• ...and so much more!
  • jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    What about an angled fore grip versus a hand stop? Opinions there? (I haven't tried either, but I doubt I'll be in a position to try them before just picking one to buy)
    @Dechrissen

I put the type of foregrip in the personal preference category. On rifles which might have a social use, I prefer an angled foregrip. On hunting / plinking rifles I lean toward a relatively stubby vertical foregrip.

Admittedly, I am a bit of an odd bird on the issue of foregrips. I am a big believer in being able to drive the rifle hard into the firing shoulder to improve accuracy. I usually use two fingers on the forward flat face of a Magpul AFG, the other two on the angled surface and C clamp my thumb over the top, pulling fairly hard into my shoulder. I find the angle makes the grip more comfortable for my hand, especially if i have to maintain the grip for any length of time.

The main thing is to find what works for you, including comfort over time.

Last edited:

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    1. The Stock: I like the CTR but I have a Charlie Brown head to weld is no problem.

2. The Charging Handle: it's job is to kill you, yeet it over the berm. Lots of good ones now--Radian, BCM, Gieselle, etc. Ambi is cool I have ambi for malf drills and admin.

3. The Grip: I like Magpul MOE, others are cool too.
    Thanks for the list!

Based one people's suggestions, I went ahead and ordered a CTR stock and a K2 grip to start. I should get some irons sights soon, but I'll do a bit of research. Although the Magpul backups are looking like the route to go.

I am a big believer in being able to drive the rifle hard into the firing shoulder to improve accuracy.
    That's a good point for the foregrips. I think I might like that aspect... will try some soon and see what I like. Thanks. :)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    All great advice so far, and the thing it shows is the individuality of it all.

I started out with a couple of TLR 1’s but wanted to be able to move them around, so I am set up on all mine with a short section of rail on the left side of the handguard, and can reach the standard TLR switch with my thumb. It’s pretty far forward and I like the front sling mount just behind it, and the rear sling mount on the buffer tube end plate, QD’s on both ends of a BCM Vickers sling.

Just what I’ve gravitated too, I’m sure there’s plenty of fault to be found in my setup by the pros.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    All great advice so far, and the thing it shows is the individuality of it all.

I started out with a couple of TLR 1’s but wanted to be able to move them around, so I am set up on all mine with a short section of rail on the left side of the handguard, and can reach the standard TLR switch with my thumb. It’s pretty far forward and I like the front sling mount just behind it, and the rear sling mount on the buffer tube end plate, QD’s on both ends of a BCM Vickers sling.

Just what I’ve gravitated too, I’m sure there’s plenty of fault to be found in my setup by the pros.

I don't like QDs on the stock end of the sling. I've seen a lot of them come undone accidentally after the button gets pushed inadvertently by gear. Some of my rifles still have them out of convenience, though.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I don't like QDs on the stock end of the sling. I've seen a lot of them come undone accidentally after the button gets pushed inadvertently by gear. Some of my rifles still have them out of convenience, though.
    Interesting. My buttons are pretty stiff and somewhat recessed, combined with the fact that I don’t attach to the stock often, but the buffer tube plate.
    Have you really seen them come loose from the buffer tube endplate?

ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I think I can speak for all here that there is no secret sauce to a perfect parts list. We can give are recommendations, and there are certain parts that are way better than others, but ultimately you'll likely go through the process of experimenting with what is perfect for you. ARs are intimate extensions of ourselves, either through aesthetics and/or functionality, and is why people often drop thousands upon thousands on builds.

Philosophy time over, I personally like the 2.1 sling system. The 2.1 I refer to is a 2 point QD sling with an additional QD adapter at the rear end of the sling. The idea is you can convert it from a 2 point to a 1 point on the fly and vice/versa by changing the front QD connection. I usually install a buffer end plate with a QD point, as well as an attachable point when my front handguard doesn't already have one. I have a Blueforce Vickers 2.1 sling, but prefer Magpul 2.1 slings, mainly because I prefer the slick polymer over the rough canvas.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    Update: I've got the rifle configured with some new things.
    • CTR stock
    • K2 grip
    • MBUS 2 backup iron sights
    • some of the Magpul rail covers
    Still need to figure out a solution for mounting my sling. But I'm mostly good to go on Version 1 of this rifle. Time to go put some rounds through it. :ar15:

ar.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    One I just finished. HD set up.

