip to the store and just $500.

You get what you pay for.
    :twocents:

I certainly don't regret getting the 995 from you...it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. :yesway:

The HP is not only OK, it is awesome. I can't ever see myself not wanting this rifle later down the road. Even if he does pay $200 now, he can always sell it and get his $200 back and upgrade to a more expensive handgun later.:twocents:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.

Steve, Please feel free to click on the links in my signature line. :rockwoot:

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    I have a C-9 and have yet to have a problem with the gun itself... the magazine on the other hand is another story. I recommend polishing the feed ramp of any Hi-Point handgun and ensuring the magazines you have are very functional. I definitely recommend putting 200 rounds through it before you decide its good or not. That's a minimum break in period for one.

Bottom line is, they stand behind their lifetime transferrible warranty and every time i pull the trigger it goes BANG! It's more than accurate enough to hit a human sized target at 10-15 yards (beyond that, get something else not a handgun IMHO).

I was more than able to hit "pop" cans at 15 feet without failure with my C-9. After polishing the feed ramps lightly (removed the paint, then put a mirror finish on it), it feeds WWB, American eagle, JHP's, it eats everything.

No complaints. I had a mag issue and hi-point responded in less than 24 hours telling me to send the defective mag back to the factory and they would send me a brand new one free of charge.

I trust my life with it even as a carry gun. I have and do carry it at least 80% of the time on my fobus paddle holster OWB and it's got a low capacity (single stack mag) for what it is, and kinda heavy (big pot metal blowback frame), but its a working mans gun and I wouldn't be worried about a $150-200 gun getting stolen as much as a $1000 springfield 1911.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I have a C-9 and have yet to have a problem with the gun itself... the magazine on the other hand is another story. I recommend polishing the feed ramp of any Hi-Point handgun and ensuring the magazines you have are very functional. I definitely recommend putting 200 rounds through it before you decide its good or not. That's a minimum break in period for one.

Bottom line is, they stand behind their lifetime transferrible warranty and every time i pull the trigger it goes BANG! It's more than accurate enough to hit a human sized target at 10-15 yards (beyond that, get something else not a handgun IMHO).

I was more than able to hit "pop" cans at 15 feet without failure with my C-9. After polishing the feed ramps lightly (removed the paint, then put a mirror finish on it), it feeds WWB, American eagle, JHP's, it eats everything.

No complaints. I had a mag issue and hi-point responded in less than 24 hours telling me to send the defective mag back to the factory and they would send me a brand new one free of charge.

I trust my life with it even as a carry gun. I have and do carry it at least 80% of the time on my fobus paddle holster OWB and it's got a low capacity (single stack mag) for what it is, and kinda heavy (big pot metal blowback frame), but its a working mans gun and I wouldn't be worried about a $150-200 gun getting stolen as much as a $1000 springfield 1911.

Good advice, although I'd add that ANY semi-auto. shouldn't be considered "broken-in" until a couple of hundred rounds have been put down the pipe. :rockwoot:

I'm always amazed how some folks expect perfection from a $160 gun right out of the box and they are willing to have to tweak and tinker with a $1000 1911 to get it to feed correctly. :dunno:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    That is the best argument, really. I sold b/c I didn't want to have another magazine type around. It's hard enough for me with what I got. Plus, it seems the upgrades weren't around like they are now.

I certainly don't regret getting the 995 from you...it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. :yesway:

The HP is not only OK, it is awesome. I can't ever see myself not wanting this rifle later down the road. Even if he does pay $200 now, he can always sell it and get his $200 back and upgrade to a more expensive handgun later.:twocents:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England

Kyle,

Did I sell you your C-9?

If so sell it to me!
    I'm likley going to pick up another one soon.
    To the OP I have a 995 great gun. Had a C-9 sold and kinda want another now....

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I love my $160 995 carbine, ugly little B-tard :D, just wish I could get the dang thing sighted in better. Other than having to aim low and left to be on target its a great gun. I'm just lazy in the fact that I'd rather throw lead down range than take the time to sight it in properly, not the guns fault. :D

I doubt that I'll ever get rid of it....if I ever really "needed it", lets just say its better than the one I "don't have". :yesway:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I have to seriously disagree with that line! In today's world things are priced based on hype not value! Besides, just because some one buys a Hi Point doesn't mean they can't afford to buy other guns now or in the future.

So, what you are saying is that a Glock, XD, or Sig are only priced what they are b/c of hype? Or, Daniel Defense, Colt, LMT, Larue, are all crap and aren't any better than a super production AR?

I'm afraid you are misinformed. If what say is the case, Surefire, Aimpoint, Eotech; need to sell out and quit manufacturing; b/c NCStar is the best on the market... :n00b::n00b::n00b:

It's more expensive to buy to crap models, than it is to buy something of value and spend the money on something that will last.

Top Bottom