• ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    How are those reasons mutually exclusive? :dunno:

I'm not saying that they are. You can OC to make a political statement and to protect yourself. The post I was referring to implied that people need to be doing both. I just think there are many people who carry because they appreciate the need for protection but don't want to "fight the good fight" in the process. I don't think people should be made to feel like they have to be making a political statement simply because they choose to be prepared. That, however, is fodder for a different debate.

If the agenda or statement is protecting our right to carry, more people should consider standing up and making that statement. The sheep need to become familiar with the sight of a gun and the guys that OC are the only ones promoting that. If we all simply CC'd, we'd end up like Wisconsin where the bulk of the population wet themselves at the sight of a gun.

All of us believe in the right to carry. I think all of us should OC once in a while in a responsible manner to help protect that right. The folks in CA have had their rights stripped and are left with only empty OC right now. In Wisconsin, they only allow OC, but some police have gone on record saying they will not allow it in their jurisdiction.

The anti-gun crowd does not want the average citizen to become comfortable with the sight of a gun. That weakens their ability to promote an anti-gun agenda. If the anti-gunners tell the sheep that only criminals carry guns, they don't want them thinking that 'Gee, Bob from church carries a gun and he sure is not a criminal'. The anti-gun crowd would rather Bob from church CC so the sheep don't get any counter programming to the anti-gun party line.

Anyone that enjoys the respect of their community needs to OC once in a while to acclimate the sheep to the fact that good people carry guns to protect themselves from bad people. If you are not willing to support 2A, then the least you can do is to A: Give credit to those that do and B: don't knock OC because it's not your thing. The folks that responsibly OC are doing all of us a favor.

I understand the point you're making but I feel that people being prepared to defend themselves is more important that trying to "further the cause." Simply put, there are some people out there who just aren't willing to make that leap and I don't think they deserve protection any less than those who are willing. I don't know how to put this so as not to enter into an OC/CC debate but there have been occasions on this site where someone OC'ing has gotten "attention" (other times none at all) due to their carry method. For some people that attention is not a problem and no big deal, but for others it may be. For the ones who don't want that attention, OC may be a problem. Their choice then becomes "to carry or not to carry" rather than "to OC or not to OC."

That needs to change. Everyone has to be down for the struggle.

As I stated above, that's probably material for a different thread. I'd rather have people protecting themselves and their family than being down for the struggle. If they can do both, so much the better.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    No. That's the exact purpose for which I opened the thread.

Understood. I thought the thread was in support of OC rather than whether people should be made to feel like they need to "join the fight" if they are going to excercise their rights. My apologies for the misunderstanding, I didn't want to derail your thread.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    That needs to change. Everyone has to be down for the struggle.

OC'ers need people like you to lead by example. You are a great American, being that next time you are stopped and hassled about your OC you will merely smirk at the LEO and be on your way....you do plan to lead by example, dont you?

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    whats with the old guy bashing?....23 yr old would wet his pants....give me a war seasoned vet anytime.....to all nam vets..korean vets..and ww2 vets....i salute you...and woul'nt want anyone else behind me when 5 guns are pointed at me...cause they've been there and done that....

im only 24. whats with the young guy bashing? nothing in iraq or afghanistan has been Normandy or Iwo Jima, but we do what we can.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    im only 24. whats with the young guy bashing? nothing in iraq or afghanistan has been Normandy or Iwo Jima, but we do what we can.
    no young guy bashing here...a salute to the young men and women who have ,are, and still serving the greatest country in the world...:patriot: was just dusting off the old folks horn..we don't get to blow it to often anymore..

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm not saying that they are. You can OC to make a political statement and to protect yourself. The post I was referring to implied that people need to be doing both. I just think there are many people who carry because they appreciate the need for protection but don't want to "fight the good fight" in the process. I don't think people should be made to feel like they have to be making a political statement simply because they choose to be prepared. That, however, is fodder for a different debate.

I understand the point you're making but I feel that people being prepared to defend themselves is more important that trying to "further the cause." Simply put, there are some people out there who just aren't willing to make that leap and I don't think they deserve protection any less than those who are willing. I don't know how to put this so as not to enter into an OC/CC debate but there have been occasions on this site where someone OC'ing has gotten "attention" (other times none at all) due to their carry method. For some people that attention is not a problem and no big deal, but for others it may be. For the ones who don't want that attention, OC may be a problem. Their choice then becomes "to carry or not to carry" rather than "to OC or not to OC."

As I stated above, that's probably material for a different thread. I'd rather have people protecting themselves and their family than being down for the struggle. If they can do both, so much the better.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is why a lot of CC only guys give OC'rs such a bad time. It's probably safe to say that all of us support CC but the mention of OC almost always results in someone bashing an OCr. I'd simply like to see the folks that responsibly OC given the credit they are due for making a choice that can benefit all of us. Do OCrs risk a highter level of scrutiny from LEOs? Of course, but feel it's a risk worth taking.

The fact is, we need to get the message out that good people carry guns too and OCing is a good way to do that. You are not going to communicate that message with CC.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Our elite "Anti-Open Carry Unit". Here come the boogieman!!!!!!!!!!
    peruvian-antiriot.jpg
    better make jokes about it now....... its closer than ya think....

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    +1 QFT

I CC because it keeps me safe. I don't OC because I live in Bloomington and have gotten enough crap from people who know I carry and disagree with it.

I don't need it from more people I don't know.

I would OC if I lived somewhere more tolerable to the idea, and would if I had a OC holster, and definitely would on the way to the range if there were any ranges to go to near here. However, it's just not in the cards. Why stress myself out much over something that's not going to happen.

In the wise words of Gandalf, 'Keep it secret, keep it safe.'

Take some of these people shooting go to a range and show them that there is little to fear. Most of them will have FUN a lot of anti's are this way because of a lack of experience. What they see in the movies (peoples heads being blown to pieces with a .22) and hear about on the news and read in the anti media. I think taking them shooting will do more than arguing and trying to change there minds.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Take some of these people shooting go to a range and show them that there is little to fear. Most of them will have FUN a lot of anti's are this way because of a lack of experience. What they see in the movies (peoples heads being blown to pieces with a .22) and hear about on the news and read in the anti media. I think taking them shooting will do more than arguing and trying to change there minds.

That's my tactic with any friend of mine who is either anti-gun or just nervous about it.

Random folks? No way in hell, not until I know you a little more. But it is a successful tactic. Once they realize it can be fun, they seem to see everything in a new light.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I know its stupid,but I still feel like I'm doing something to hide, and I have a LTCH, I know my gun prints sometimes but I don't care. My wife will ask me sometimes" why aren't you having a beer", and I whisper "I'm carrying"

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I know its stupid,but I still feel like I'm doing something to hide, and I have a LTCH, I know my gun prints sometimes but I don't care. My wife will ask me sometimes" why aren't you having a beer", and I whisper "I'm carrying"

That's just the stigma we're talking about.

Honestly, I don't carry and drink, usually. I have... and I've been to a couple bars carrying. But I'm going to be the sober one out at that point.

Top Bottom