The rifle is an LMT Defender.
    Sig Romeo 4 XT PRO on a Scalarworks mount.
    Troy BUIS (I had them already)
    B5 Bravo stock
    BCM MOD3 grip
    Slate Black handguard covers and fore grip
    Reptilia TORCH light body
    Malkoff devices torch head
    Surefire DS tail cap and SR07 remote switch
    Cloud defensive switch holder
    Magpul MS1 sling

I may have gone a little over budget with this one but I really like how it turned out.

Attachments

• 20230512_140927.jpg
      20230512_140927.jpg
      278.8 KB · Views: 10

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    One I just finished. HD set up.

The rifle is an LMT Defender.
    Sig Romeo 4 XT PRO on a Scalarworks mount.
    Troy BUIS (I had them already)
    B5 Bravo stock
    BCM MOD3 grip
    Slate Black handguard covers and fore grip
    Reptilia TORCH light body
    Malkoff devices torch head
    Surefire DS tail cap and SR07 remote switch
    Cloud defensive switch holder
    Magpul MS1 sling

I may have gone a little over budget with this one but I really like how it turned out.
    Very nice! Can I ask the total damage? (to your wallet)

I like your light setup. It's the one thing I'm not a fan of with mine, but hey it was free, so I can't complain. I will upgrade that in the future though.

I did finish mine yesterday actually. I got my sling mounting hardware from BCM in the mail and mounted my VTAC sling. Will get a pic soon.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I like your light setup. It's the one thing I'm not a fan of with mine, but hey it was free, so I can't complain. I will upgrade that in the future though.
    I will say I really like the Reptilia Corp TORCH light body. It's a unimount design so it's all one piece. Lots of options to choose from. However they WILL NOT work for every set up and every configuration. But If they do work for how you want the gun set up, they are about the best IMHO.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Good add on the KAG. That’s typically my go to. The stubby VFGs rom BCM are good too when used more like a hand stop than a VFG (this is how they are intended to be used).

Looks like you’ve got it in a good place. Haven’t made the mistake of going overboard or loading it up with cheap wish.com or red anodized parts like many first time AR owners. You’ve done well. Enjoy it!

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    Good add on the KAG. That’s typically my go to. The stubby VFGs rom BCM are good too when used more like a hand stop than a VFG (this is how they are intended to be used).

Looks like you’ve got it in a good place. Haven’t made the mistake of going overboard or loading it up with cheap wish.com or red anodized parts like many first time AR owners. You’ve done well. Enjoy it!

Thanks :) just sighted it in to 40-50 yards yesterday. Runs great. I will say the KAG was a little awkward in practice, I might have to mess with its placement.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Generally speaking, I set up my ARs pretty much all the same weather it be the SBR (shown here) the 14.5 P&W, whatever. Only my 18" SPR is different, as it, being a precision gun, has a different mission.

Red dot goes as far forward as possible, on the receiver... so just above the ejection port.

BUIS are always mounted. (AND zeroed) I rarely use them, it's true, as they are only "back ups" , but should I need those back ups... they'll need to hit right.

Light goes where it's out of the way with my strong hand grip. I'll shoot week handed only when I have to, so if it's in the way with that hand, it will be much less often. Either way, I put the switch on the top so it's easily accessable with either hand, and in the same manner. I also try to put the light as far forward as possible, both to minimize shadow, and to give my off hand more room when shooting week handed. I also try to keep it as close to the weapon as I can to prevent it snagging on every single thing in the environment.

Fast adjust, 2 point sling goes from the right side of the stock, to the most forward spot on the handguard on the left side. (right handed shooter) I found having it attached to the right of the stock makes transitioning to shooting left handed a lot easier, should I need to to clear a corner that way.

