• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    What's the SOP on harassing, um I mean pulling someone over when you are NOT in your community of patrol? Is it within your "rights" as an officer or just being a jackwagon?
    To be clear, I'm just talking about a traffic infraction. (sort of) So, no danger to anyone, etc. Let's just use "rolling through a neighborhood stop sign" as an example. Cuz you know EVERYBODY does it.
    Then you get pulled over and yelled at and threatened with a tow/impound by MR. PD who is a LEO from 5 towns to the east that happens to live in your neighborhood. WTF is up with that? Legal? or not?
    I'll give the actual story after some Officer input. Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hell, the beat cop in my hood that works first shift ALWAYS blows through the stop by my house. Sometimes he even slows down. ( every couple weeks he is going by as I'm getting in my car to leave)

What's more ironic is its in front of another cop's house.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Just drive like a cop is behind you at all times.

Though I'll admit I've prescribed to the, "No cop, no stop" rule in the past when in neighborhoods. A rolling stop in a residential area with a slow speedlimit is the driving equivalent of jay walking safely across the street when no traffic is coming, at least in my opinion. I would imagine a cop would have to be bored or just trying to increase his stop count to appear to be productive to enforce it as you have described (aggressively). But then again, I don't jay walk directly in front of officers nor would I do a rolling stop either so you can't blame the officer for doing his job...

So back to point one, just drive like a cop is behind you at all times.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indiana LEO's have 100% police powers anywhere in the state.

This. I can, in theory, pull you over for a traffic stop anywhere in the state as long as I'm in a marked car or in a police uniform*. Now to issue a citation, I need a ticket book for that particular county. I can call for a local guy to bring me one, already have it with me, or what not but I can't write you in Clark County on a Marion County ticket book.**

* For traffic infractions. I can pull you over for non traffic offenses, such as being a robbery suspect, and not be subject to that same requirement.

**Most departments have now gone to e-ticket and not physical ticket books. I don't have e-ticket since I don't run traffic and don't have a printer in my car. I would hazard a guess that e-ticket can be set to send the ticket to the correct court based on where the stop is made, but I never thought about it until just now. I bet an ISP trooper could say for sure, since they routinely patrol multiple counties.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, he's real. There's a cop every block in my neighborhood. The thing is the rest are town cops, and sheriffs, along with one or two state troopers, but this guy has some sort of "issue" of being king of the streets or some crap.
    Here's the deal, my kid - 16 - is coming home last night on his scooter from a friends house about 4 blocks away. Regular thing. Some other kid is riding along side him, they come to a cross street and the other kid blows the stop sign. Officer friendly, must have been coming home at the same time. He proceeds to then pull in front of my son, blocking him from proceeding - he's stopped at the intersection - and tells him that "he sees that scooter going through the neighborhood an aweful lot".
    Really? No poop? Maybe because he lives here?
    Then, he tells him he should call his parents and have the scooter towed and that stop means stop. Mind you, the kid that blew the stop is gone. Really? Come on.
    That is complete BS.
    This is not the first time I've heard of this officer doing this sort of thing either.
    The whole thing just pissed me off. Seems like a gross overstep of bounds.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Yeah, he's real. There's a cop every block in my neighborhood. The thing is the rest are town cops, and sheriffs, along with one or two state troopers, but this guy has some sort of "issue" of being king of the streets or some crap.
    Here's the deal, my kid - 16 - is coming home last night on his scooter from a friends house about 4 blocks away. Regular thing. Some other kid is riding along side him, they come to a cross street and the other kid blows the stop sign. Officer friendly, must have been coming home at the same time. He proceeds to then pull in front of my son, blocking him from proceeding - he's stopped at the intersection - and tells him that "he sees that scooter going through the neighborhood an aweful lot".
    Really? No poop? Maybe because he lives here?
    Then, he tells him he should call his parents and have the scooter towed and that stop means stop. Mind you, the kid that blew the stop is gone. Really? Come on.
    That is complete BS.
    This is not the first time I've heard of this officer doing this sort of thing either.
    The whole thing just pissed me off. Seems like a gross overstep of bounds.

Maybe you should call his department and complain. You would probably get a more tangible result than *****ing about it on INGO.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wait, the other kid blew the stop sign, but your kid stopped completely? I'm not sure why the officer would have any grounds for threatening to have your kid's scooter towed. Am I missing something? :scratch:

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    He said she said we said they said. An overzealous LEO in the neighborhood works for me..unless he/she stops me. Then he's a jack-booted, power hungry, pawn of the state. Pills help.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    This. I can, in theory, pull you over for a traffic stop anywhere in the state as long as I'm in a marked car or in a police uniform*. Now to issue a citation, I need a ticket book for that particular county. I can call for a local guy to bring me one, already have it with me, or what not but I can't write you in Clark County on a Marion County ticket book.**

* For traffic infractions. I can pull you over for non traffic offenses, such as being a robbery suspect, and not be subject to that same requirement.

**Most departments have now gone to e-ticket and not physical ticket books. I don't have e-ticket since I don't run traffic and don't have a printer in my car. I would hazard a guess that e-ticket can be set to send the ticket to the correct court based on where the stop is made, but I never thought about it until just now. I bet an ISP trooper could say for sure, since they routinely patrol multiple counties.

With the ECWS version of e-ticket one can write tickets anywhere by simply selecting the correct jurisdiction's court info. I did a DRE exam in Hamilton county and was nearly killed by some jackwagon running a stoplight on my way home. He got a ticket.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Indiana LEO's have 100% police powers anywhere in the state.
    ^^ This. ^^

Well, "the other kid" thing has been around as long as there were kids, LOL. Wasn't there, but I'm guessing the LEO saw the OP's son run the stop sign or whatever. Unless the kids have similar scooters, clothing, look somewhat alike, etc.

IMO, better to get a scolding than to actually get a ticket, have the scooter towed, etc. But, as noted, I wasn't there.

ARE there "King Of The Street" types out there? Sure. But let's be honest, they're not only LEO's, either.

Top Bottom