• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Was drilling out a pilot for tapping a stuck 223 case and my bit broke (I'm sure my expander ball is in the case still) and now I'm at a loss on how to remove the case.... maybe dremal cut the rest of the case then hope what's inside can be pushed or folded on its self? :xmad:

20121208_115416.jpg

20121208_115409.jpg

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Is there enough room to get some vice grips or needle nose pliers on the bit to back/spin that out... Or vise grips good and tight on the outside of the case base and try spinnning back and forth while pulling to try and free it. I'd try the vise grip to the base first...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    With that hardened drill bit broken in there, things get more complicated. I once used Muratic acid, like you use on the swimming pool. Drop the die in a jar of that for a while. The stuff will eat away at the brass. I would not put your whole 550 dillon plate in it, it may eat die cast metal also. Rinse it off with LOTS of water and see if it will loosen the brass. Rinse your die with hot water and get it well oiled to keep it from rusting. I did this exactly once and it worked exactly once. I changed my case lube to the Dillon product and have not stuck one since. Good Luck

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    If you Dremel cut around the rim and remove the base of the case the bit should come out with it right? Then you would be able to collapse the case inward to loosen it .

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you Dremel cut around the rim and remove the base of the case the bit should come out with it right? Then you would be able to collapse the case inward to loosen it .

Yes, if he was able to cut away the entire web. I can't tell by looking at the pic if he has enough exposed though.

I wouldn't be optimistic he could "turn " it out with a good set of vice grips, but if he had access to a robust single stage, maybe locking on with vice grips and giving a few sharp blows to the vice grips them self might get it moving ?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Yes, if he was able to cut away the entire web. I can't tell by looking at the pic if he has enough exposed though.

I wouldn't be optimistic he could "turn " it out with a good set of vice grips, but if he had access to a robust single stage, maybe locking on with vice grips and giving a few sharp blows to the vice grips them self might get it moving ?

If I'm looking at this right he needs about .3 inches for standard brass maybe a little more if it is military brass to remove the web.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Next time, all you have to do is remove the collet that holds the neck resizing pin and primer punch then use a dead blow, plastic hammer or a hammer and piece of wood to drive the case out.

I have done this more than once. Switched back to RCBS II lube and pad, problem of stuck cases went away. Hornady One Shot caused more stuck cases than I care to recall!

Hope it works out for you on this one though.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    RNM - One-Shot strikes again? :dunno:

In all of the above, also consider removing the die from the shell plate and putting it in a deep freeze, first. Different metals contract at different rates and sometimes this action, alone, is enough to allow you to remove a stuck case.

ISD wax FTW!

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'd throw the die in the trash. You're going to have a hell of a time getting that out.

Don't put vice grips on the brass....you'll just destroy the rim. Brass is much softer than the vice grip jaws.

Good luck.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Drill bits are brittle

You can shatter the drill bit with a small steel punch and the pieces will fall into the die.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    This was a case I was using to change decapping die depth... whenever I'm not "loading" I always forget to lube... routine routine routine! The decapping pin was stuck through the flash hole, after I tried using the ball/thread combo to push the case out. The rod bent, the bit broke, I sheared the flat head slot, and jammed a screw driver into my thumb nail... I'm having a bad shop day!

I'm at the fire house tomorrow so I'm walking away from this today...regrouping

I can't grab the drill bit.

I think I can easily cut the case, remove the primer pocket/rim, then freeze and dowel rod knock out.

Top Bottom