A VFG or AFG are shooter's choice, but I like them. Many others prefer the "C" grip. As far back as 18 years ago when on my last career ending deployment... I've used a funky hybrid grip with my thumb over the top, forefinger pointing along the side, then have the lower 3 pulling back on the foregrip. I have (for me) the best control that way... but hey, you do you. BTW, an IED ended my career, not my funky grip... My grip successfully ended some other careers though... lol.

Internet Copy with can.jpg

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    Light goes where it's out of the way with my strong hand grip. I'll shoot week handed only when I have to, so if it's in the way with that hand, it will be much less often. Either way, I put the switch on the top so it's easily accessable with either hand, and in the same manner. I also try to put the light as far forward as possible, both to minimize shadow, and to give my off hand more room when shooting week handed. I also try to keep it as close to the weapon as I can to prevent it snagging on every single thing in the environment.

Fast adjust, 2 point sling goes from the right side of the stock, to the most forward spot on the handguard on the left side. (right handed shooter) I found having it attached to the right of the stock makes transitioning to shooting left handed a lot easier, should I need to to clear a corner that way.

A VFG or AFG are shooter's choice, but I like them. Many others prefer the "C" grip. As far back as 18 years ago when on my last career ending deployment... I've used a funky hybrid grip with my thumb over the top, forefinger pointing along the side, then have the lower 3 pulling back on the foregrip. I have (for me) the best control that way... but hey, you do you. BTW, an IED ended my career, not my funky grip... My grip successfully ended some other careers though... lol.

Yeah, I have been having some issues with the QD mount point for the sling along the handguard. I placed it as close to the receiver as possible on the left side, and I like that placement, but it's getting in the way of my hand/wrist. I might try putting it farther down.

The fore grip will need to be moved, whether it's more forward or more back, but I like my support hand closer into my body. Right now it's just getting in the way.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Thanks :) just sighted it in to 40-50 yards yesterday. Runs great. I will say the KAG was a little awkward in practice, I might have to mess with its placement.
    It may take a little getting used to if you aren’t used to a C clam grip as they’re intended for. Really meant to be something to pull against. I’ve seen people try to use them like a vertical grip for some reason.

If you don’t get used to it and doesn’t fit your style, try a stubby grip like the BCM or Tango Down next. The method, or a version of it (I do two fingers on the grip and two along the rail, thumb over top) that daddyusmaximus mentioned above is also a very effective and natural grip, somewhat between a. C clamp and a traditional broom handle grip.

Of course it’s ultimately up to what works for you, but physics dictates that traditional long fore grips and whole hand on it is not effective for stabilization. The possible exception being with full auto MAYBE, but I’d even argue against that. And if you aren’t using all the real estate then it’s just more length to get snagged on things.

Anyway, happy shooting, welcome to the AR gang.

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    If you don’t get used to it and doesn’t fit your style, try a stubby grip like the BCM or Tango Down next. The method, or a version of it (I do two fingers on the grip and two along the rail, thumb over top) that daddyusmaximus mentioned above is also a very effective and natural grip, somewhat between a. C clamp and a traditional broom handle grip.
    Yes, I might end up trying out more of a stubby grip. Just gotta play with it for a bit.

Thanks!

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Yeah, I have been having some issues with the QD mount point for the sling along the handguard. I placed it as close to the receiver as possible on the left side, and I like that placement, but it's getting in the way of my hand/wrist. I might try putting it farther down.

The fore grip will need to be moved, whether it's more forward or more back, but I like my support hand closer into my body. Right now it's just getting in the way.
    Close to the body does give you more strength, and that can be good for retention in a struggle for the weapon, or for when you're tired after a long day.

However, for quick, precise handling, you really are better with your hand a bit farther out. You can transition from one target to the next quicker, then stop it from over traveling so much once you get there. It's like naturally pointing at what you want to destroy.

Top Bottom