• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I would start with a lighter beer and work your way up, maybe a Leinenkugel Honey Weiss or a Sam Adams Boston Lager. Best thing to do is find a bar with several on tap and a bar tender that will let you sample them. Snaps in Jasper is a great place for that, and the bartender Zac really knows his stuff.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    I've read this thread several times (had to go to work yesterday after I posted), and I appreciate the advice. Definitely going to try some of the suggestions, thanks!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    My nephew asked me the same question a few days ago, and I'll give you the same advice.

All you really need to know is three words.... I. P. A. !

The first one, you may not even be able to finish. The second will begin to taste good. After that, you're good to go!

My question for you non-beer lovers...if you don't like beer, why not just drink what you do like?
    I

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I never cared much for IPA's. There are a small handful I enjoy, but be careful when you tell people things like that. They might think "I don't like IPA, so I won't like anything else, either!" We're in a golden age of American craft beers. There are dozens of styles and hundreds of flavors. Don't limit yourself to IPA just because.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Generally speaking, I don't like beer. I especially don't like "American Style Lagers". I also don't like IPAs, most stouts, hoppy anything.

What I do like? Wheat beers that are on the sweet end. (yes, I do have a sweet tooth...)

Blue Moon was the first "beer" that I consumed more than a few sips of. I like ShockTop's Belgian White is good, as well as their Raspberry Wheat. I also like Leinenkugel's "flavored" stuff like Summer Shandy, Honey Weiss, Sunset Wheat, Berry Weiss, and Lemon Berry Shandy.

I've also recently become a fan of the "apple ales" that seem to be all the rage. A ShockTop seasonal is their Honeycrisp Apple Wheat, Red's Apple Ale, and Michelob Ultra Light Cider. Of course, there's heavy debate even considering any of the above to be "beer" at all.

Also, if you're in Indy, Oaken Barrel's Razzy Wheat is pretty good, too, in my estimation.

Word of advice: if you don't like the taste of it, don't drink it. Simple enough. No need to force yourself to drink something "just because".

-J-

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    When I do drink, right now I limit myself to mostly wine and hard alcohol. I like dry wines and in hard a I stick to scotch, vodka, whisky and tequila. Most of the time, I don't mix most of that either. Most I ever do in terms of mixed drinks is Crown and coke, screwdrivers, and the occasional vodka/Sprite mix. But beer, I've never seemed to be able to get into beer. Maybe it's the stuff I've tried (Miller/Bud/Old Style), or maybe it's an acquired taste. But I'd like to actually start liking beer. What do you recommend to a newbie beer drinker? What can get me started down the beer snobbery path?

If you don't currently like the taste why would you want to force the issue?

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Go to a store that will let you build a 6 pack build a couple random six packs take them home and try them out you will start to figure out what you like and dislike real quick. My beer taste also change with the weather. I like heavier stouts and porters in the winter and prefer light wheats or ales in the summer. I'm far from a beer snob but have gotten to the point where I know if I'm gonna like or dislike a beer by it's general classification. I still build random 6's cause there is always something new out there.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Completely my issue, too.

I've tried whisky/whiskey/burbon and etc... I don't like the taste of them. Therefore, I don't drink them! What a novel concept. If I have an adult beverage, I do so for the TASTE - not for the effects of mass quantities of an intoxicant.

That said, I will continue to "taste" various things. A) I may find something that I do like, and B) taste buds change over time.

Case in point: As a general rule, I also don't like wines. I especially don't like dry ones... Anyhow, I have found that I rather enjoy Huber Winery's ice wine. But - it is VERY sweet. (Can't afford to buy it, but I like the taste!)

Same with the beers: I know that I probably won't like something, but I taste it to be sure. I never would've known that I like a lot of Leinenkugel's products had I not tasted one.

But forcing oneself to acquire a taste - I think that's dumb.

You can acquire a taste for toilet water, too, I suspect. But why would you want to?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

I didn't like iced tea until I forced myself to drink it because I was tired of soda. Now it's my favorite drink. Tastes change and sometimes they need a little push. What's wrong with that?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Maybe the OP wants to taste what hes' missing. With all the hype about craft beer, I don't blame him. I needed a push to get into sours. At the time, they were expensive and exotic. Now I actively seek out beers* that are sour and smell like a petting zoo in August.

* Example: Lindeman's Cuvee Rene

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    ill just add these two things.

if you dont like beer? so what? there is nothing wrong with staying with the liquer and wine you already like. beer is an aquired taste and you probable wont like it at first. if you dont want to drink you beers you dont like to aquire the taste, then so be it. stay a wine man.

second, if you do continue to try beer, they have to be COLD. even the best beers will taste poor if they are starting to warm up and terrible if they are nearing room temperature. but that can be said for most things. lemonade, soda etc, so im sure you know that.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ill just add these two things.

second, if you do continue to try beer, they have to be COLD. even the best beers will taste poor if they are starting to warm up and terrible if they are nearing room temperature. but that can be said for most things. lemonade, soda etc, so im sure you know that.

lies, lies, and more lies!

No, beers do NOT have to be COLD.

Ice-cold beer is an American tradition. Probably an attempt to make "american beers" taste better.

SOME beers are probably best consumed ice cold.

Many traditional European beers are served at 50-60* and have been crafted to taste the best at those temperatures.

-J-

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    second, if you do continue to try beer, they have to be COLD. even the best beers will taste poor if they are starting to warm up and terrible if they are nearing room temperature.

That's terrible advice. I can name at least a dozen excellent beers right off the top of my head that should NEVER be served ice cold.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    well, i haven't had many beers that would typically be called European beers. so ill take your word for it. I usually drink beer as a refreshment on a hot day so may not like those types of beer anyway.

which is not say the OP wouldn't like them or would drink them for the same reason I would.

What is the OPs reason for wanting to get into beer more? a social convention thing? refreshment? to become knowledgable in the beers?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I never cared much for IPA's. There are a small handful I enjoy, but be careful when you tell people things like that. They might think "I don't like IPA, so I won't like anything else, either!" We're in a golden age of American craft beers. There are dozens of styles and hundreds of flavors. Don't limit yourself to IPA just because.

Your right! I know I miss out on some great beers because I tend to stick with IPA's.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom